Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scarves.. (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74993)

KristinCB 11-05-2013 12:22 PM

Scarves..

I've never been one to wear them but i LOVE pretty scarves and want to maybe attempt this accessory this winter for myself.

Where do you buy yours? any tips and suggestions?

Milmomma 11-05-2013 12:32 PM

I buy them anywhere I see one I love. My last one was from Target. :D

KristinCB 11-05-2013 12:36 PM

I'm really not very fashionable.. I don't really know how to pair scarves properly with shirts either :/

NeverendingJen 11-05-2013 12:44 PM

target is one of my favorite places for pretty scarves. most of the rest of mine are still left from ym time in Italy...I got tons of silk scarves and other pretty scarves there for dirt cheap(like $3-7 each).

NeverendingJen 11-05-2013 12:45 PM

and I wear mostly solid colored shirts and sweaters, so I don't mind pairing funky patterns that way. I tend to stick to pretty classic pieces most of the time, but if it calls me name...its fair game.

KristinCB 11-05-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1170164)
target is one of my favorite places for pretty scarves. most of the rest of mine are still left from ym time in Italy...I got tons of silk scarves and other pretty scarves there for dirt cheap(like $3-7 each).

:p must be nice! LOL!

Rubia Padilha 11-05-2013 12:49 PM

I have two (here and here) and I love them!! Make me feel so fancy! HAHAHAH

And here's a image to help... :)
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...c3769c9e09.jpg

KristinCB 11-05-2013 12:50 PM

I love you ru <3

Rubia Padilha 11-05-2013 12:51 PM

hahaha because I'm fancy? LOL

KristinCB 11-05-2013 12:53 PM

yes!

Rubia Padilha 11-05-2013 12:54 PM

hahahah silly! <3

carrie1977 11-05-2013 01:02 PM

I want to wear scarves, too! I'm going to look at Target and see what I can find!

We can try this out together! Lol

fifilur 11-05-2013 01:16 PM

I love scarves! But I'm not very good with patterns and mostly do solid colors. If I'm wearing neutral colors I grab a colorful scarf and if I'm wearing a brightly colored top I pair it with a neutral scarf. Can't help with where to buy though since I'm not in the US.

eranslow 11-05-2013 01:18 PM

I LOVE scarves! I've found some all over - gap, target, TJ Maxx, etc. I usually wear them with a t-shirt or a cardigan. One of my favorite accessories :)

lingovise 11-05-2013 01:30 PM

i used to wear a lot of winter scarves, but don't have much need for them here in SC. and i've tried to wear fancy/dressy scarves... but just feel like a total goob in them. like a scarfwearingwannabefreakazoid. i can't pull it off.

KristinCB 11-05-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingovise (Post 1170187)
like a scarfwearingwannabefreakazoid.

I sure do love you. hahaha

catgoddess 11-05-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

i used to wear a lot of winter scarves, but don't have much need for them here in SC. and i've tried to wear fancy/dressy scarves... but just feel like a total goob in them. like a scarfwearingwannabefreakazoid. i can't pull it off.

Ya. This. I love winter scarves, but I haven't lived in Florida long enough for 80 to feel cold to wear them here. :D

I tried wearing fancy scarves because some are sososo pretty. In my mind I looked glamorous like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, but in reality, I looked like I had a weird blanket trying to choke me.

I gave all my scarves to my mom, who wears them all the time and looks fabulous. I think if you can make them work, they look fantastic.

dana 11-05-2013 01:39 PM

i love scarves! i was just about to point you to the same sort of info graphic as ru did … there are also youtube videos you can find :)

Lyd 11-05-2013 01:59 PM

I want in on this too. I've never worn a scarf, but I've been wanting to try them lately. It's hard to know where to start.

eranslow 11-05-2013 03:00 PM

I just bought this scarf last week - I love wearing it with a bright blue shirt or a blue cardigan.

http://www3.assets-gap.com/webconten.../cn6951092.jpg

One thing to maybe try for your first scarf would be an infinity one - that way you don't need to figure out a fancy way to tie it and just wrap it around your neck :)

Here's an infinity one that I love:

http://www1.assets-gap.com/webconten.../cn6603956.jpg

Darcy Baldwin 11-05-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

SISTER! ;)

Besides, I'm kinda heavy and a scarf just makes me feel worse.

Milmomma 11-05-2013 03:37 PM

I love wearing my skinny jeans, boots(ugg knockoffs) with a granny sweater and a scarf. I chose bright colored scarves mostly cause my sweaters are neutral colors mostly. I do pattern on shirt or scarf and solid on the other. That way I don't over do it. I'm not a huge color person. So, my scarves are my pop of color. I have a range of them in design and thickness. Sometimes you don't need the heaviest/warmest on a warmer day. ;)

Milmomma 11-05-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eranslow (Post 1170218)
One thing to maybe try for your first scarf would be an infinity one - that way you don't need to figure out a fancy way to tie it and just wrap it around your neck :)

Here's an infinity one that I love:

http://www1.assets-gap.com/webconten.../cn6603956.jpg

I love mine! I call them sneeds though like Lorax. My daughter started it. :o

BrattyMeg 11-05-2013 03:41 PM

I just got 2 at ON yesterday :)
http://www1.assets-gap.com/webconten.../cn7127924.jpg
and a purple/pink/blue one that isn't online for some reason

julifish 11-05-2013 03:49 PM

I noticed when I was in Boston a few weeks ago A LOT of ladies were wearing scarves. So glad I went ahead and got a few. I wore mine pretty simply. I think since I'm a bigger person keeping it simple is much better for me. Can't wait for it to get cold enough in Florida to start layering and I'll definitely be adding a scarf here and there.

Old Navy and TJ Maxx/Marshalls have low priced scarves so you can always get one and give it a try. If you hate it - gift it for Christmas.

P.S. There are some super simple how to tie a scarf pins on Pinterest. I just got one of those and downloaded it to my tablet. Then I can follow the pics while I look in the mirror. Also, go with colors that compliment things you already own. I have a grey boyfriend sweater and I layered it with a blue plaid scarf I got at Aeropostle for $6 on clearance, wore a simple navy shirt under the sweater. Great way to change up your outfits if you have basic colors. Also, wore an orange/coral one over a blue and white striped shirt, layered with a white cardigan and a warm beige shirt layered with a lighter beige sweater.

I'm kind of addicted now and need to get more - I just prefer the non-infinity ones because they seem to look better on me.

marnel 11-05-2013 05:10 PM

I've got mine @ Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, Wet Seal, Marshall's and TJMaxx. 5 dollars is the most I've paid for any of mine.
I've bought patterned one's and solid one's and usually wear them according to my jacket/shirt. The pin that Rubia posted is how I learned to tie them ;)

mrshobbes 11-05-2013 09:07 PM

We don't even have fall or winter here, but I have scarves, LOL. They're mostly dressier ones made of light materials like cotton, chiffon, or silk.

rach3975 11-05-2013 10:04 PM

I'm a necklace person, but I'm tired of most of my necklaces. I've been thinking of trying a scarf, but I was worried that it would be too much added bulk or that I just can't pull it off. What the heck-I'm going to give it a try, too! I need to go to Target and fill a prescription for DS tomorrow, so that 30 minute wait will be a great time to see what they have.

KristinCB 11-05-2013 10:12 PM

we can all be scarf newbies together!!

MandaT 11-06-2013 02:02 AM

I want to wear a scarf, and I even bought a couple...and then I put them on and it just looks like a hot mess...I cannot for the life of me make it look Pinterest worthy. I did actually make it out of the house in one once, to breakfast with a girlfriend and the entire time I felt like I was going to feed my scarf more than my face!

maryinaz 11-06-2013 09:25 AM

Here you go - a must watch for learning to tie a scarf! :) I like wearing them. I mostly wear solid colors, so it's easy to put on a scarf.
25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes!

scrap2day 11-06-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryinaz (Post 1170353)
Here you go - a must watch for learning to tie a scarf! :) I like wearing them. I mostly wear solid colors, so it's easy to put on a scarf.
25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes!

Thanks for sharing that link. That video was wonderful!

nietis 11-06-2013 10:45 AM

I love scarves too! I wear mostly solid colors, because they tend to match better with wide range of outfits. I love scarves from GAP, but most of the times hubby would stop me buying because they're just too pricey.

jk703 11-06-2013 10:44 PM

I like scarves... but feel weird wearing them! I'll have to get over that... cause they sure make a plain top/outfit look a bit dressed.

krystalhartley 11-07-2013 09:53 AM

Forever 21

anneofalamo 11-07-2013 09:59 AM

I am loving the infinity scarf, it is a big loop, so no pinning, no worry, you can wear it one big loop or two (that is what I do)
http://www.mylifetime.com/files/imag...inity-1510.jpg
and I bought mine at Payless shoes...fluffy and fun, got a gray multi (goes with me hair) and a white with sparklies!

sczos911 11-07-2013 10:01 AM

ON, Target, Kohls (clearance!). ♥ SCARVES!!

DawnMarch 11-07-2013 09:04 PM

I really like the infinity scarves because they are so easy -- no stying/tying involved!

Sherri Tierney 11-07-2013 10:28 PM

I bought a scarf this past spring and have been too chicken to wear it. I need to pick up a few more and play around with them.

marlathrall 11-09-2013 12:20 PM

I just spotted these on facebook and thought of you guys- http://www.pickyourplum.com

(Just noticed it won't give me a direct link. There are some very pretty infinity lacy scarves for $5.99. I kinda want to buy one in every color. lol.