Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting rid of the clutter (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69266)

jacinda 12-31-2012 03:05 PM

Getting rid of the clutter

So yesterday I cleaned my study and got rid of all the paper clutter. That motivated me to do a computer clean up as well. I started with my massive download folder yesterday (hadn't done that since before DSD), putting everything in it's proper place. I deleted probably about 20 GB of files after that.

Today I went through my template folder, deleting any I wouldn't use and keeping only the TIF files. I ended up deleting over 50GB of unwanted files!! :w00t: It's so easy to see what I have now. Ahhhh......I feel so much better, and I bet my computer does too.

So...anyone else cleaning up/getting ready for the New Year?

NeverendingJen 12-31-2012 03:17 PM

me! I got a new EHD for Christmas and I swore I wasn't going to move any files over that I hadn't organized and purged lol. I'm getting close to done and am going to finish tomorrow on the new year

mariewilcox 12-31-2012 03:17 PM

I cleaned my computer today too. I didn't have as much as you to clean out, but I did get rid of 9 GB of stuff I haven't used in a year or more :thumbup:

taracotta7 12-31-2012 03:29 PM

So need to do this. Had a big clean out about a year ago but I can do it again for sure. I love that feeling after it is all done.

littlekiwi 12-31-2012 03:40 PM

I need to go that soon, have less than 100gb left on my EHD

Txcorey 12-31-2012 03:43 PM

I've been doing a little cleaning out too. We cleaned out my son's playroom the other day and purged quite a bit. I divided up some of his books to give to some younger nieces and nephews. I boxed up a bunch of toys too, but haven't yet gone to donate them. We have family in town right now so it will have to wait until they are gone. I have been working on getting my computer and pictures organized too. It's a slow process, but once I get caught up on these pictures I'm really going to try to stay on top of them.

SeattleSheri 12-31-2012 03:44 PM

I clean up once a month. I have a whole ritual I go through where I transfer all photos and files I acquired throughout the month onto my EHD and DVD (photos only).

MamaBee 12-31-2012 03:44 PM

I've been cleaning on and off for the last week or so... only because I was getting the red bar of "your computer is running out of storage space"... :glare: One of the reasons why I'm pushing to get my 2011 P365 layouts done is that all my 2011 photos are still sitting on my hard drive (they are backed up, of course)... so once I get rid of that... I should have loads of space, as long as I work on P365 for 2012 during 2013, or I'll be in the same spot in a year from now... haha! :D

nun69 12-31-2012 04:25 PM

I want to get rid of ALL of my paper scrapbook supplies, but still looking for a good home for them, but I did unzip all the stuff in my unused folder, but need to get it organized....I also deleted about 20Gigs of files of unwanted stuff, but I need to do some more, so maybe this weekend!

maryinaz 12-31-2012 04:36 PM

My goal for later today is to clean off my desk! It's piled a foot high! I want to start the new year with a clean and organized office, but I'll start with the desk.

I have some purging to do on my computer too.

Angie - be careful what you get rid of! I sold/gave away about 90% of my paper supplies a few years ago and I still regret getting rid of certain things. :/

kristijoy 12-31-2012 04:38 PM

Nice!!! We've been cleaning closets over here. I've been organizing pictures, but haven't done the digital purge!

jacinda 12-31-2012 05:46 PM

Just about finished putting away the Christmas tree/decorations, and tidying the downstairs closet where it's all kept.

Lindsay 12-31-2012 05:56 PM

Just got back from giving a trunkload of stuff to Good Will, have been cleaning out the EHD in anticipation of hooking up the new one. I cringe as I send digital kits to trash, but have to tell myself that I have so many new ones that are better quality.

Sherri Tierney 12-31-2012 06:26 PM

I do this all the time, but never get caught up. I delete all but the .tiff files on templates, delete TOUs and other 'filler' that comes with downloads, etc. I just never get finished. LOL I have a 1TB and a 2TB EHD on my computer and the 1TB is nearly full. I don't want to move stuff to the 2TB until it is organized but it is taking me forever. I've deleted about 500GB in the past few months with about that many still to go.

I found some REALLY old kits... fun to look at. Kinda like certain elements of them so it makes me want to hold on to them, but really... I'm sure the designers would rather me let them go to the place where all old kits go. ;)

purple_colourz 12-31-2012 06:36 PM

I should do this too. I usually just create a new folder for my digi stash when the new year comes since I don't have to worry about storage space in my ehd since I have a new 1tb hooked up on my computer but it would feel so good to see everything in the right folders.

Lindsay 12-31-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney (Post 1074556)
I found some REALLY old kits... fun to look at. Kinda like certain elements of them so it makes me want to hold on to them, but really... I'm sure the designers would rather me let them go to the place where all old kits go. ;)

I will take special elements that I like and put them in a Basics folder (i.e., Stamps, Splatter, Glitter, Grid/Notebook, and that HUGE folder called Alpha) and then I discard the rest of the kit. Then when I'm looking for something specific, I know just where to look.

Dying a little bit inside seeing how much I've bought this year that I still haven't used. This was supposed to be 2012 resolution! :huh:

FireWolf 12-31-2012 07:18 PM

I've been busy cleaning out the computer secretary and sorting/filing paperwork that I haven't tended to for several months. Tomorrow the tree and all the Christmas decorations are coming down and getting put back into the attic until next year. I've also been working on cleaning out my scrap room so I can get started on crafting for Christmas markets for next year. As for the pc, that will get done steadily over the next few weeks...I have way too much stuff on here to do it all in one chunk of time.

mrshobbes 12-31-2012 07:54 PM

Haha, I need to buy a new EHD and then purge! I'm down to my last 20GB. (Actually printing out my layouts would also be a huge help, but buying the EHD is easier!)

rach3975 12-31-2012 08:51 PM

I haven't done a digital purge lately, but I need to. But I do have a baggie filled with lots of scraps of paper where I've jotted down quotes from and stories about the kids. I spent last night typing it (half of it) into the computer to be used as journaling on future LOs. If DH doesn't feel like watching a movie together, I may try to finish that and start on some photo organization tonight.

mummytothree 12-31-2012 09:19 PM

Hooray for decluttering!!! I need to do this...maybe in a few weeks!!!

Paula 01-01-2013 02:34 PM

There is a reason I chose PURGE as my OLW for 2013! LOL

jacinda 01-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula (Post 1074847)
There is a reason I chose PURGE as my OLW for 2013! LOL

Haha!

Chels85 01-01-2013 02:48 PM

yep did that last week