Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When your dog goes for an x-ray (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98536)

KristinCB 04-10-2024 11:47 AM

When your dog goes for an x-ray

and you find out that at some point before you got her she had a surgery and has a plate in her leg...

https://i.imgur.com/UkG0pKx.jpeg

We've had our dog for 9 years and had NO clue. These last few days she had been unable to put any weight on one of her legs so Darcy took her to the vet yesterday. They did an x-ray and discovered this. We adopted/rescued her when she was 3 or 4. There wasn't much info on her other than she was brought up from california (apparently is is quite common for dogs to be brought up from the state)

Her approximate age is 13 so the dr said it's likely arthritis starting :( She got medication and a shot yesterday but it's still so crazy to find this out. At least now we also know why she likely chews on her one paw so much..

LynnZant 04-10-2024 12:07 PM

At least someone was taking care of her at the beginning of her life. I hope her meds help her arthritis.

Robin Carlton 04-10-2024 12:33 PM

That is wild! The only dog x-ray I have is of Katie's puppy after he slurped the rubber head of a spatula off the wooden handle while licking peanut butter off of it. I wonder if I could dig it up.

KristinCB 04-10-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnZant (Post 1063169462)
At least someone was taking care of her at the beginning of her life. I hope her meds help her arthritis.

yes!! so far she is doing way better today compared to yesterday! she's walking on it which is a great sign!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 1063169464)
That is wild! The only dog x-ray I have is of Katie's puppy after he slurped the rubber head of a spatula off the wooden handle while licking peanut butter off of it. I wonder if I could dig it up.

holy! the whole thing??? that is crazy! these pets.. gosh it's a good thing we love them. we've had enough vet bills in the last little while to last us.... ahhh. lol

Leablahblah 04-10-2024 02:02 PM

Wow! What a crazy find! I didn't even realize that you have a dog.

nietis 04-10-2024 10:19 PM

I am glad that she is doing better, Kristin.

nietis 04-10-2024 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 1063169464)

:blink::blink: how could such thing happen?

AmieN1 04-10-2024 10:35 PM

Wow that's a find! I'm glad she's feeling better today!

tjscraps 04-10-2024 10:44 PM

I didn't know you had a dog either - I've seen pics of your cats but not dog! lol!

KristinCB 04-10-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjscraps (Post 1063169507)
I didn't know you had a dog either - I've seen pics of your cats but not dog! lol!

you've also met my husband and one of my children.. but not me.. everything is a mystery LOL!

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com.../scout_web.jpg

This is scout.. I also never scrap anymore but I did have one of scout lol.

She is feeling better foot wise but not really eating :( gave her wet food to try and get her to eat which she did but then she got sick a few hours later

tjscraps 04-10-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063169508)
you've also met my husband and one of my children.. but not me.. everything is a mystery LOL!

Yes, that's an interesting one - my hubby was like how do you know these random people you're meeting??? lol! My sister still loves the rock that Leo painted (it's on display in her house!)

tjscraps 04-10-2024 10:48 PM

And, Scout is such a cutie!!!

KristinCB 04-10-2024 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjscraps (Post 1063169509)
Yes, that's an interesting one - my hubby was like how do you know these random people you're meeting??? lol! My sister still loves the rock that Leo painted (it's on display in her house!)

:hugs:

That was probably around the same time your daughter found out you scrapbooked... haha. At least I think that was Kaitlyn.. right? All our friends that live in boxes that no one really knows about. lol.

angiekey 04-10-2024 10:56 PM

What a gorgeous fur-baby you have there! Scout has the sweetest face.

That's absolutely WILD, finding out on x-rays that she'd had a major surgery and been walking around with hardware you knew nothing about! We have regular x-rays on my one-eyed wonder, Maggie, to track the progress of her congestive heart failure ... but so far, we haven't found anything interesting on her films... or anything that shouldn't be there. (Tee hee hee!)

tjscraps 04-10-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063169512)
:hugs:

That was probably around the same time your daughter found out you scrapbooked... haha. At least I think that was Kaitlyn.. right? All our friends that live in boxes that no one really knows about. lol.

Yes!!! lol! Good memory ... She was 12, I started scrapbooking nearly 4 years before she was born. Super observant.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...350bc22f_c.jpg

KristinCB 04-10-2024 10:59 PM

hahahaha. you should scrapbook that. (if you haven't already LOL)

KristinCB 04-10-2024 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiekey (Post 1063169513)
What a gorgeous fur-baby you have there! Scout has the sweetest face.

That's absolutely WILD, finding out on x-rays that she'd had a major surgery and been walking around with hardware you knew nothing about! We have regular x-rays on my one-eyed wonder, Maggie, to track the progress of her congestive heart failure ... but so far, we haven't found anything interesting on her films... or anything that shouldn't be there. (Tee hee hee!)

Today I was like.. I wonder if the other legs would have shown anything?! because I"m pretty sure they only x-rayed the one leg (I wasn't there)

Hope Maggie will be OK <3

tjscraps 04-11-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063169515)
hahahaha. you should scrapbook that. (if you haven't already LOL)

I don't think I have - but you're right, I should!

Memaw2Wm 04-11-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063169508)
She is feeling better foot wise but not really eating :( gave her wet food to try and get her to eat which she did but then she got sick a few hours later

So sweet! Just a word of warning my not-quite-14-year-old Bichon had been acting "off" recently. On Sunday/Monday she was really off ... not eating, peeing in the living room, crying/whining/whimpering ... I thought maybe she had a UTI.

My granddaughter who's a vet assistant kinda blew me off, but when I insisted something was off she got a urine sample and took Zoey to work.

No UTI, but her kidney numbers were off the charts and they discovered a heart murmur. So she's getting IV fluids, meds and a change of diet.

Thankfully she's not in kidney failure. Anyhow ... if Scout continues to refuse food and keeps vomiting (both symptoms of kidney disease) I suggest her take her back to the vet and tell them a stranger on the internet told you she might have kidney disease.

I wish now I'd taken her in sooner ...

lovely1m 04-13-2024 10:20 AM

Poor Scout but yes, good to know she was taken care of before her adoption.

I did know you had a dog. lol My husband thinks nothing of me meeting my friends from the internet but one of my friends is always so confused by it.

HeideC 04-13-2024 11:40 AM

WOW! I am so glad that she was taken care of before you rescued her.
I have 2 X-rays of my Bernie's tummy. One was a day or so after he ingested what was supposed to be a bone but was more like plastic. The second was about a week later to make sure all those pieces moved out....