Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My nightmare, my miracle, and the importance of knowing your body (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55353)

Jengerbread88 07-12-2011 10:46 PM

My nightmare, my miracle, and the importance of knowing your body

First off, I apologize in advance for typos- I have an oxygen monitor on my hand that makes typing weird for me.

Most of you who have been around have seen my multitude of threads on how things weren't going well at various points in my pregnancy. i went to triage multiple times, and each time got kind of blown off and sent home. Then, I'd go to see my doctor and she'd find an infection they missed (also, you may remember I changed doctors within the practice because mine wasn't listening).

Fast forward to Sunday. I had an awesome baby shower! It went GREAT! Then, went to the restaurant. I started to feel what I recognized as braxton hicks during dinner, but everything was okay.

We went home from the restaurant, and I was writing out thank you notes while Drew (my best friend) put together my stroller system. My pain started to get VERY intense. In my back. I mean, really bad, to where I was having trouble talking or breathing through them. Drew started timing them, just to make sure everything was okay, and when they were clearly in a pattern, I called the nurse on call (around midnight Sunday into Monday). My mom took me to the maternity triage, at the suggestion of the nurse on call.

Let me just say, the triage nurse had an attitude the second I got there. I'd seen her before once- she was rude then, too, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt that first time. This time, she took one look at me and said "Women don't feel contractions in the BACK. I'm sure they'll send you home," but proceeded to do the samples and labs recommended. Well, my blood pressure kept going up and up. The nurse on call told her to have me stay there and keep looking for cervical change. Finally she started seeing my contractions on the monitor, but I was at 3 and not changing. She said "I'm sending you home. Let me call the Nurse on call and get the paperwork."

Then, she came back to the room 10 minutes later. She said "Well, she's making you stay. But don't get comfortable, you'll probably only be here until 6am, when a doctor can check you out." I stayed overnight, and saw a doctor around 9. When he came in the room, he said, you'll probably leave after I check you- I heard about last night.

He checked me, got a weird look on his face, and said, "I'll be back." The other nurse came in and said "Well, he'll probably release you when your mom gets here to drive you." Mom got there, the doctor came in, and said

"You'll be here for the long haul. Get comfortable."

Monday was spent going through tests, doctors, more tests, and more labs. At one point I was having blood drawn from an artery on one arm and a vein on the other, and at another point I was getting an echocardiogram and a uterus ultrasound at once.

Final diagnosis? Congenital heart failure related to pregnancy. My lungs were filling with fluid, my heart was shutting down, and the doctors literally told me pregnancy was killing me... for real.

They put me on a myriad of meds, and worked on getting my levels well enough to deliver. Monday night they started me on my first low dose of pitocin.

Tuesday morning, they upped the pitocin, gave me an epidural right away, and let me sleep through the full labor (I hadn't slept in 3 days).

I got close around 3:05 in the afternoon, so they called the doctor over. After lots of pushing through 10 contractions, I held Zachary Andrew for the first time. 7 pounds, 3.1 ounces, 19 inches long. He was born at exactly 4pm. (I'm going to be honest, after all of the tests and struggles, I barely even felt labor and delivery).

So, the point is, I've been telling everyone for 5 months now that something was wrong with my body. No one listened, but I kept fighting. Had that nurse sent me home, the doctor says there's little chance I would have survived.

But the REAL point is... check out this handsome little devil ;)

http://oi51.tinypic.com/2uzufsw.jpg

rach3975 07-12-2011 10:52 PM

Congrats! He's adorable. Your birth story sounds like a nightmare for sure! As belated as it was, I'm glad they finally caught it in time to save you and Zach. I don't know anything about your condition-will any damage to your heart and lungs heal now that the pregnancy is over?

joelsgirl 07-12-2011 10:53 PM

He's precious! So glad you're okay!

BrattyMeg 07-12-2011 10:54 PM

wow what a nightmare to go thru! Hope your body is on the mend and what a beautiful end result! He's gorgeous! Congrats

kscwgirl 07-12-2011 10:55 PM

Congrats!!!

jacinda 07-12-2011 10:55 PM

Oh, I am SOOO glad it all turned out OK in the end. What a nightmare alright. He is gorgeous though, and I hope things only get better for you both from here on.

mrshobbes 07-12-2011 10:56 PM

Congratulations!

scrap2day 07-12-2011 11:03 PM

He is absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad you are ok.

color of my heart 07-12-2011 11:10 PM

oy, is all i can say.

i'm so glad you're okay! and congratulations! he's so cute <3

Jengerbread88 07-12-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 846419)
Congrats! He's adorable. Your birth story sounds like a nightmare for sure! As belated as it was, I'm glad they finally caught it in time to save you and Zach. I don't know anything about your condition-will any damage to your heart and lungs heal now that the pregnancy is over?

Everything will go back to normal, but any future pregnancies are highisk from the get-go.

mdb21 07-12-2011 11:16 PM

Aww, he's gorgeous! I'm so sorry that you didn't have an easier time bringing him into this world, but hopefully you'll recover quickly and be back home loving on him constantly. Congratulations!

P.S. I'd totally pull a "told you so" on that frickin' nurse!

Penny Springmann 07-12-2011 11:24 PM

Congratulations!!! I'm glad you're all right as well!!!

Shawna 07-12-2011 11:24 PM

Congrats Jenni! I'd definitely say the road to getting him here was long and rough but I think he's definitely worth it! Hopefully your recovery will be much easier so you can enjoy your lil' guy!!

TeriBeary 07-12-2011 11:24 PM

He is beautiful! Congrats and I'm so glad you're doing well. I'd make sure to contact someone about how you were treated!

hollyxann 07-12-2011 11:32 PM

WOW girl you went to hell and back didn't you! Glad everything is ok with you and Zachary. Sounds like a scary few days. Guess that puts the whole "told ya so" into perspective. I'd send that nurse a lovely "TOLD YA SO, shoulda listened to me" card.

He's adorable! Enjoy every minute! And that's definitely a story for the baby book!

Traci Reed 07-12-2011 11:39 PM

OMG Jenn, I'm so happy they finally listened to you!

He is gorgeous!!!!! Congratulations!

eranslow 07-12-2011 11:50 PM

Oh my - what a nightmare! But I am so glad he is here and healthy! Congrats!! He's adorable!

newfiemountiewife 07-12-2011 11:50 PM

Congratulations! He's so cute! Why didn't they do a c-section though, if you were in so much trouble?

JulieB146 07-12-2011 11:56 PM

Congratulations, he's so adorable! And I'm so glad *someone* on the staff finally understood what was going on with you. I'd notify someone about the behavior/attitude of the nurses involved (and the docs, if necessary). I'm glad you're still here, and that Zach is here, too. :w00t:

lisabranka 07-13-2011 12:00 AM

I'm so glad everyone is okay! He is very handsome!! :) Hope you get better soon so you can enjoy each other!

WalkersMommy 07-13-2011 12:03 AM

SOOO glad you are both ok! How scary!

He is gorgeous, congratulations!! :D

Tracie Stroud 07-13-2011 12:12 AM

Oh my goodness! So glad you're both ok!

Mrs John 07-13-2011 12:28 AM

Crazy, scary story! SO glad you and baby Zachary are okay. He is so precious!

Jengerbread88 07-13-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife (Post 846459)
Congratulations! He's so cute! Why didn't they do a c-section though, if you were in so much trouble?

A c-section is considered a major surgery, and the recovery for it is a lot harder on a body recovering from heart failure than a natural birth. They made the right choice, I think, too, because it took very little pushing and strain to bring him into the world... the worst part of the process was just everything that went before that!

scrapsandsass 07-13-2011 12:33 AM

OMG. I'm so glad that you are okay. How scary. And he is absolutely precious! Huge congrats and hugs!!!!

AmberK 07-13-2011 12:35 AM

oh man- Im so sorry that you had to go through all of this. How incredibly scary and infuriating at the same time. I can't believe the nurse treated you that way. I would file a complaint for sure- call the charge nurse, the head of the hospital, or whoever else you can complain to. That is NOT RIGHT how you were treated by the nurse.

And finally...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He is absolutely beautiful!!!!

jessica31876 07-13-2011 12:57 AM

I would defenitely call and complain or file something with the hospital about that nurse. I had issues with my blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy with my youngest and it only took one call to my doctor...they had me come in and I was admitted that day and after a bunch of tests and a few hours of monitoring my blood pressure and the baby and then an ultrasound the doctor talked to me and said he thinks it is best if we just went ahead and did a c-section right then. I was around 32-33 weeks and my son was 7 pounds even (thank god I did not go full term!!). I dont know what I would have done if they had not taken me seriously though!

well the good thing is your little guy is adorable and looks perfect :) Im glad they finally did take you seriously!! It sounds like your situation was really bad.

Kenzi 07-13-2011 01:09 AM

Oh WOWZA! That is so scary!! I'm so glad everything turned out fine for both of you. Congrats! He's a cutie pie :wub:

nicolelogg 07-13-2011 01:33 AM

Congrats! He is so cute! I am so glad you are okay!

Julie Billingsley 07-13-2011 01:42 AM

Welcome little Zachary! :) Congratulations Jenni!

Victoria Feemster 07-13-2011 01:55 AM

Oh wow what an ordeal and I'm so glad you and your son are ok. He is a cutie. Congrats and rest as much as you can!

Jen22 07-13-2011 01:55 AM

Oh how scary! I'm glad you were kept there and that everything turned out well! I had heard enough horror stories about nurses & doctors ignoring a mother because they think she's paranoid and it turns out that the mother's intincts were right on and something was up. It made me that much firmer in my resolve should I find myself being told I was over reacting (happened a couple times, but I was SO lucky to have caring nurses that double checked whatever it was for me).

He's SO beautiful! Congrats mama!! :)

FireWolf 07-13-2011 02:28 AM

A nightmare indeed! I'm glad you are ok now and he is beautiful! Congratulations!

pomi 07-13-2011 03:33 AM

I'm glad you are okay. Zachary is awesome! Congrats!

adrianka 07-13-2011 04:09 AM

And there I thought nurses like this were Eastern European specialty... At least the doctor saw your problem. Sure a nightmare thing to live through, but Zach is so sweet. Congrats!

Darcy Baldwin 07-13-2011 05:24 AM

Congratulations, Jenni! I'm so sorry for all that you went through - but he's wonderful!

Gemma 07-13-2011 05:43 AM

Oh wow, I'm so glad all is ok in the end!! And congratulations, he is absolutely adorable! :wub:

*Celeste* 07-13-2011 06:01 AM

congratulations! he's adorable!

luckyme 07-13-2011 06:21 AM

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad everything turned out okay!!! You have an amazing story and an *adorable* little man to show for it all! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

nietis 07-13-2011 06:41 AM

Congratulations on Zachary!! He's so adorable!!! :) I hope you're on the mend.

nanienamou 07-13-2011 06:46 AM

That is really scary! Happy to know that the baby is ok! He's precious! Congrats! :thumbup:

cardinalskate 07-13-2011 06:51 AM

Oh Jenn, he's beautiful! Welcome Zach!

I can't believe all you went through. I can't believe something that major was missed so many times and for so long. That's scary! And that nurse....grrrr! Women don't feel contractions in their backs?!?! That's ridiculous! Not only is every woman different, back labor is very well-known! Sounds like she just didn't like you from the beginning and wanted to contradict all of your symptoms.

Glad to hear you'll be alright, as will Zach. And you can cross the "next pregnancy" situation when you get to it. You know you could do it, and they'll probably be better prepared next time, too, whenever that time comes! So glad he's here healthy!

mariewilcox 07-13-2011 07:07 AM

Congrats on your precious baby boy! I'm glad everything turned out okay.

SweetMelissa 07-13-2011 07:15 AM

First congrats on the little man! He is so handsome!!! Then oh my goodness that sounds so scary! I would def lodge a complaint about the rude nurse. When I went to have Rachel (now 2 & 1/2) my nurse was really rude. Even telling me to "shut up" if I made any kind of sound during a contraction. She had me in tears a few times and I just hated her.

rachaelsscraps 07-13-2011 07:17 AM

Wow Jenni, that's crazy! I'm so glad you and your adorable little guy are okay! And congratulations!!! He is so cute!!! (And you can put that nightmarish pregnancy behind you now, yay! :) )

cbettua 07-13-2011 07:58 AM

Wow, that's horrible.!

Congrats on your new bundle of joy! YAY for another Zachary

Kara 07-13-2011 08:09 AM

Yikes! What a story! So glad you're okay, and that sweet Zach is here safely, too!

MamaBee 07-13-2011 08:18 AM

WOW... how scary... so relieved there was a happy ending... congrats, he is beautiful!

Lyd 07-13-2011 08:28 AM

Wow! What a crazy story! So glad you are okay and that little Zach made it safely into the world. He is adorable!

ColleenSwerb 07-13-2011 08:32 AM

Omg, what a crazy horrible story!! I'm so glad that someone finally figured out what was going on and that you and Zach are both safe and sound. Congrats, he's precious!!