Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Year superstitions? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69287)

MamaBee 01-01-2013 09:26 AM

New Year superstitions?

Sometimes I just can't shut off that homeschool mom thing... and last night we did a mini "New Year's around the World" studies with my kiddo... one of the countries we did was Spain and how they eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight for financial success in the new year. My family has the same type of tradition - but in good German tradition, we eat herring - one piece for each month... and for someone who hates herring, it's a hard thing to swallow... haha

Well, I found this site that talks about other superstitions for the new year... I thought it was really interesting... do anyone else have any of these traditions/superstitions for last night or today? I do the kiss at midnight and hubby is working radio today - so it's his "token" of work... hee hee...

http://www.happywink.org/newyearfest...rstitions.html

Darcy Baldwin 01-01-2013 09:54 AM

I grew up being required to eat black eyed peas for New Year's lunch and HATE them.

We don't do a single thing.

LJSDesigns 01-01-2013 10:17 AM

I didn't see this one on the list, but we always have pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. Always. LOL

nesser1981 01-01-2013 10:49 AM

Black eyed peas & greens. I don't like greens, so we have cabbage. And I never take the tree down before New Years day.

BrattyMeg 01-01-2013 12:03 PM

grew up with the black eyed peas and greens thing..and i can't stand greens so I never ate them

I don't really have any NY superstitions though

Chels85 01-01-2013 12:37 PM

pork and sauerkraut here

MamaBee 01-01-2013 12:46 PM

Hmm... not sure I would care for black eye peas and greens... but my hubby would be all over the pork and kraut! I know what will be going into my crockpot right now! ;)

Paula 01-01-2013 02:32 PM

We always eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day. I love them and it's supposed to bring you luck. We also always eat something green for prosperity, and we always eat something porky for progress.

Paula 01-01-2013 02:33 PM

We were always taught that it didn't have to be greens - it could be cabbage (which is what we have) or even salad. LOL My mama is the only one who likes greens.

NeverendingJen 01-01-2013 02:55 PM

we always have the house cleaned up before NY so that we have clean house and a clean life for the new year.

adrianka 01-01-2013 03:12 PM

In Slovakia (and also in Italy, as I know from my course) we eat lentils soup to have money in the new year. Well I don't do it, because I'm too lazy to cook on 1 January, but that's the tradition as I know it. :-)

AmberK 01-01-2013 03:26 PM

I soooo wish we would adopt this tradition. It seems impossible to keep our house clean though with 3 nasty, disgusting boys living here. :cursing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1074865)
we always have the house cleaned up before NY so that we have clean house and a clean life for the new year.

Sherri Tierney 01-01-2013 08:25 PM

Growing up we had a few traditions like ham on New Year's Day and black eyed peas as well. My grandma insisted on those. Come to think of it, she always had some kind of leafy green veggie too, typically spinach.

We don't do anything. Last night was the first year in several we've even kissed at midnight (one of us being sick, us cuddling with the kids at midnight, etc.). If superstitions were correct we'd be long broken up, I suppose. LOL

Our cupboards are stocked though... but that wasn't done intentionally for New Year's. Not doing dishes or laundry though... great excuse for not doing any today! :)

kscwgirl 01-01-2013 08:46 PM

Black eyed peas here too. Blech.

mrshobbes 01-01-2013 10:00 PM

I know there are a ton of beliefs and superstitions owing to the fact that we were colonized by Spain for 300 years and that there's a sizable Chinese population, but I know of only a couple:

- Ring the New Year in with bells, whistles, horns, then leave your front door open and scatter new coins into the entrance/foyer. It's supposed to encourage wealth to enter your home.

- Have lots of round fruit (oranges, apples, grapes, melons, etc) for luck. Also wear polka-dots or items that are circular for good luck. I forgot about this January 1 and compensated by wearing bead bracelets haha

NeverendingJen 01-01-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberK (Post 1074887)
I soooo wish we would adopt this tradition. It seems impossible to keep our house clean though with 3 nasty, disgusting boys living here. :cursing:

we do a lot of it on NYE- and power through a room at a time as a family. Dh does his office, I do mine, we do the rest together. We arne't picky about spotless, but at least clean and tidy. We even did dishes during our NYE party to make sure the kitchen stayed clean lol

dana 01-02-2013 07:32 AM

we did black eyed peas too (and still do) - luckily i LOVE them :)

and i should really add the "clean the house" tradition - that would be awesome :)

MissKim 01-02-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1074865)

This. Except the toilets. I couldn't make myself clean those on NYE.

Lukasmummy 01-02-2013 02:30 PM

Nan always told us to put money outside the front door before midnight so you bring money into the house all year round. Usually a silver coin like a 5p. Hugs Crystal xx