Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Reads-Book Club (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Books for August! (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55855)

BrattyMeg 07-31-2011 05:12 PM

Books for August!

blah I was on vacation and totally dropped the ball for August. I just chose what was next in line from June for this month. TY Celeste for starting the other thread for me but with Aug 1 tomorrow I don't think we have time for a poll. I promise to be back into the groove for September.

Historical-The Paris Wife-by Paula McLain
Misc-The Hunger Games-by Suzanne Collins
Women's Lit-The Midwife's Confession-by Diane Chamberlain

Jenn Barrette 07-31-2011 05:25 PM

I loved The Hunger Games, might even reead that one this month. I think I will try and get The Midwife's Confession from the library :)

Thanks for doing this Meg!

Misty Cato 07-31-2011 05:32 PM

Thanks Meg, I've read Hunger Games and requested the other two from the library (although I don't know that I'll get them before the end of August as both have wait lists).

Libby Pritchett 07-31-2011 05:36 PM

Oh good choices!

aggiefamily 07-31-2011 05:36 PM

Cool! I am in the middle of the Game of Thrones series and will try my best to sneak these in. Just don't tell Jon Snow.

SweetMelissa 07-31-2011 06:47 PM

Hey ladies. I'm going to join this movie. :) My library has The Midwifes Confession available and I got on the waiting list for The Hunger Games.

cardinalskate 07-31-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggiefamily (Post 855576)
Cool! I am in the middle of the Game of Thrones series and will try my best to sneak these in. Just don't tell Jon Snow.

I am, too. I'm LOVING them.

NeverendingJen 07-31-2011 07:57 PM

cool. will pick at least one of them and join in :)

CA Dreamer 07-31-2011 08:00 PM

Downloading the Midwife's Confession now.... read the excerpt on Amazon. Wow.... looks like a great choice!

NeverendingJen 07-31-2011 08:19 PM

Okay, got me the Midwife's Confession and already had Hunger Games on my kindle, and thanks to a few of you also ended up with the first Game of Thrones book, lol

~Julie~ 07-31-2011 08:40 PM

Loved The Hunger Games. I have 3 other friends reading it because I recommended it.

shaynesgirl 07-31-2011 08:45 PM

I had borrowed Hunger Games from a friend... it really bothered me. Reminded me a bit of the old movie Running Man, so never finished it.

From the comments above I am intrigued, so downloaded the first chapter of Game of Thrones to my kindle. It looks pretty interesting.

*Celeste* 07-31-2011 09:20 PM

i've read the first two - the third is on my list. will try and get it. maybe download it for my nook.

joelsgirl 07-31-2011 10:18 PM

They all sound good! I'm going to dl the Hunger Games, since I've been hearing so much about it.

kelley 08-03-2011 12:32 PM

Midwife Confessions looks great! Great choices :)

Nettio 08-03-2011 01:26 PM

Ooo, The Hunger Games! I've been wanting to read that so maybe I'll play along this month.

A question for those of you who have read The Hunger Games (no spoilers please!), how intense is it? Like would it freak me out if I read it before bed?

*Celeste* 08-03-2011 01:45 PM

It's fairly intense. I had dreams about it when I read it. But it's soooo good - my guess is you might just not be able to put it down. Just start reading in the morning!

eranslow 08-03-2011 02:03 PM

Just requested The Paris Wife & Midwife's Confession from my library. Not quite sure about the Hunger Games. Maybe in the future :)

LoriJ 08-03-2011 05:43 PM

I loved the Hunger Games and the Midwifes Confession was very good too. I haven't heard of the other one so I will have to look that one up!

carriesmom 08-03-2011 06:31 PM

I read the Hunger Games a few weeks ago and I loved it.

Andrea G 08-04-2011 05:50 AM

All excellent choices. I've read the Hunger Games series (the first two I read over Thanksgiving weekend if that's not ironic enough, lol) def good reads, I personally liked the first two books in the series MUCH more than the third.

I'm a tad behind on reading (too much playing this summer with the kids!) so, we'll see what I can do, I think these are all awesome books! :)

CA Dreamer 08-04-2011 04:15 PM

If anyone wants to borrow the Midwife's Confession, let me know. I downloaded it from Kindle and we can now share it for 14 days(? - I am not an expert at this). I read it on my Android, so if you download the Kindle app to your computer or other handheld, it will work fine.

SweetMelissa 08-05-2011 03:51 PM

I started The Midwife Confessions and it is so good! I'm already half way through because I just can't put the book down.

purple_colourz 08-08-2011 09:51 PM

I loved The Hunger Games series!

I started reading The Midwife Confessions and so far I like it.

SweetMelissa 08-13-2011 02:07 PM

I finished The Hunger Games last night and loved it. I went to the library page and requested the next book in the series. I also went onto Books A Million and it looks like there's a third book that will be out this month. Once its released I'm going to put a request on that one as well.

But what an amazing book. I started it during the kids naps and finished it after they were in bed. I greatly enjoyed it and didn't want to put it down.

BrattyMeg 08-22-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaof3 (Post 860741)
I finished The Hunger Games last night and loved it. I went to the library page and requested the next book in the series. I also went onto Books A Million and it looks like there's a third book that will be out this month. Once its released I'm going to put a request on that one as well.

But what an amazing book. I started it during the kids naps and finished it after they were in bed. I greatly enjoyed it and didn't want to put it down.

3rd book is already out :)
Mockingjay