Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   scraplifts (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51074)

color of my heart 02-07-2011 10:55 PM

scraplifts

i wonder how people feel about lifting other pages. with credit of course. i think it's a fun way to get out of a rut, or if you find a page you LOVE, and want to use it as inspiration. i'm always afraid to do it though. i don't want to step on toes.

anyone have any thoughts?

emmasmommy 02-07-2011 11:01 PM

i love to lift other people. it's fun to see the differences!

mrshobbes 02-07-2011 11:02 PM

I think when done "properly" (it's credited and such) it's totally fine and a fun exercise :) It's definitely lifted me from many a creative rut.

I had such a blast lifting Lynnette, because it wasn't just the "template" of her page I lifted, I also started my own monthly faves as she did. And I totally had fun mixing my pattern papers together and in the end I really loved my page :)

MamaBee 02-07-2011 11:03 PM

I too think it's great if you need some inspiration!! I don't do it often enough, but there are a number of layouts or ideas I would love to lift... if I had more time. :)

color of my heart 02-07-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshobbes (Post 779574)
I think when done "properly" (it's credited and such) it's totally fine and a fun exercise :)

well, i agree. i would be the kind of person to PM and ask permission. of course, that's kind of weird. but i wouldn't feel right without asking permission, you know?

i miss the spin-a-lift challenges, a lot. they were so fun. that's what started me thinking about it.

misfitinmn 02-07-2011 11:29 PM

I lift from time to time (when I can break myself out of the template addiction...can't help it, just saves soooo much time for me, the world's slowest scrapper!) - I don't usually ask permission, but I do link up to the original in my credits. :)

Paula 02-08-2011 12:10 AM

I always feel incredibly honored that someone liked my layouts enough to scraplift.

jessica31876 02-08-2011 12:22 AM

I wouldnt ask them first but I might send a note and tell them how much I loved their layout with a link to the lifted layout. I have only had a few people lift layouts from me and it was always really an honor honestly they liked something about my layout enough to lift it. I think the only time someone would be offended or upset is if you directly copied a layout or created a layout with no mention of the original layout in your credits. Scraplifting is really nothing more then using a layout as inspiration and really who could be upset that their creation inspired another person to create something? Thats one of the cool things about this hobby is the community and the sharing :)

mrshobbes 02-08-2011 12:53 AM

I wouldn't ask, nor would I ask people to let me know if they wanted to lift me. So actually I have no clue if I've been lifted, lol (except for the time I was featured on Spin A Lift. Seriously freaking thrilled I was then!). I would credit who I've lifted though :)

Ebony 02-08-2011 01:09 AM

I tend to not lift, but to save to my faves ideas I'd want to try. I tend to be a hodge podge scrapper so I'll never directly steal an idea, just borrow from a lot of different ones. I'm naughty :p

I've only ever been lifted twice in those scrap a lift threads, and it was the same layout! I'd love more people to use my ideas. Of course, that would mean I'd have to have some. :blink: haha.

Nevada Jen 02-08-2011 02:16 AM

I love to lift layouts. I find that doing a nearly exect lift has really helped me get back into scrapping. I do have a spin off question though, if you lift from another gallery (such as for the paper lift challenge this month) is it OK to link to that gallery in the credits here at SSD?

jovi_girl 02-08-2011 02:43 AM

I always credit properly and link the owner of the original layout up to my layout saying that I loved it so much I lifted it! I think most people are thrilled to be lifted, I know I am when it occasionally happens to me!

adrianka 02-08-2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula (Post 779604)
I always feel incredibly honored that someone liked my layouts enough to scraplift.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica31876 (Post 779607)
I wouldnt ask them first but I might send a note and tell them how much I loved their layout with a link to the lifted layout. I have only had a few people lift layouts from me and it was always really an honor honestly they liked something about my layout enough to lift it. I think the only time someone would be offended or upset is if you directly copied a layout or created a layout with no mention of the original layout in your credits. Scraplifting is really nothing more then using a layout as inspiration and really who could be upset that their creation inspired another person to create something? Thats one of the cool things about this hobby is the community and the sharing :)

And this. :-)

I don't think asking for permission is needed - actually, I never know in advance I'd be scraplifting someone, it just happens. Also, there are loads of things around us that inspire us, you can't ask everyone for permission. But it's nice to let people know that you liked their LO and scraplifted it (and credited, of course). I think that settles it. :-)

Balinda 02-08-2011 05:17 AM

yeah..pretty much what everyone else has said...I think it's fantastic inpiration and way to try new things

SweetMelissa 02-08-2011 08:40 AM

I don't know about others ( I didn't read the other replies first) but I love browsing the gallery and looking at everyone's layouts. There have been a few times I saw a layout & inspiration just slapped me in the face. lol. I just had to open my photoshop and start scrapping.

I also think it would be very flattering for the person being scrap lifted. To me it would be the ultimate praise. That someone found my work that good that they had to lift it.

nikkiARNGwife 02-08-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by color of my heart (Post 779587)
well, i agree. i would be the kind of person to PM and ask permission. of course, that's kind of weird. but i wouldn't feel right without asking permission, you know?

i miss the spin-a-lift challenges, a lot. they were so fun. that's what started me thinking about it.

We still do the Spin A Lift Challenge on the blog for Featured Scrappers Challenges every few weeks. :)

ColleenSwerb 02-08-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada Jen (Post 779634)
I love to lift layouts. I find that doing a nearly exect lift has really helped me get back into scrapping. I do have a spin off question though, if you lift from another gallery (such as for the paper lift challenge this month) is it OK to link to that gallery in the credits here at SSD?

It's fine to link up to a LO in another gallery. You just can't link up to products in other stores is all. :)

I LOVE seeing lifts. Some of my very favorite threads are during special events when we do the lift trains. I just love to see the ways someone is inspired by something and then makes it their own. :)

I've been lifted before, and either got a PM with a link to the new LO, or it was left as a comment in my original LO. I'm always SO flattered that my work inspired someone in some way :)

heathergw 02-08-2011 09:59 AM

if my mojo is gone and I can't find a template to use... I'll always browse the gallery for inspiration. I don't ask permission, just make sure I give credit.

I'm overwhelmingly honored when a layout of mine is lifted. The lifted layouts are usually IMO so much better than my original. :thumbup:

lightwriter 02-08-2011 10:46 AM

As a fairly new scrapper, I like to lift layouts because I don't feel I have my own "style" yet. Things like clustering are completely foreign to me but when I see a layout with beautiful clustering it really draws me in. Until I started visiting this community I didn't even keep track of the where or who created the freebies I found on the web but since deciding I wanted to be a part of this community, I have tagged everything I have bought and decided I no longer need to freebie hunt since the quality here is so much better. So I hope I don't offend anyone by lifting their layouts, I see it as a compliment and a learning experience for me - not to mention, it makes me want to buy more kits.

kayce 02-08-2011 11:24 AM

I am a pretty new scrapper too and I really do a lot of lifting. I do my best learning/lifting in the gallery here. I appreciate the opportunity here to learn from so many talented ladies.:)

MommaTrish 02-08-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathergw (Post 779684)
I'm overwhelmingly honored when a layout of mine is lifted. The lifted layouts are usually IMO so much better than my original. :thumbup:

^What she said though I think I only know of three people who have lifted me. lol
I don't really ever do lifts except for if it's like some sort of game or challenge, but that's just because I have the hardest time with them.

crecia27 02-08-2011 12:26 PM

I love to get inspiration from others! I hope I do justice to them and that they understand I think their layout rocked.

ayaandjudah 02-08-2011 03:02 PM

Believe me, no one will ever want to lift my layouts.

But a few weeks ago I had just finished my week 2 365 layout and was browsing the gallery(hadn't uploaded yet, PS was still saving). Someone else had used the same template and same kit as I did. But not only that, we used the same paper in the same places.

I ended up not uploading my LO to the gallery because I didn't scraplift it, I did it on my own but since I'd be uploading it after the other person I didn't want to be accused of it.

deepounds 02-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaof3 (Post 779667)
... I love browsing the gallery and looking at everyone's layouts. There have been a few times I saw a layout & inspiration just slapped me in the face. lol. I just had to open my photoshop and start scrapping.

I also think it would be very flattering for the person being scrap lifted. To me it would be the ultimate praise. That someone found my work that good that they had to lift it.

I totally agree! I don't do much direct lifting myself except for challenges - and I don't ask permission beforehand, but I always give proper credit.

Joy2Scrapbook 02-08-2011 09:18 PM

I love doing a lift of someone from time to time. The TOTM has been very enjoyable for me. I do think I learn something from trying to lift another person. I do always give credit.