Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Long Term Projects (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Support Group to catch up on PL? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86123)

kristalund 01-04-2017 11:27 AM

Support Group to catch up on PL?

Who is with me?
I am determined to complete years 2014-2016 PL!!

Anyone else with me?

I searched the shoppe and found a ton of great products to help me complete my PL albums fast (and they will look great!)

I want to dedicate some time each week to get caught up.

What are your plans?
What works for you?
What product(s) help you stay current or get caught up FAST?

renatasluis 01-04-2017 12:24 PM

I already made 2 pages from 2017 ;)
Photo's from yesterday and today.
using pockettemplates. And not to much elements.
try to keep up every week or everytime i have photo's for it.

LynnZant 01-05-2017 02:40 PM

I haven't even finished 2012. :(

KristinCB 01-05-2017 02:50 PM

ok!

What are your plans? to just get things DONE! I do know that when i AM finished i want to have them done as photo books not single pages or done and printed in pockets
What works for you?
I have folders on my computer where i just need to get back with it - I need to be better with recording journaling/random tidbits because that is what i find the hardest.
http://content.screencast.com/users/...f/00006918.png
(i have this for all the years up until insterting pics for last year)
I think of it more as a digital photobook rather than focusing on months or weeks or anything.. it's just chronological

What product(s) help you stay current or get caught up FAST?
Anything from SSD - I do use my stories templates that I did several years ago and I just keep it simple.

kristalund 01-05-2017 03:23 PM

I finished 6 pages/weeks from Jan and Feb 2016. It was fun to look back on photos and memories from a year ago.
I used one kit and pocket templates and kept the embellishments as simple as I could- but I love me so embellies!!!

ChristineF 01-06-2017 02:46 PM

What are your plans? I've managed to keep on track for my last two years, the only ones I've done so far. This year I'll be doing a LOT less embellishing and keeping it really simple and also try to catch up on 2014 and perhaps 2013. I'm also focusing on my traditional pages this year.

What works for you? Trying to catch up on the week at the end of the week. Writing things down so I'll remember. This year I have a planner (dated) that I use for journaling.

What product(s) help you stay current or get caught up FAST? Planner I mentioned above for journaling all the details so I remember when they happened. Templates from Erica Zane and taking lots of pictures so there is always something to fill my pages. And Kristin's awesome kits makes the scrapping so fun, of course there are other amazing products from SSD that I use and love too.

marlathrall 01-06-2017 07:22 PM

I am! I have most of 2016 to finish and LOTS of Teddy's first year book.

My plan is to keep things as simple and clean as possible. It helps that I love that look!

I love kits that are big and have LOTS of choices. Then I only allow myself to pull from that same look. I pick two fonts and use them through the entire year so I don't have to make any decisions when it comes to those design choices.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...eek17-left.jpg

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...week17ight.jpg

Really journaling is usually my biggest hang-up. I've been looking back at Facebook and my instagram for reminders of what was going on.

Let's get it done, ladies! I want to get 2016 wrapped up and printed

kristalund 01-06-2017 09:47 PM

I counted and I have 15 weeks of 2016 PL to complete (plus my DD album)! I hope to crank out a few more pages/weeks this weekend.
Anyone else scrappin' this weekend?

rach3975 01-07-2017 09:37 AM

2016 is the first year I really feel like I kept up with PL. I'm working on week 52 now, and I have about 4 earlier weeks I need to go back and do. Of course, this was my 4th year of PL. At this time last year I had about 25 weeks left of 2015, and about 10 are still waiting for me.

My plan: I'm going to finish 2016 then go back and work on 2015. My 2016 layouts are relatively simple. Each space gets a card or a photo; I don't layer papers or collage photos like I used to. At the end I add a handful of embellishments. For 2015 and years before, I didn't keep it simple enough. Many of the 2015 layouts I need to do are already laid out on the computer (photos and journaling in place with no scrappy stuff). I have to look back at what I did and decide if it will be faster to finish those or trash them and redo in a simpler style. I'm hoping for the first option!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

kristalund 01-07-2017 10:58 AM

Do you print individual layouts and put in page protectors/3 ring binders or print photo books?

ChristineF 01-07-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062856482)
Do you print individual layouts and put in page protectors/3 ring binders or print photo books?

I started off my first year printing as a photo book and I will never look back. It takes up less space than a thick ring binder and I love how sturdy and well done it looks and feel. I'm working hard to finish my book from 2016 within Tueday next week because I can get 40% off! (Norwegian site or I would share the offer)

rach3975 01-07-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062856482)

Until this year I printed individual pages. I was always so far behind that I knew I wanted to be able to print what I had done rather than wait years until I'd totally finished. When my kids were younger I also felt like I needed the page protectors and ability to reprint single pages so that I could let them look at the books. But I didn't like the bulk, so this year I decided I was going to commit to staying somewhat caught up so I could switch to photobooks. I've got January to June printed, and I'm hoping to be ready to print my July to December in March. (I'm almost done with PL, but I still have traditional pages to do.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ChristineF 01-08-2017 11:53 AM

I finsihed my 2016 book!! And when I ordered my book, the site asked if I wouldn't want a smaller (8x8) version for family or friends so I ordered two for the kids. Now they get a smaller version to take with them when they move out, and I get 40% off on book I was going to order one day anyway. Yay me!

rach3975 01-08-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristineF (Post 1062856559)
I finsihed my 2016 book!! And when I ordered my book, the site asked if I wouldn't want a smaller (8x8) version for family or friends so I ordered two for the kids. Now they get a smaller version to take with them when they move out, and I get 40% off on book I was going to order one day anyway. Yay me!

Congrats on getting it finished and printed!

joelsgirl 01-08-2017 06:08 PM

I don't need a support group nearly as much as I need KID FREE/RESPONSIBILITY FREE time!! I have been doing pocket albums since 2012, and I have a few things in every year that need to be done before they are "finished". My 2016 is really slacking, but I'm using Cindy's Universal Album 6: All Year Long to scrap the second half of 2016, and I love the uniformity it gives my album!

What are your plans? I'm torn between Crystal's new This Time of Year Templates and Misty's Words & Pictures series
What works for you? Space for pictures & words & cards
What product(s) help you stay current or get caught up FAST? Picking one template set and sticking with it really makes it go fast for me; putting my 2016 Part 2 together with Cindy's Universal Album was so easy.

After a couple of years of a monthly format, I'm thinking about going back to a weekly format for 2017. I think I feel more free to include filler cards and random stories when I'm making weekly pages.

Kjersti 01-09-2017 01:29 PM

This is my first year doing project life and my girls are both doing planners!
We sat down yesterday and have week one done!

Last night I started my format for week 2. Yikes! Wish me luck.

marlathrall 01-11-2017 11:45 AM

I managed to get my first week of 2017 and a catch of week for 2016 done already! I'm kinda loving clean and simple.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...eek15-left.jpg

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...week15ight.jpg

I print yearly photo books! They are my favorite thing ever.

I also make vacation photo books and hope to make one for Teddy each year.

ChristineF 01-11-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlathrall (Post 1062856859)
I managed to get my first week of 2017 and a catch of week for 2016 done already! I'm kinda loving clean and simple.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...eek15-left.jpg

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...week15ight.jpg

I print yearly photo books! They are my favorite thing ever.

I also make vacation photo books and hope to make one for Teddy each year.

I love your clean look pages. They're my style/goal for 2017.

DawnMarch 01-12-2017 07:12 PM

I just finished the first half of 2015 (I do a book for every 6 months, theoretically). I am just going to skip to 2017 and try to keep up with it this year.

kristalund 01-12-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnMarch (Post 1062857692)
I just finished the first half of 2015 (I do a book for every 6 months, theoretically). I am just going to skip to 2017 and try to keep up with it this year.

Nice job!
Do you print in a photo book or album?

Jennifer 01-12-2017 07:32 PM

I need to be in this group! I need help.
2013 and 2014--done
2015--missing Nov. and Dec.
2016--missing May-Dec.
2017--haven't even started.

I need to know what you guys think of physical vs digital vs app. Everything I've done so far is a mix of physical and digital but it takes forever. I've hesitated trying the app because I'm afraid I won't like having just 12x12 pages vs. having cards, etc. Thoughts?

kristalund 01-12-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 1062857701)
I need to be in this group! I need help.
2013 and 2014--done
2015--missing Nov. and Dec.
2016--missing May-Dec.
2017--haven't even started.

I need to know what you guys think of physical vs digital vs app. Everything I've done so far is a mix of physical and digital but it takes forever. I've hesitated trying the app because I'm afraid I won't like having just 12x12 pages vs. having cards, etc. Thoughts?

I have only done PL digitally thru Photoshop. The app seems too limiting for me b/c I really like using SSD Kits and embellishments. I know you can use them thru Dropbox but I am just comfortable with what I know. I have created a few simple pages. Last year I told myself I would use the App with my iPhone/iPad pix. That didn't last though.

MamaBee 01-12-2017 08:42 PM

I need help! :D I'm still plugging away...

2012 - done, needs to be printed
2013 - I'm in April... I did really time consuming pages... love the look, but takes a long time to do.. ugh.
2014 - 1/2 done and then the designer stopped designing the monthly sets I were using...
2015 - Trying to use Traci's Project Life stuff... I have random pages through the year, nothing really in order, so like I have to start over.
2016 - up to July with photos in, still need to journal and decorate June and July
2017 - not started... don't know what I want to do with it...

kristalund 01-12-2017 08:58 PM

Any suggestions on how we can use this space to help and encourage one another? Maybe check in weekly?

Jennifer 01-13-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062857734)
Any suggestions on how we can use this space to help and encourage one another? Maybe check in weekly?

I need someone to come to my house and threaten me. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rach3975 01-13-2017 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 1062857701)

I started doing weekly PL in 2013, and 2016 is the first year I managed to stay relatively caught up. Not only that, but I was finally able to go back to scrapping a decent number of non-PL pages. The only reason I managed it was the app. Using the app speeds me up because I have fewer options (forcing me to simplify my pages) and because there are a lot of times when I can spend 20 minutes on my phone or tablet when I couldn't be at a computer.

When I was thinking about how to approach 2016, I realized that trying to keep up with PL in Photoshop was sucking all the fun out of scrapping for me. I love having the PL pages to look back on, but I don't enjoy making them as much as traditional digital pages. I had to find a way to get them done quickly so I'd also have time for the scrapping I really enjoyed.

I do my app pages differently than most people. Yes, I want them simple and fast, but straight from the app they're too simple for me. After I finish them I pull them into PS, add one of the "pocket" overlays from SSD (I've been using Traci's stitched grids, but I think they were retired), and then add a few small clusters or elements. It's not as fast that way, but it's still much quicker than scrapping the entire thing in PS.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about cards vs. 12x12's. I started doing 2013 in cards, and I didn't like it at all. Within a few months I'd redone all my pages as 12x12's because they didn't stay well in the albums and it was making me nuts.

I hope you're able to find what works well for you!

kristalund 01-13-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1062857868)

I do my app pages differently than most people. Yes, I want them simple and fast, but straight from the app they're too simple for me. After I finish them I pull them into PS, add one of the "pocket" overlays from SSD (I've been using Traci's stitched grids, but I think they were retired), and then add a few small clusters or elements. It's not as fast that way, but it's still much quicker than scrapping the entire thing in PS.

I hope you're able to find what works well for you!

this is a fantastic idea! i LOVE traci's stitched grids!!

LynnZant 01-13-2017 12:04 PM

So, I was determined to start finishing up 2012 this morning, but when I went into the folder I discovered that I had finished it. It just needs to be reworded for a photo book and printed. I totally love the pages and am now so very sad that I didn't do it for the last four years.

So, good luck to everyone trying to keep on track this year! It's so worth it.

kristalund 01-13-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnZant (Post 1062857985)
So, I was determined to start finishing up 2012 this morning, but when I went into the folder I discovered that I had finished it. It just needs to be reworded for a photo book and printed. I totally love the pages and am now so very sad that I didn't do it for the last four years.

So, good luck to everyone trying to keep on track this year! It's so worth it.

what a nice surprise? is it possible to go back and work on the last 4 years?

kristalund 01-13-2017 02:03 PM

I have Hubby and Kids home sick today. Laundry and Lysol (and coffee) all.day.long. Hoping to knock out some 2016 PL pages today. Anyone else with me?

LynnZant 01-13-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062858066)
what a nice surprise? is it possible to go back and work on the last 4 years?

I stopped taking a photo a day starting in 2013, so I can't do that sort of project again; however, I did monthly review pages for 2015 which I liked--it's better than nothing. I still might go back and do that for 2016 since I keep a planner with what happened each day. I just pick one template that I like and use that for every month to keep it simple.

marlathrall 01-13-2017 04:02 PM

Rebecca & Lynn, print those books! Nothing will motivate you more then getting a finished project in your hands. It's such an awesome feeling!

rach3975 01-13-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlathrall (Post 1062858107)
Rebecca & Lynn, print those books! Nothing will motivate you more then getting a finished project in your hands. It's such an awesome feeling!

That's the other thing that motivated me not to get too far behind in 2016. I've always printed individual pages before, so I could print what I had and not think about what I hadn't gotten around to yet. This year I decided on 2 photobooks, each with 6 months of the year. I hated the idea of waiting a year or longer to have my layouts printed in a book, so it was incentive to get the pages done.

LynnZant 01-14-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlathrall (Post 1062858107)

I'm on it! It'll be even more fun to look at it printed because it was from so long ago and my girls were so much younger. I'm sure they will enjoy it.

Jennifer 01-14-2017 01:32 PM

Krista, how do you print your pages? Do you have any on hand? I'd love to see what your pages translate to IRL--they're SO fabulous! :wub:

kristalund 02-18-2017 10:53 AM

Sadly, I don't have anything to report on my PL Albums. I am still sending myself an email a day with something I want to include in my PL pages
ie
something funny the kids said
a feeling
recognizing a job well done
an email from a teacher

Hopefully you have been more successful than I have!

marlathrall 02-23-2017 12:18 PM

I've been working hard on finishing up last years album but am already behind on this years. Editing pictures is the bane of my existence. lol.

kristalund 02-23-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlathrall (Post 1062865420)
I've been working hard on finishing up last years album but am already behind on this years. Editing pictures is the bane of my existence. lol.

what program do you use? I found LR really helped speed of the process.

Jazz2000 02-23-2017 09:54 PM

I kept wanting to start it, but then I would forget to take pics or why I took them and no journaling. Just spiraled down. Last month, I bought a Happy Planner on clearance. Just pulled it out yesterday. ugh. but I'm using it to write down daily stuff.

I did do a few March pages from 2013 and one week this year February. Better than nothing.

Jazz2000 02-23-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062864936)
Sadly, I don't have anything to report on my PL Albums. I am still sending myself an email a day with something I want to include in my PL pages
ie
something funny the kids said
a feeling
recognizing a job well done
an email from a teacher

Hopefully you have been more successful than I have!

OMG! I get those weekly, sometimes a few day, mostly for missing assignments (my younger boys hate turning in homework for some reason. The homework done - just don't want to get up & put in the tray.)

kristalund 02-24-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz2000 (Post 1062865531)
I kept wanting to start it, but then I would forget to take pics or why I took them and no journaling. Just spiraled down. Last month, I bought a Happy Planner on clearance. Just pulled it out yesterday. ugh. but I'm using it to write down daily stuff.

I did do a few March pages from 2013 and one week this year February. Better than nothing.

I love the look of planners and would love to start one but I don't want to start another unfinished project or put another thing on my to do list. Maybe some day.;)

joelsgirl 02-24-2017 07:25 PM

I really wanted to go back to weekly pages this year, but {sigh} February is almost done & I've only done week 1, so looks like that's not happening. I just feel like life is so not photo worthy and I forget to take pics in the "everyday" moments.

rach3975 02-25-2017 11:47 PM

There's something about PL pages--I HAVE to do them in order even though with my other pages I skip around. So here we are in late Feb. and I'm just finishing week 1 because I had some 2016 pages left to do. I've been taking photos and making journaling notes, so I'm not that worried about catching up for 2017. At least not for PL...it's my other pages that are going to be the issue.

I feel like I still have so much left to finish for 2016 before I move on to 2017. I do much better scrapping January through early fall, then I give up on the end of the year so I don't fall too far behind the next year. I tell myself that I'll get back and finish the year "someday," but that kind of thinking is why my DD's late-December birthday is probably our family's least scrapped annual event. [insert very embarrassed blushing smiley here] I think I need to quit my job and scrap all day to catch up. Oh well, it's good to have goals!

kristalund 03-10-2017 09:28 AM

Weekend Goal- Get 1 week complete!
Who is with me??

Post them here when you get them done :)

rach3975 03-11-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062867332)
Weekend Goal- Get 1 week complete!
Who is with me??

Post them here when you get them done :)

We have company this weekend so I'm probably not scrapping. I'll try to play along after they leave. I'm halfway through week 2 right now, so my goal will be to finish 2 and 3.

I'm thinking I might need to go back to albums for 2017. I tried doing 2016 as photobooks, but it's too hard to get the entire year scrapped in a reasonable amount of time. (Goal was to print July to December by the end of this month, but I'm not even close. My PL pages are done, but I have too many non-PL layouts left to do.) Much as I love the look and compactness of the photobooks, I need the freedom to move on to the current year instead of getting further and further behind.

LynnZant 03-11-2017 09:57 AM

I'm currently obsessing about getting three old vacation albums done. I think that PL isn't for me right now. I'd be too stressed.

kristalund 03-11-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnZant (Post 1062867463)
I'm currently obsessing about getting three old vacation albums done. I think that PL isn't for me right now. I'd be too stressed.

I recently completed a Tahoe Vacation Album...I was like a mad woman trying to get it done! I have several more Vacation Albums to complete but I think I need a change in subject. Good Luck!

kristalund 03-11-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1062867462)
Much as I love the look and compactness of the photobooks, I need the freedom to move on to the current year instead of getting further and further behind.

I love the compactness of photo books too!!

A-M 03-11-2017 04:32 PM

I am pleased to read I am not the only one behind.
Last year I was doing my pages monthly and only got January and February completed then life got a little crazy with busy things ( not bad things) and this year I am doing weekly pages and am not too far behind... just two weeks to do to catch up.
then to finish off last year I decided to change the format of what I was doing so have only completed January so far.

joelsgirl 03-11-2017 08:31 PM

I have actually spent my weekend working on PL catch up!

I'm using Cindy's Universal Album: All Year Long for the second half of last year, and I have all the photos placed in the pages. This weekend I completed July.
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com..._07JulyPG1.jpg https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com..._07JulyPG2.jpg

For 2017, I'm using Misty's Words & PIctures Templates, and I went through and picked my templates for each week and plugged in my photos. I also updated my title page:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...itlePage_1.jpg
And I'm still working!