Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hybrid Chatter (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Do you need a Silhouette? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63117)

Mari Koegelenberg 04-24-2012 12:10 PM

Do you need a Silhouette?

I hope I can convince you to get one! ;)

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...-a-silhouette/

Lyd 04-24-2012 12:40 PM

I am not much of a hybrider, but I would LOVE to get my hands on a Cameo, and I'm sure I would do more hybrid projects if I had one. Hopefully, it will happen one of these days.

melanie3boys 04-24-2012 12:41 PM

I would LOVE one! I've been eyeing one for a couple years now. Btw, the new Silhouette Cameo is supposed to cut up to 12x12. :)

yari 04-24-2012 12:49 PM

I want one really bad now after seeing all that you could do! So does it also print or do you have to print it first in your own printer and then have it go through the silhouette?

heathergw 04-24-2012 01:06 PM

I don't even have to look and know I need one LOL... cutting things by hand take forever LOL

Mari Koegelenberg 04-24-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yari (Post 975475)
I want one really bad now after seeing all that you could do! So does it also print or do you have to print it first in your own printer and then have it go through the silhouette?

You print using your own printer....the Silhouette Studio software adds the registration marks for your cutter to read them!

sarahbhb 04-24-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathergw (Post 975479)
I don't even have to look and know I need one LOL... cutting things by hand take forever LOL

This is me also. One of these days I hope.

Andrea Gourley 04-24-2012 01:42 PM

I used to have a Craft Robo which was the original computerised cutting machine and then I bought a Cricut Expression when they were first invented and I probably used both of them a dozen times, eventually I sold my Cricut (to fund my Copic addiction!) and after another year of not using it I got rid of my Robo too. Of course, just after I got rid of them both new software came out that meant you could cut more. But I do like my scissors :) I will continue to say that through clenched teeth :D

MamaBee 04-24-2012 03:11 PM

hmm... I really like cutting things out by hand - I find it very therapeutic... *ducking and running for the door....*

NeverendingJen 04-24-2012 03:14 PM

want..yes. need? no. sigh. it's on my lottery list, lol

WendyBird 04-24-2012 04:12 PM

I ♥ my Cameo! I got it in February and haven't had time to play with it as much as I like, but I'm moving this weekend and will have a craft room! *jumping up and down with excitement* So once I get set up, I'm going to be spending some quality cutting time!

For some reason my Silhouette Studio software is not playing nice right now and crashes my pc every time I open it, but at least I can use it on my laptop until I get it figured out...

Mari Koegelenberg 04-24-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendyBird (Post 975553)
I ♥ my Cameo! I got it in February and haven't had time to play with it as much as I like, but I'm moving this weekend and will have a craft room! *jumping up and down with excitement* So once I get set up, I'm going to be spending some quality cutting time!

For some reason my Silhouette Studio software is not playing nice right now and crashes my pc every time I open it, but at least I can use it on my laptop until I get it figured out...

I suggest you contact the support guys...they are awesome!

WendyBird 04-24-2012 04:30 PM

Thanks, I will! It started last weekend and it's packed up now, so I haven't had a chance to contact them yet.

kristijoy 04-24-2012 05:41 PM

I pulled mine out of the box after our move!!! But now I have to reinstall the software....

interstitchal 04-24-2012 06:01 PM

This is a great show-off-what-it-can-do post! The Silhouette is totally on my "someday" wishlist!

CA Dreamer 04-24-2012 08:12 PM

Perfect! I was wondering if we could print with our own printer or not.
Christine Newman(Listgirl..Supertwinkle) has a lot of ways that she has used her Cameo for cards and project life. http://www.listgirl.com/2012/04/2012...e-week-14.html

melanie3boys 04-24-2012 08:15 PM

Did you see the giveaway for the Silhouette Cameo here? http://www.sewdangcutecrafts.com/201...22909680614617

Sherri Tierney 04-24-2012 08:15 PM

Okay, so tell me... at work one of the teachers gave me a project. I have to cut out 10,000 little shapes. She traced them on to cardstock and had them xeroxed onto colored paper. Its a tedious project and there is space around each shape so no it takes longer than it should. I imagined creating the same sheets in photoshop leaving no spaces between the shapes and making them quicker to cut (and getting more on a page). Then my thoughts started drifting to the silhouette. Would I be able to use something like that to cut these out with? I can imagine all sorts of possibilities for using one for home projects and school projects but if it could cut something that would save me literally a hundred hours or more work, that would be amazing.

Mari Koegelenberg 04-24-2012 08:42 PM

yes you can...you can clean it up in Photoshop (apply threshold etc.) and then open it in the software and just cut. Heaven I tell you! ;)

Mari Koegelenberg 04-24-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Dreamer (Post 975652)
Perfect! I was wondering if we could print with our own printer or not.
Christine Newman(Listgirl..Supertwinkle) has a lot of ways that she has used her Cameo for cards and project life. http://www.listgirl.com/2012/04/2012...e-week-14.html

Yes you need to use your own printer for the machine to be correctly calibrated.

In this example I traced some digital flower stickers, printed it and sent it to my Silhouette.

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/w...s/DSC_2039.jpg

you can see in the close up the nice smooth clean cut lines.

But you can use it with your paper stash as well.

http://mydigitalartstudio.com/wp-con...2/DSC_3506.jpg

here are some fonts I cut with my Silhouette and stitched onto my project life cards.

tettletop20 04-24-2012 09:26 PM

Awesome post, Mari!

Joana1n 04-24-2012 09:31 PM

Great post - LOVE my Silhouette Cameo!!!

livelys 04-25-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 975532)
want..yes. need? no. sigh. it's on my lottery list, lol

:D this totally me too! In the meantime, I do love my pink scissors really really :)

adrianka 04-25-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 975530)
hmm... I really like cutting things out by hand - I find it very therapeutic... *ducking and running for the door....*

This. :-) I've always loved using scissors with paper projects, it's calming in a way.

I have the Slice and I concluded that I'm not the machine-cutting type of person. I also remember that when I tried to use Martha Stewart circle cutter to cut about 40 circles, I ended up with doing it with scissors with a better (and quicker) results.

I think we could introduce a Hybrid Personality Typology consisting of type S (scissors-loving) and type C (cutter-loving) personalities. ;-)

That said, the Silhouette looks impressive and if I should ever get a machine, this would be it.

Thanks, Mari, for sharing the info.

dailydwellin 04-25-2012 11:48 AM

I want one sooooo bad! I recently sold my Cricut because I got frustrated with having to buy the cartridges which were way too expensive. I wanted to do so much more than I could do with the ones I had. Now, I just have to convince my husband that I will actually use the Silhouette! I applied for an educator's discount with Silhouette, but I'm not sure how much it will help out, yet.

kristijoy 04-25-2012 12:24 PM

OK! Installed the CD software and then upgraded to Silhouette Studio. It's still not finidng my old cutting files, guess I'll have to figure that out later....

cinna 04-25-2012 12:34 PM

THANKS for posting this Mari! I sooo need to get mine to work - it´s my weekend project! :thumbup:

kelleighr 04-25-2012 10:11 PM

Great blog post, Mari!! I agree, I LOVE my Silhouette! It's such a blast!

FireWolf 04-25-2012 10:16 PM

I loved my Silhouette but I loove my Cameo even more! I do however need to use it more.

Melissa Bennett 04-27-2012 09:28 PM

I will own one someday!! Soon I hope!

littlekiwi 04-27-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Bennett (Post 976998)
I will own one someday!! Soon I hope!

me too - I can wish, can't I?

scrappy_donna 04-28-2012 09:23 AM

my number one wish atm :D alredy hinted to hubby about this but my problem is the shipping fee. it's super expensive shipping stuff to Saudi Arabia :(
so....i'd have to wait for the right time... he said when we have our vacation next year..to the Philippines lol!

Arual 05-04-2012 02:27 PM

I don't do much hybrid at all anymore, but I would loooove to have a Cameo anyways! lol

cardinalskate 05-04-2012 04:32 PM

Using scissors is seriously why I don't do more hybrid. I hate it. So yes, one of these machines is definitely on my dream list!

HellePF 05-05-2012 11:33 AM

I have a Cameo and I absolute in love with that machine.
I haven't been digiscrapping for almost a year, but now I look at all my digistash - and in the shop, of course - with new eyes. Love the Print and Cut feature, it opens so many doors in hybrid scrap

And it is not only the elements you can use. The papers is great for fill out the shapes and the again print and cut.

supertwinkle 05-07-2012 04:55 PM

I absolutely LOVE my Silhouette! I've had it (the SD) for more than two years and I've made so many things with it! I think it's the BEST invention ever and even my husband Todd has said, "wow, you really got your money's worth out of that purchase"!

You can see all my projects using the Silhouette here on my blog:
http://www.listgirl.com/search/label/Silhouette

Mari Koegelenberg 05-07-2012 11:25 PM

@Christine! I follow your blog for PL Inspiration! Love love your pages! ;)

And yes it is the best thing since sliced bread! lol

Sharon Kay 05-09-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 975855)
OK! Installed the CD software and then upgraded to Silhouette Studio. It's still not finidng my old cutting files, guess I'll have to figure that out later....

Call tech support ... they seriously are awesome!

ovaltine 05-11-2012 01:14 AM

Is Cameo a better option than the SD? Anyone? I'm seriously considering it after I saw what it can do :)

FireWolf 05-11-2012 01:39 AM

I have the Cameo now and had the SD previously and in my honest opinion, YES, the Cameo is better for a few different reasons.
1. it can cut 12 x 12 paper...I still paper scrap so that is important to me.
2. it is quieter than the SD
3. Due to it's deeper footprint I no longer have isses with the paper coming off the mat due to it bending too much.

Mari Koegelenberg 05-11-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovaltine (Post 984462)
Is Cameo a better option than the SD? Anyone? I'm seriously considering it after I saw what it can do :)

Yes and i also think the SD has been discontinued?

Milmomma 05-11-2012 09:04 AM

LOL, I have the one before the SD... yes its old. I could totally use a basic how to if anyone wants to lead me in any direction. I haven't powered it on in years and am a little scared. I'd love to figure out how to cut out flowers I've printed. Given I don't have the ability to do it all with one machine, would it still be possible?

ovaltine 05-11-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari Koegelenberg (Post 984546)
Yes and i also think the SD has been discontinued?

I thought I saw both on Amazon. Oh now I really, really want a Cameo :wub:

Rainman_mark 02-22-2013 10:31 PM

So does it also print or do you have to print it first in your own printer and then have it go through the silhouette?
RS Gold|Diablo 3 Gold|GW2 gold|WoW Gold

Mari Koegelenberg 02-23-2013 12:32 AM

Yes you print on your own printer and the silhouette reads the registration marks and uses that to figure out where to cut.

mixedclawzz 02-23-2013 02:12 AM

I got my Cameo for myself for Christmas. Best purchase EVER as far as crafting goes. I've used it more in the couple months I've had it than I ever did my Cricut which I would love to sell but I don't think anyone would buy it. Youtube videos helped me alot especially with figuring out print and cut.

Beebo 02-23-2013 10:03 AM

Where can you buy the Cameo without going online to get it?

Mari Koegelenberg 02-23-2013 12:33 PM

As far as I know they are only available online. You might be able to check with your local LSS if they have them available.

NeverendingJen 02-23-2013 12:42 PM

If you go to the silhouette website, you can actually search for locations that carry them. There are some places that do.

heathergw 02-23-2013 03:28 PM

my Archivers has them, but that's the only local b&m place I've seen them