Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   i require a french canadian please. (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59435)

lauren grier 12-08-2011 06:24 PM

i require a french canadian please.

I need the spelling of a word.. my grandmother was a full fledged french canadian lady.. she and my grandfather spoke their slangy french all the time and therefore some of the words are part of my regular vocabulary..

i can not find a spelling for what we called slippers. it sounds sorta like poupons - i know that poupon means bebe in regular french-- it's possible this is the spelling of the word we used but i am not sure.

Thank you kindly :]

Jenn Barrette 12-08-2011 06:29 PM

I am Canadian...and am part French, I even have a kid in a French Immersion school...but I had no idea. LOL, so I googled it - pantoufle Does that sound like it might be it?

lauren grier 12-08-2011 06:30 PM

no :p lol

it sounds like the mustard

Jenn Barrette 12-08-2011 06:34 PM

LOL Did you try Michy? She should know these things.

Libby Pritchett 12-08-2011 06:47 PM

Stéphanie here should know, too.

Kiki 12-08-2011 07:56 PM

I lived in Quebec and we called them pantoufles. Mouton is the word for sheep, so they might have used a derivative from wool or something.

ETA: they could also be called Pichous.

nanienamou 12-08-2011 08:12 PM

pantoufles, as kiki said, or chaussons, maybe? :confused:

lauren grier 12-08-2011 08:15 PM

nope..def pou sound. We still say it-- my grandfather just said it the other day so i know i'm not remembering it wrong ^_^ I'm sure it's just a weird altered version of something.

Giseli Freitas 12-08-2011 09:37 PM

See, I'm not Canadian, I speak very little of English and French, but I have TONS of Brazilian friends living en Quebec, so... maybe they were talking about sheepskin slippers = pantoufles en peau (which I think would sound like pou) de mouton.
xoxo

lauren grier 12-09-2011 03:06 AM

lol.. maybe..

french canadians are weird. i've decided that. :p
i'm sure it's just another situation of transferring a word to another meaning like how we said bibittes (spelling.. again :p) for chocolate jimmies.

lauren grier 12-09-2011 03:11 AM

there's also apparently a gabillion versions of canadian french.. AND the version spoken in my area (northeast us) is slightly altered from that of other areas. Super duper. LOL i'm never going to find it.

nanienamou 12-09-2011 09:48 AM

ha ha bibittes is used for bugs, here...

We're not weird, we just have an extensive slang, but that always happens when a small "bubble" of people do not speak the same language as the sea of people around them. Also, we use alot of English terms (especially where I live - near the Ontario border).

I'm still thinking about the slippers - I really have no clue... Maybe it's a brand name?

pixelstix 12-09-2011 10:24 AM

MIL calls them pantoufles too- I think. I don't know if they shorten it or what, but it sounds like "pan-toose" or "pan-tooz" depending on who says it.

sunfoxrising 11-14-2017 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren grier (Post 908946)
I need the spelling of a word.. my grandmother was a full fledged french canadian lady.. she and my grandfather spoke their slangy french all the time and therefore some of the words are part of my regular vocabulary..

i can not find a spelling for what we called slippers. it sounds sorta like poupons - i know that poupon means bebe in regular french-- it's possible this is the spelling of the word we used but i am not sure.

Thank you kindly :]

is

I know this is old but my whole family also called knitted slipper poupons. I'm from a big french community in Connecticut but we lost most of our french. That part of the family I was told were all from Montreal and Sainte Marie though I have dig up surveys suggesting some other members might have lived further north near the west Quebec border and others in Quebec City. It might be a slang word not used since the early 1900s in or near Montreal
would be my best guess. They did have a habit of slurring english and French words together to make new meanings as well so that cpuld be a factor. Every baby for instance is "La petite bibits" but it sounds almost like "pretty".

Scrap-therapy 11-14-2017 04:37 AM

Hello Lauren,

I’m not Canadian just French lol.
The 1st word that came to me to translate slippers is «*chaussons*», it sounds like «*poupon*» so maybe it is this word?
Then Pantoufles would be the right word to translate it.
If not I love all the versions I read here, think canadian french is super fun and interesting!:)
Hope it’ll help!:p

jen104 11-14-2017 02:30 PM

It definitely is poupons. But we used it only to describe the hand-made old fashioned knitted slippers that our Mémère made for us. Any other regular slippers were pantoufles where I come from.

Leablahblah 11-14-2017 05:59 PM

babouche, charentaise, chausson, chaussure, gougounes, mule, savate, soulier

gig.glebox 12-26-2018 04:46 PM

Poupons

My friend's grandma used to make them for us for Christmas, birthdays, etc. She always called them poupons or pupons. I think it is poupons and I think they call them that because they resemble baby booties.

Ponytails 12-29-2018 12:43 AM

This thread is so funny to read! My mother is also French Canadian and my grandmother always made those slippers. I had a pair or two my entire young life... but I've never had a word for them other than slippers. We were the sole members of the family who lived outside of Quebec though (Vancouver area) and we always spoke in English.

JennNtheBoys 01-01-2019 01:43 PM

I think you have the spelling correct..... it may just be 'slang' which is why you can't find a proper spelling / definition. I have seen many sets of knit 'poupons' listed on etsy, spelled that way.