Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Psd files - keep or delete? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81633)

klee73010 06-28-2015 10:11 AM

Psd files - keep or delete?

Do you keep your PSD files after completing a page? How long do you keep them?

Now that I am using GIMP pretty much exclusively, I have both .xcf files AND .psd for almost every layout. I have a feeling if I keep scrapping at this rate, I will run out of room on my EHD. :/

Getting rid of things is against my hoarding nature.... but I'm not sure what the "norm" is for digi land.

YepBrook 06-28-2015 10:20 AM

I usually keep the .psd, because I am prone to make mistakes and I like to be able to go back and correct them before I print the layout. If I created the layout with a template, I usually delete the .psd after having it printed. But if it's a layout I made from scratch I like to save the .psd... and it's good that I did. Now that I design templates, I'm able to go back to some of my favorite layouts I designed and easily turn them into templates.

nesser1981 06-28-2015 10:43 AM

I delete them after the layout has been printed.

staciahall 06-28-2015 11:01 AM

I keep mine for a while. I don't save my layouts for print when I'm finished with them. I like to go through them again and recheck the spelling, make sure it's dated etc. When I've done that, I could delete the PSD's but I usually keep for a year. I'm lucky to have plenty of hard drive space.

Saar 06-28-2015 11:53 AM

I keep mine too.
Last year, I deleted my 2010 to 2012 .psd LO files.

rach3975 06-28-2015 12:07 PM

I keep until they're printed, which usually is about 4 months. The only time I've regretted getting rid of them is when I wanted to adapt a couple of pages for a calendar and couldn't, so not that big a deal. I'm set in my system and don't plan to change it, but if I was making a change I might keep psds with the current year's photos until the calendar was done (ie, delete yearly instead of 3 times a year).

annet83 06-28-2015 01:03 PM

After I print my book, I delete the psd files. I don't need them anymore afterwards, so I think it's a waste of space.

mariewilcox 06-28-2015 03:43 PM

I'm the odd man out - I delete, delete, delete :D

I triple check my layout before saving for spelling mistakes and if it still gets past me then I chalk it up to being human - I'm definitely not perfect and if an occasional layout shows that then it doesn't bother me. In the 6 years I've been digi scrapping there hasn't been a time when I wished I had saved a PSD file, so I don't waste the space keeping them.

NeverendingJen 06-28-2015 04:14 PM

I keep my layered files forever. I use TIFF instead of PSD though

jennv 06-28-2015 09:21 PM

Keep. Storage is cheap. I once went back to grab this awesome element from a LO from back when I started in 2009 from a designer that is long gone!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nettio 06-29-2015 12:08 AM

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd kept every PSD file for every layout I'd made going back to 2006. But I reached the point where I needed the space and made the decision to delete all the layered files for any layout I'd already printed and am not likely to reuse the design (which I do sometimes.)

I know people say space is cheap but for me it isn't because every time I upgrade my storage EHD, I end up having to upgrade my backup drive as well. I'd rather use that money for something else than storing files I never use. I haven't regretted it so far!

misfitinmn 06-29-2015 07:58 AM

I don't save layered files. Not even for a little while. Once I'm done with a page, I flatten and save. I know I'd never go back and fix anything on them (lazy) so I just pretend it's a paper page and I journaled in pen. It's burned me a few times but not enough to change my ways. 😀

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nixenkind 06-29-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfitinmn (Post 1062758979)
I don't save layered files. Not even for a little while. Once I'm done with a page, I flatten and save. I know I'd never go back and fix anything on them (lazy) so I just pretend it's a paper page and I journaled in pen. It's burned me a few times but not enough to change my ways. 😀

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's me, too. 100%.

jumbbumble 06-29-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixenkind (Post 1062758980)
That's me, too. 100%.

i am also like that

zakirahzakaria 06-29-2015 10:45 AM

I keep my PSD. I always zip it up into 7zip file using a program called Keka. Compared to other archiving formats like RAR & ZIP, 7zip can compress a file so much more, making the final archive smaller.

Normally, my PSD layouts are around 250-400mb (especially bigger with PL spreads), but 7zip format can compress it into ¼ of its original size.

missmarcy 06-29-2015 11:31 AM

I used to keep them all, but now I just wait till it's printed and then delete them. I do keep some of my school related layouts in .tiff form though. Having 4 kiddos there will be lots of school layouts and I like the idea of being able to slip new photos into old layouts and just change out the words and maybe a paper or two to save a butt load of time =)

SeattleSheri 06-30-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1062758909)
I keep my layered files forever. I use TIFF instead of PSD though

This is me. I've been known to go back and either make a template out of the layout or reuse it with different photos, etc ... I like the flexibility of having those options and because I don't have space constraints, there isn't really a downside for me.

DawnMarch 06-30-2015 11:28 AM

I keep them on DVD. When I accumulate a bunch, I'll burn them all to a disk. Then I delete them from my hard drive. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like having them somewhere, even if it's unlikely I'll go back and use them.

NeverendingJen 06-30-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSheri (Post 1062759076)
This is me. I've been known to go back and either make a template out of the layout or reuse it with different photos, etc ... I like the flexibility of having those options and because I don't have space constraints, there isn't really a downside for me.

yep! I actually just turned a layout into a template and reused it...from 2009, LOL

zakirahzakaria 06-30-2015 02:37 PM

Yup, me too. I like having PSDs of my layouts so when I have enough to fit into a DVD, I'll burn them and delete from my computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnMarch (Post 1062759084)
I keep them on DVD. When I accumulate a bunch, I'll burn them all to a disk. Then I delete them from my hard drive. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like having them somewhere, even if it's unlikely I'll go back and use them.

klee73010 06-30-2015 09:35 PM

So many different options! I'm not out of space yet.... :)

~☆Kristina☆~