Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Reads-Book Club (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Would ya'll wanna read?? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63383)

BrattyMeg 05-03-2012 05:52 PM

Would ya'll wanna read??

50 Shades of Grey or do you think it's too naughty?

I've read it and liked it (and went into it not thinking it was "my type" of reading material but I was instantly hooked)

If not we can choose another book. My problem is I get excited about a book then just can't get into it. I've read a lot this month and none of them were the book club book...blah

Lemme know if there's enough interest and if so we'll pick it up after NSD :)

Robin Carlton 05-03-2012 05:55 PM

I'm in the process of reading book 2 and I'd love a place to chat about it tbh. There are parts I love and parts I want to rant about... I think it'd be great to have an adult discussion about it even if it doesnt make it as the "official" sweet read :)

NeverendingJen 05-03-2012 05:57 PM

I'm going to cave and read it after NSD.

BrattyMeg 05-03-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 979509)
I'm in the process of reading book 2 and I'd love a place to chat about it tbh. There are parts I love and parts I want to rant about... I think it'd be great to have an adult discussion about it even if it doesnt make it as the "official" sweet read :)

I'm aching to finish book 3 but been crazy busy this week (wonder why) so I haven't been able to pick it up...after Saturday though I'm gonna be all over it! (pun intended)

Jenn Barrette 05-03-2012 06:02 PM

This is the next in my "to read" pile, so I would love to chat about it here!

tanyiadeskins 05-03-2012 07:39 PM

I am about to start book 3 tonight. :thumbup:

litabells 05-03-2012 07:42 PM

I plan on geting started on this one soon - so many people are talking about it that I'm all curious! Would love to chatter with you all about it

haydensmommy217 05-03-2012 08:08 PM

I am just starting on the first book, id love to talk about it here :)

Traci Reed 05-03-2012 08:15 PM

I JUST started it. It's kind of horribly written so the story better be good.

ryliesmom 05-03-2012 09:00 PM

I'm almost finished with the first one. I'd love to talk about it here.

Julie Billingsley 05-03-2012 09:10 PM

did you all know it originally was fan-fiction written about the Twilight characters? I guess she changed up the characters some when she decided to publish it. I've never read the Twilight books or watched the movies (please don't stone me LOL) so I was wondering if you all noticed the Twilight subtleties in it?

NeverendingJen 05-03-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley (Post 979631)
did you all know it originally was fan-fiction written about the Twilight characters? I guess she changed up the characters some when she decided to publish it. I've never read the Twilight books or watched the movies (please don't stone me LOL) so I was wondering if you all noticed the Twilight subtleties in it?

I knew, mostly because my twilight obsessed friends told me, lol. She had to change the characters when it went from free fanfic to published.

mrshobbes 05-03-2012 09:20 PM

LOL I literally just opened this book like 10 minutes ago, and I'm hooked. Oy. I have a gadzilion layouts to finish!

But having it as part of the book club and up for discussion would be pretty cool!

YepBrook 05-03-2012 09:29 PM

I don't need to read it, Ellen summed it up for me:
Ellen Reads 50 Shades of Grey

*Celeste* 05-03-2012 09:33 PM

no it's too racy. just kidding. bwa ha ha.

usaf_wife10 05-03-2012 10:16 PM

I had no idea that SSD had a book club! Where have I been? I've been wanting to read 50 shades of grey for a while now! I downloaded the free first few chapters last month and I loved it!

Shawna 05-03-2012 11:41 PM

I'm reading the third book now and it's so good I haven't gotten much of anything done around here since starting the first book on Saturday evening! I'd definitely be up for chatting about the books!

Stacey42 05-04-2012 06:34 AM

I read the first book, but it was horrible written IMO, like she didn't get an editor but just had the fan fic version published. I kept looking for a red pen to circle the grammar mistakes :) The story was good, though I have issues with a couple things. I'm still debating reading the other two because the writing did distract me from the story. Are the others better done?
I know it's Twilight fan fic but unless the connection had been pointed out to me I wouldn't have seen it. Of course older domineering male/young innocent female type stories are not really Twilight specific :)

I've gotten diverted to another series, the Rough Rider series, by Lorelei James, so it will probably be a week or so before I have time to get back to 50 Shades

NeverendingJen 05-04-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey42 (Post 979873)

I've gotten diverted to another series, the Rough Rider series, by Lorelei James, so it will probably be a week or so before I have time to get back to 50 Shades

Oh my. I got hooked on the Rough Rider series a year or so ago. I'm anxiously awaiting the next books in the series, lol.

tanyiadeskins 05-04-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey42 (Post 979873)
I read the first book, but it was horrible written IMO, like she didn't get an editor but just had the fan fic version published. I kept looking for a red pen to circle the grammar mistakes :) The story was good, though I have issues with a couple things. I'm still debating reading the other two because the writing did distract me from the story. Are the others better done?
I know it's Twilight fan fic but unless the connection had been pointed out to me I wouldn't have seen it. Of course older domineering male/young innocent female type stories are not really Twilight specific :)

imo they are not much better than the first one...but I am one of those ridiculous people that HAVE to finish the trilogy once I start. I am now flipping past all the sex crap... seriously, I never thought I would get too much in a story lol....

crecia27 05-04-2012 08:41 AM

I just finished the third one so I'd be game.

Sasha 05-04-2012 09:57 AM

Im in line at the library so wont get to read it for another few weeks =(

maryinaz 05-04-2012 11:15 AM

I downloaded the trilogy from the library after I said I was NOT going to read it. I got in about 150 pages and gave it up. I was just rolling my eyes too much.

But just a hint - if you are waiting for book 1, 2, or 3 individually at the library, check and see if they have the trilogy all together. At my digital library there were more than 100 people on the waitlist for each book, but 2-3 copies available of the trilogy. I guess people didn't know to look for that.

I never seem to be in sync with this book club. :( And I read all the time.

Arual 05-04-2012 12:28 PM

I have not read this, but I also didn't know it was a trilogy. Whoa.

Milmomma 05-04-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette (Post 979517)
This is the next in my "to read" pile, so I would love to chat about it here!

This is me. I've been slacking in my reading lately. But I may just skip my current book and start this if its whats up next ;)

Robin Carlton 05-04-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 979654)
I don't need to read it, Ellen summed it up for me:
Ellen Reads 50 Shades of Grey

*dies laughing* lololol

emmasmommy 05-05-2012 04:26 PM

i haven't picked up anything else since i've read this. no one will compete with christian grey right now
*sigh*

tettletop20 05-07-2012 03:41 PM

Fifty Shades of Grey is seriously awesome. I have read the first book twice now and love it just as much. I have also read some other books since reading it and nothing compares.

Shawna 05-07-2012 03:44 PM

I was so sad when I finished the last book, I didn't want it to end!!