Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Korker hair bows (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65223)

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 08:50 PM

Korker hair bows

Do any of you make your own korker bows? Chloe has a couple that are SO cute. I'd love to get her some more, but I was thinking it might be fun to learn to make them myself so that I can do a bunch of different colors. I found a few instructions online, but I'm wondering how hard it really is.

Anyone have any experience with it?

britaneejean 07-13-2012 09:01 PM

it's super easy!! just wrap the ribbons around a dowel & then cook them for 15-20 mins (i think) at 200 degrees. i used clothespins to hold them in place at the ends. let them cool & then they slide right off the dowels. cut them to the length you want & make sure to seal the ends before you make the bows.

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 09:02 PM

Is making the actual bow itself pretty easy? I'm thinking I'd use alligator clips since those seem to stay best in her hair right now. Even though i've got a girl already, I've actually never made a bow! LOL

britaneejean 07-13-2012 09:09 PM

yep, there's a few ways to put the actual "korker" ribbons together...either grab a bunch and wrap string around in the middle & tie a knot OR using some needle & thread, thread through the middle of the korker ribbons and go back & forth a few times, then knot.

for the alligator clip, you can just add some hot glue and glue it right on. some people glue ribbon onto the clip first before glueing on the bow but that's really all about preference.

...did any of that make sense?

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 09:19 PM

It did! Thank you!!! I think I'll seek out a youtube video, too, but that definitely helps. It sounds like something I could actually do! LOL

Sherri Tierney 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

I made a bunch for Caitrin but she had already outgrown the look so she never really wore them. I just found them fun to make. I used starch to help hold my curls in place. I didn't think putting the bow together was too hard but I used a different kind of barrette as alligator clips and other such clips don't stay in Caitrin's hair very well. Sorry I'm no help as I didn't even try the alligator clips.

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 09:31 PM

Sherri, what type of clip did you use? The few bows that I've used so far in Chloe's hair have been alligator, but I'm open to trying others if you have a suggestion. Her hair is super fine right now, and it has a life of its own!

jessica31876 07-13-2012 09:41 PM

I always wet the ribbon before putting it in the oven. It made it curlier.

Sherri Tierney 07-13-2012 09:45 PM

I don't know what they are called exactly... maybe I can find a picture of them online. Just a regular sort of hair clip like the decorative ones you get in the hair accessory department only these were in the craft department and are plain.

Yep, I wet it too, Jessica. I wet it, wrapped it and then sprayed everything good with starch before baking. A few times I baked, let it dry, sprayed it again and baked again. That was just one particular spool of ribbon I had that wasn't holding well though.

MandaT 07-13-2012 09:57 PM

I've put them on the snap-clips as well, as the alligator clips

I always wet, wrap, spray, bake, cool, remove, cut, seal, put together. I've used different kinds of ribbons (satin/grosgrain/ricrac/thick/thin/textured)

rachaelsscraps 07-13-2012 09:58 PM

Funny you started this thread, I just made about 20 korker bows today! :)

rachaelsscraps 07-13-2012 10:00 PM

For fine baby hair, I just take a piece of stiff grosgain and fold it in half (can bake it pressed in half so it stays better, just pinch one end with the clothespin) and sew or hot glue some velcro inside. The velcro will stay easily in baby hair (and is easy to remove without pulling). You just can't put heavy bows on it or they will fall out.
I hope that made sense! ;)

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 10:11 PM

Well, you guys are just full of awesome information! I'm anxious to try some of these now. Gosh, I wish I still had my old ribbon stash from my paper scrapping days! LOL

Happy Now 07-13-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett (Post 1011549)
Well, you guys are just full of awesome information! I'm anxious to try some of these now. Gosh, I wish I still had my old ribbon stash from my paper scrapping days! LOL

What kind of ribbon would you like, lady? I have TONS!!

Libby Pritchett 07-13-2012 10:56 PM

Awwww I :wub: you, Mary! I'm thinking just some grosgrain in different colors. I don't really know what I want. It's been too long since I've even LOOKED at ribbons LOL

Happy Now 07-13-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett (Post 1011569)
Awwww I :wub: you, Mary! I'm thinking just some grosgrain in different colors. I don't really know what I want. It's been too long since I've even LOOKED at ribbons LOL

Not as much as I :wub: you, dear Libby!

I can make that happen! :)

Libby Pritchett 07-14-2012 01:50 AM

OK, so I'm googling and youtubing, but I have a question... what do you guys do to seal the ends? They've talked about heat sealing... what kind of tool do you use for that? Some people also talked about just using fray check or clear finger nail polish.

Which do you find is best?

purple_colourz 07-14-2012 01:59 AM

This thread made me go to search for tuts in youtube, now I want to try to make some myself (lol).

Libby you have to show us what you made when you're done :)

LenaGardner 07-14-2012 07:31 AM

I've never made that kind of bow, but I'd like to recommend something else from my heavy crafting days. Sta Flo liquid starch...if you soaked it in sta flo before baking they'd be even more stiff :)

LJSDesigns 07-14-2012 07:33 AM

I have no idea what a korker hair bow is. Off to "edumacate" myself!

Libby Pritchett 07-14-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LenaGardner (Post 1011643)
I've never made that kind of bow, but I'd like to recommend something else from my heavy crafting days. Sta Flo liquid starch...if you soaked it in sta flo before baking they'd be even more stiff :)

Oooh good tip, Lena! Does that starch alter the color at all? Wouldn't make it run or anything?