View Single Post
Old 11-14-2023, 11:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I am not an animal person so I have little to no patience with our dog & her various neuroses. It especially drives me crazy when she is frantically barking at someone/something that she can see through the window but she doesn't actually want to go outside and will go hide in her crate anytime you ask her if she needs out. She doesn't seem to like to do anything that other dogs like to do: go outside, play fetch, go on walks, go on car rides, etc. She has finally relented to riding in the car to be taken to the dog park 5 minutes from our house (and she does play with the dogs there) but that's it. I just don't get it.
I have to ask, if you are not an animal person, why have a dog? Animals are pretty sensitive to feelings, so some of her neuroses may be because she can feel your impatience with her, especially if you are the one she is around the most. More than anything, when it comes to training, and dealing on a daily basis with a dog, patience is the key. If you are "high strung" about her, she will be high strung too. Maybe just sit with her for a little bit of time every day, petting her. It will calm her and it may have a positive effect on you and how you relate to her.