Thread: perimenopause?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My sister was medically diagnosed with perimenopause at around age 35. We have a family history of early menopause as well. I'm 40 and have been experiencing symptoms for a couple years (some more severe than others). Since I can't take any hormones at all (and don't want to), I've tried a few different things to treat symptoms. I started with the most severe first - the awful mood swings.

I've had the best luck with chia seed oil to treat mood swings and mild depression. I take 1 1000mg pill once a day because I don't like the texture of the seeds. After about 8 weeks, I barely had mood swings throughout the month when before they were extreme and a bit scary - especially for me. The depression also lifted. I've been taking it daily since June and this month, I haven't had any mood swings, my anxiety is very low, and my PMS symptoms are barely existent (including food cravings).

I read about chasteberry awhile ago, but it can affect estrogen levels in the body - which is likely why your mom doesn't experience symptoms.

My sister had terrible hot/cold flashes as well, but she decided to take hormones to help. I tolerate my hot flashes, but they have become less frequent with the improvement in other areas.

Last edited by catgoddess; 10-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.