View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I moved to Idaho when I was 13 from California. Most of my peers took drivers ed as soon as they turned 14, so some were driving alone on their permits in 8th grade and most of the others in 9th grade. Since we had just come from California where teens didn't drive until 16, my parents made me wait until the summer after I turned 16 to take drivers ed and I got my license right after that. I was definitely one of the oldest in that class. The drivers ed program I taught on stick shift and automatic cars. My first driving experience ever was in the school parking lot in a stick shift - needless to say we never got out of the parking lot that day. My parents wanted me to get my license so I could drive my 2 younger siblings to our school that was 30 minutes from our house. There is still no public transportation where we live, so everyone drives. Can't even imagine someone not having a license... Both my teenagers took drivers ed at 14-1/2 and got their licenses a month before their 16th b-day. They drove for almost a year and half with us on their permits and are good drivers.

Stephanie