View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 12:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My dad is a lapsed Catholic/a C&E (Christmas & Easter churchgoer ) but my mom dutifully took my sister & me to church every Sunday growing up. We went to a very small church and were very involved in all aspects of church life: handbells, VBS, Sunday School, youth group, camp, etc. After my sister graduated from high school, my mom actually took a break from church for a couple of years because she was so burnt out.

I also went to church in college and was involved in Campus Crusade for Christ (like youth group for college kids), Habitat for Humanity, and founded a college-aged Christian retreat program based on one I had participated in in high school.

I bounced around a lot of different churches as an adult. My ex and I never found one that we both liked so we never attended regularly.

My husband and I (and our kids, of course) attend a very large modern nondenominational-esque (it's technically Methodist but you'd never know unless you researched it -- they don't advertise it as such) church. It wouldn't be his first choice (or second or third) but he goes with us most of the time. My kids go to Sunday School (although they don't call it that) while my husband and I are participating in the church service upstairs.

I am also currently serving as the communications chair on the board of directors for the local non-profit whose program I used to found the college retreat. It's not church but it is Christian-based so I go to monthly meetings, help plan events, attend other special functions, etc.

So yeah, I'm pretty churchy!

I usually don't go into great detail abt it because the Christian faith gets a lot of bad press, generally speaking, as super conservative and close-minded when in actuality I'm a super liberal open-minded feminist who is pro-LGBTQIA proefugee pro-Muslim and whose best friend is an agnostic/atheist.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 06-04-2017 at 12:37 PM.