View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes.

I rarely went to church until I was 10, but I was raised with Christian beliefs despite not attending church. When I was 10 I started attending The Salvation Army (non-denominational) and absolutely loved it. I felt so at home there.

After graduating high school we moved to Kansas from Arizona. There was no local Salvation Army close so I attended my uncle's Pentecostal church. He was the minister. I went, but I never really felt comfortable there. Soon, I stopped going completely.

After my husband and I lost out first son, we began going to church with some good friends of ours. Loved the people, but still didn't feel comfortable in the church. We stopped going before our daughter was born and didn't attend church again for many years.

My husband did not grow up going to church or was not really taught any religious beliefs. His family was Catholic but not practicing. He didn't know what he believed and really wasn't that interested in pursuing things. When our children came along, I decided that I would teach them what I had been taught growing up. We sang bible songs and read bible stories together. I taught them in a non-denominational way, based on the bible. My husband was fine with this, but didn't participate much. He prayed with them at bedtime, but that was about it.

When my son was in 2nd grade (so about 4 years ago) his cub scout pack had a special day at the church that hosts them. We attended, of course, as we were scout leaders. My husband suggested we go back the following week. We have been regulars there since. My husband said that I he can tell I am so much happier having found a church home, and his faith has grown by leaps and bounds. Our children attend Sunday School and Youth Group and love it.

It saddens me that there is this perception of Christians being hypocrites and narrow minded, etc. I have met no one like that in my years of attending churches. I've only met loving and nurturing people who embrace and accept everyone. Maybe it is the churches I've been in, or the people I choose to associate with?