View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just wanted to be a mom. Then a teacher told me I *had* to be something, that being a mom didn't count. So I drew from the air and decided I'd be a child psychologist. That seemed kinda close to being a mom. By the time I graduated, I had decided to go into elementary education. Again, kinda like being a mom (so much more than I ever thought, really!). After learning more about the politics of education I changed my mind and switched to a double major in business administration and accounting.

Through all of this, I really felt like I was being drawn towards being an artist in some capacity. I couldn't put my finger on what I wanted to do exactly, but I wanted my job to reflect my passions.

Then I became a mom. I stayed home with my kids from the time I was first pregnant until my youngest started kindergarten. During this time I also found digital scrapbooking and became a designer. I really thought I had found my niche... BUT, when my youngest started kindergarten I was offered a job while at a PTO meeting. One thing led to another and I started with the school district.

I'm now in a position that I LOVE. My official title is technology aide but I do a whole lot more including teaching reading intervention groups and substituting for teachers as needed. I'm also the cashier at lunch time and the yearbook coordinator as well as the box tops person. I do a little bit of everything around there and I love it! I get to be creative. I get to work with kids. I have the same hours/days that my kids do. I also get to work with technology which became an interest of mine along the way. I use a little of everything I have dabbled in over the years while I am at work. It's a pretty good gig... if only it paid more, I'd be set. Thank goodness I'm not working for the money!