View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have 2 green cheek conures (little parrots) that I weaned from tiny nearly featherless babies over 13 years ago. They're my "original babies" as I had them before I even met my husband. :P

I also have 2 rescue kitties... one who is around 15 and we've had him 12 years now. He's a polydactyl Maine Coon named Monster Paws (for said extra toes). He's super chill. I love him to death and I check him multiple times a day to make sure he's breathing too, just like I do my kids!

My other kitty is a 7 year old tabby that we got from a rescue when she was 4 months old. I truly believe in adopting adults however every cat, big or small, I've ever met beats up my Monster Paws so I took a chance on the baby kitten hoping she'd be nice to him and keep him company. Fortunately she did take to him and they love each other to death. She hates all other cats though so 2 is the limit for us even though I'd have a 100 more if I could! I'm definitely a cat person! <3

We just recently lost our beta when it committed suicide by jumping out of its tank. And our 2.5 year old hamster who passed away from old age. We knew she was growing older, greying and slowing down but we were not prepared to say goodbye so soon and are still very sad about losing her. All her supplies/cage/etc are sitting in the garage b/c I can't bear to think about going through that again even though the kids want another one.

This past summer we adopted a dog from the local shelter. That is one I really regret. I am not a dog person but my husband had been wanting one forever and I fell for the "every kid should have a dog", "protector" etc etc thing. It's a very long story but she did not work out for us AT ALL but I couldn't bear to send her back to the shelter. She'd be bounced from house to house or euthanized b/c she nipped my daughter in the face and at other dogs, etc. So we drove her 1100 miles to IL where my parents met us and took her back to WI with them. She's been trouble for them too but they have lots of land, more patience and no little kids around. It was an emotionally and financially exhausting learning experience for us but I'm thankful my mom has a heart as big (bigger!) than mine for animals and Bailey (the dog) has as much of a chance at a happy life there than she would anywhere else!

Phew, that ended up to be a novel! Sorry guys! :P