View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We have one, a little budgie (parakeet) named Kevin. He is adorable. He can talk and kisses, cuddles & loves us. We play with him often and he has been in our family for 5 years now. He is such an easy pet, very little mess and upkeep.

I have regretted a couple pets...

The biggest regret is the puppy we decided to get the kids for Easter one year. It was an over-priced doodle, a Wheaten Poodle mix (they called it a Whoodle). We decided on that breed because my husband is anti-foofoo dogs and didn't want a small dog, or a purebred poodle. I have asthma and allergies, but I have had poodles and they didn't bother me. Well, this puppy was cuter than ever but MUCH bigger than we anticipated when we came back to pick her up at 8 weeks. Since the dad was a poodle and the mom a Wheaten, we didn't know how big she would be but she was big and strong. She was unable to go out in the yard-- even on a leash-- without digging holes and rolling in them. And since she had a poodle coat I was bathing her 2x a day. She also bothered my allergies. Very different from what I expected. I also, sadly not soon enough, realized that we were really too busy for a puppy. She was too much time and effort for that phase of our lives, especially with her personality and traits. It wasn't a match to our dismay. So we returned her to the breeder after 2 weeks. That was so hard and broke our hearts. I deeply regret so many things about that choice.

I also regret buying the kids a betta fish. Cleaning out a tank every week was a pain in the butt and a big chore for such a pet. The kids kind of lost interest after 3 weeks. And, he died after we left him on a short vacation with a vacation food tab thingie (fish die easily... and for so many reasons, since they are so delicate) which was devastating to my sensitive daughter. Once again, we are too busy for a fish and we like taking weekend trips, so I decided not to replace Gilbert when he died.