View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I watched the news briefly on Friday when I started hearing about it on Facebook. My kids are 8 & 9 and we decided to wait a day or so before saying anything to them. To give the police time to find out actual info and tell the media rather than the 24/7 driven news cycle that needs to report something-anything-who-cares-if-it-turns-out-to-be-wrong stuff we were getting on Friday. It just made me so sick to hear about it & then to watch the media feed on it. I couldn't decide if I was angry or sad, crying about what happened & shouting at the news anchors until it was close to the time the kids came home & i turned off the tv

We don't watch the news regularly & it was unlikely it'd get much coverage on ESPN (unlike the whole Jerry Sanduski thing) so we thought we'd have some time to work it out for ourselves. We were both too shocked to know what to say or how to say it & honestly I didn't want to have that conversation until I was sure I wouldn't cry in the middle of it.

Well, that didn't quite work. Turns out both boys heard all about it from friends while playing Minecraft Friday evening but didn't say anything to us until they heard us talking about what we ought to say to them. They seem to be dealing with it ok. I'm kind of anxious about what will happen when they get home today, what their teachers/friends said, what they now think. They've had a limited exposure until this morning, despite Minecraft.

Seriously, I'd rather have again that incredibly awkward conversation about what Jerry Sanduski did to young boys than try to explain about Sandy Hook.

Last edited by Stacey42; 12-17-2012 at 04:18 PM.