View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I'm having a hard time with it too. My son is six so maybe that is why it is hitting me so hard. I have also avoided most of the news stories. I am already so upset by it that I know seeing the families talk about it would only make it worse. I have prayed a lot, cried a lot and been very angry about it. Last night we had a Christmas program at church and one of the songs was "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. It was sung complete with a choir of children (one of whom was mine) and I just wanted to sob because the words were so true and I couldn't help but think of those families who won't have their children with them on Christmas Day or any other day.

My husband and son were at the deer lease this weekend so we haven't told him anything about it, nor do I plan to.
That song is the first thing that popped into my head. The funny thing was that I kept thinking of that 3rd verse all night the night before. It's so hard to see such evil acts. And now, I see so much violence in the world and it makes me so incredibly sad. My kids aren't in school yet, so I luckily haven't been able to watch the 24/7 coverage. The thought of those precious little babies having to witness such horror breaks my heart, and as much as my kids drive me crazy on a daily basis, I've been enjoying it as if it's the last time I will be driven crazy by them.

Some people feel guilty moving on with life while so many families are suffering right now, but I almost feel like I need to move on with life, so that those who wish to instill terror in the lives of all of us will never succeed. My kids (3 and 1.5) don't know about it, so I've just been pushing through. I cry every time I see a flag at half mast, and I cry every time I click on a news story. I feel like it's my way of working through this. As the song says "The wrong shall fail the right prevail with peace on earth, good will to men." If I keep doing good, then he didn't quite succeed, right? If I keep praying for those families, he didn't succeed. If I keep Christmas magical for my kids, then he didn't succeed. If I love and serve others, he didn't succeed. I can't do anything personally for those families, but I can do things personally for my community, and then he hasn't succeeded.