View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My kids are in Middle and High school. Today we received letters from both principals telling us how we should approach our kids about all of it: little to no media, talk with them and be honest if they ask questions, and let them know crisis counseling is available at the school. Otherwise, don't make a big deal about it. They also said the county is reviewing their safety and lock-down procedures. You never thought you'd be at risk being a teacher.

My DD's school had to deal with a violent death of one of their students last year and it really rocked the school community off it's foundation. But they really stepped up to deal with it all.

My kids go to school with a tough population (the kids from the closest thing to the projects that our county has) and the schools really are on top of things in areas such as gangs, substance abuse, domestic violence, etc. Last week DS's school was in lockdown because a kid took a realistic-looking BB gun to school. Stoopid.

Long and short of it - I pray for their safety every day, knowing that they are in God's hands, and that the school, teachers and administrators are doing the best that can possibly be done. I can't worry about it or I'd be a wreck.

But my heart is just broken over what happened. I just can't imagine the grief they are going through right now. They are all in my constant prayers.