View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a toddler, but we'll be heading to the eye doctor soon, so I won't know if she'll be like me as a toddler (yep, with glasses). I remember having metal frames and I loathed them, but then again, that was um oh so like 3 decades ago (*gasps* I'm an artifact LOL), so I'm sure the styles have changed drastically and I can only hope for the better. *giggles* I don't have a clue as to what the styles look like either..not yet, that is. BUT here are some simple/friendly guidelines I came across that make perfect sense.

• Lenses that last. For safety’s sake, choose lenses made of plastic or polycarbonate (a strong, shatterproof, lightweight plastic). The upside is these materials are hard to break, but the downside is they’re prone to scratches — so ask for a protective coating to be applied when you order your toddler’s glasses.
  • Frames that really fit. With all the running, jumping, and falling little ones do, it’s important that toddler glasses stay put and intact. Some make use of elastic straps instead of earpieces to minimize the possibility of breaking that thin piece of plastic or metal. Some frames feature flexible hinges, which enable the specs to take a licking without coming apart at the seams. And look for comfort cables (aka cable temples), which replace earpieces that press against the side of a child’s head with ones that curl around toddler ears, making them extra secure and comfy.
  • Delightful designs. Naturally, comfort and fit are foremost when it comes to frames, but your tot might be more likely to love her specs if you let her have a (little) say about what they look like. There are many different styles of glasses for toddlers: Perhaps she can choose the frame color or lens shape, or at the very least, get her the glasses case she has her toddler eye on.