View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Best reads of 2013!

I always like to go back over the year and pick my faves..

In no particular order

City of Women

Oh this book! I have been reading a lot of WW2 era books recently. This one was beautiful and unique since it dealt more with the German point of view during the war.

The Heretic's Daughter

A very moving account of Martha Carrier - the first woman tried and hung during the Salem Witch trials. Loved it! (plus there's a prequel)

The First Man in Rome (and really the entire Masters of Rome Series)

These books are tomes. But I loved every single word. The first two books deal with pre-Imperial Rome..a time that you don't hear much about since most books are about the infamous Emperors of Rome.

The Painted Girls

Set in Paris in 1878 - two girls, aspiring ballerinas, must shift for themselves after their father dies and leaves them with a drug addicted mother. The youngest finds work modeling for Edgar Degas...and is supposedly his inspiration for his famous work - Little Dancer, Aged 14.

Fever, 1793

In the late summer of 1793 the city of Philadelphia is struck by a yellow fever epidemic that will kill over 5000 people between the months of August and November. This book is told through the eyes of a 16 year old survivor. Very gripping read..I read it in nearly one sitting.

And if I had to pick my top pick of the year it would have to be this one...

6. The Thirteenth Tale

I LOVED this book..it's one of those that I kept meaning to read and just never got around to it..and then of course once I started it I was like "why in the world haven't I read this before now??" Wonderful plot, interesting characters, excellent writing..and it's a book about books! What more can you ask for?? Loved loved loved it.

So what were your best reads of the year?

Last edited by nikkiARNGwife; 12-31-2013 at 01:20 PM.