View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This may just be me, but did the end feel really rushed to anyone else? I mean, there were all these details leading up to the imprisonment, but everything after that was rather hurried and skipped over. I felt that I had invested all this time into the book and then was left wanting.

I think it was a good book. It was interesting to see a fictionalized version of the French Revolution. I tend to forget how horrible humanity has been in the past, especially when freedom is at stake. I think her family was smart to see themselves as survivalists, because it allowed them to adapt to the political turmoil going on in their country.

As for her being allowed so much "freedom," I think we forget that she was a showwoman, not a lady. The lower classes gave their women more freedom than the upper classes did. Actors, merchants and lowly commoners weren't held to the same standards as nobles and those wishing they were nobles. We read a lot of books from this era that tell us what a lady can and cannot do, but it's never what her maid or her milliner can and cannot do.