View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I wrote on Goodreads:

I loved this book. Some reviews said the characters were shallow and unlikeable and that the ending was disappointing, but I really liked that the characters were flawed, sometimes admittedly irritating but still they seemed alive to me. The ending was unexpected, but the coda afterwards made a lot of sense. Loved the dry humour combined with a sense of melancholy; the dialogues and inner thoughts of characters were a joy to read. After having read through a bunch of "light reading" in the summer I have to say this is the only one I feel I can reead one day. For some reason men seem to write better love fiction than women (see Nick Hornby). :-)

I might add that while some reviews were annoyed by the fact that both Emma and Dexter seemed to be whiny and not learning from their mistakes from time to time, this was what made them dear to me. People normally take ages to learn from their own mistakes, so it felt pretty believable. I don't like perfect people some books tend to be about, so I loved these two. The post-modern take was rather appealing, too, if you ask me.

The ending where you realise that both of them wanted to be together from the very start and what stood in the way was miscommunication and the reluctance to "lose face" and say the truth was so much like real life that I felt deeply content about the ending despite its sadness (for some reason, I didn't feel manipulated by one character's death even though loads of readers did, judging from reviews).

Last edited by adrianka; 10-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.