View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What do you do on Christmas Day?

For the first time in 20 years, we will actually be home for Christmas Day. We have always gone to my husband's parent's house on Christmas Day. They are completely unyielding in that Christmas Day is at their house -- won't celebrate it the weekend before or after, won't have it anywhere else. It is at their house, on Dec. 25. My kids are now 16, 14 and 10 and they are begging for a Christmas morning at home. I have convinced my husband that we don't have to go to his parents just because they pout and lay on the guilt trip if we don't go. My own parents spend every single Christmas Day alone.

So enough about my irritating in-laws. The point of this is that we will actually be home on Christmas Day. What do you do? We usually spend a huge portion of the day in our vehicle, get out long enough to eat dinner and open gifts (which at this point is envelopes with money in them) and then get back in the vehicle. I don't even know what to do with the whole day at home.

I'm thinking we'll buy the upcoming DVD releases (ATeam, Despicable Me, Shrek) and watch them that day. Football will be on as well.

Food? I'm not set on a traditional holiday dinner, and in fact would like to not spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I'm considering homemade pizza or soup. Other suggestions to make the day special?