View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:58 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
I need the spelling of a word.. my grandmother was a full fledged french canadian lady.. she and my grandfather spoke their slangy french all the time and therefore some of the words are part of my regular vocabulary..

i can not find a spelling for what we called slippers. it sounds sorta like poupons - i know that poupon means bebe in regular french-- it's possible this is the spelling of the word we used but i am not sure.

Thank you kindly :]
is

I know this is old but my whole family also called knitted slipper poupons. I'm from a big french community in Connecticut but we lost most of our french. That part of the family I was told were all from Montreal and Sainte Marie though I have dig up surveys suggesting some other members might have lived further north near the west Quebec border and others in Quebec City. It might be a slang word not used since the early 1900s in or near Montreal
would be my best guess. They did have a habit of slurring english and French words together to make new meanings as well so that cpuld be a factor. Every baby for instance is "La petite bibits" but it sounds almost like "pretty".