View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Teenage friendships

My oldest is about to start high school. He's an introvert and a homebody, which I get because I'm the same way. He has some casual friends at school, but he never gets together with them or contacts them outside of school hours. He'd rather spend his time reading, playing video games, and being with the family.

He and his long-time best friend went to different middle schools, and I found out today that the friend's plans changed and he won't be transferring to Jason's high school. They've been able to stay friends because we moms are in the habit of making plans for them to get together--if we stopped, I think they'd drift apart and lose touch without meaning to.

Any suggestions for helping him care enough to develop stronger friendships? I have no problem with the idea that he's a kid who will have a few close friends rather than a big circle, but he does need to have a few people. He doesn't have any special needs or social skill deficits that would make it hard for him to make and keep friends. I don't know whether I should back off and it will happen on its own or whether he's going to end up isolating himself if I don't step in somehow.