View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. Who was your favorite character? Why?
I loved Minnie because she was so awesome. She reminded me of a friend my parents had in Arkansas named Jessie. Jessie was also black and very outspoken like Minnie. Plus, I thought Minnie's act of revenge on Hilly was epic!! ROFL

2. What do you think motivated Hilly? On the one hand she is terribly cruel to Aibileen and her own help, as well as to Skeeter once she realizes that she can’t control her. Yet she’s a wonderful mother. Do you think that one can be a good mother but, at the same time, a deeply flawed person?
I think Hilly is a power driven, socialite that thinks more of her social standing in the community than anything else. If she can't control you, then she'll do what she can to bring you down. I certainly think it's possible to be a good mother and have the same flaws. My step-grandpa was highly racist. He was a member of the KKK. But, when my parents laid down the law with him and told him that he was NOT to put those ideas in our heads or even to discuss it, he was a good grandpa. He respected my parents, and the issue of race was never mentioned again, after my incident with Mimi that I mentioned in an earlier post.

3. Like Hilly, Skeeter’s mother is a prime example of someone deeply flawed yet somewhat sympathetic. She seems to care for Skeeter— and she also seems to have very real feelings for Constantine. Yet the ultimatum she gives to Constantine is untenable; and most of her interaction with Skeeter is critical. Do you think Skeeter’s mother is a sympathetic or unsympathetic character? Why?
I think Skeeter's mother is more concerned with her social standing than anything else. I think she genuinely cared for Constantine, but when Lulabelle started threatening her status in front of the DAR ladies, she did what she had to do to get rid of the problem. Also, southern women at that time were very concerned about their daughters marrying right and having a good social standing. Skeeter was pretty much considered an old maid because she was 23 and not married.

4. How much of a person’s character would you say is shaped by the times in which they live? Oh, I think a lot of it is. If you see it in everyday life, you're going to begin to acclimate to it and think it's normal.

5. Did it bother you that Skeeter is willing to overlook so many of Stuart’s faults so that she can get married, and that it’s not until he literally gets up and walks away that the engagement falls apart?
No, I think Skeeter was looking past his faults because she was conditioned to think that for her to have any value as an adult in her 20s that she needed to married and have children. My grandma was taught that, and married my grandfather. She was miserable the entire time in their marriage and left him after four years. It wasn't because my biological grandpa was a bad man, it was because she was taught that you get married and have kids, and that wasn't what she wanted to do with her life.

6. Do you believe that Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?
Definitely! She had been mistreated before and she built a guard around herself to protect herself from it. Plus, look how the black people were being treated back then.

7. Do you think that had Aibileen stayed working for Miss Elizabeth, that Mae Mobley would have grown up to be racist like her mother? Do you think racism is inherent, or taught?
I don't think Mae Mobley would have been racist at all. She was already exhibiting signs that it didn't matter to her. I think racism is taught. Even though my parents sheltered us from it, and didn't allow it when my grandparents were around, I knew they were racists and I certainly could have been a racist growing up around them. My grandparents were highly racist and for the most part, respected my parents wishes, but there were times a racial slur would slip out when we were around. My grandpa was in the KKK and my grandma always called them the N word and she even went as far as to say that were responsible for AIDS. But, my mother was her daughter, and my mother didn't raise us to think that way at all. She taught us to respect all people and that there was good in everyone.

8. From the perspective of a twenty-first century reader, the hairshellac system that Skeeter undergoes seems ludicrous. Yet women still alter their looks in rather peculiar ways as the definition of “beauty” changes with the times. Looking back on your past, what’s the most ridiculous beauty regimen you ever underwent?
Actually, I never got into the fad stuff. The raciest thing I've done is have my hair highlighted.

9. The author manages to paint Aibileen with a quiet grace and an aura of wisdom about her. How do you think she does this?
I think she is drawing from her own experience. She says at the end that she had a maid when she was growing up. I think she based Aibileen on her.

10. Do you think there are still vestiges of racism in relationships where people of color work for people who are white?
Oh definitely!

11. What did you think about Minny’s pie for Miss Hilly? Would you have gone as far as Minny did for revenge?
OMGosh! I died laughing at that!! I would definitely not have gone that far, but I think it was classic.