Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default thinking of starting a blog...

I know almost everyone here has one, and you're all so helpful! Can you tell me the best place to start? I know nothing about blogs, I don't even know which one to use. I want easy peasy...lol. Right now it'd just mostly be for me, to just put day to day stuff down, post my p365 pics, and stuff like that. I want to be able to design my own header, or whatever it's called... Can you girls tell me what you like and don't like about the blogs you have?

Can't you have blogs made into little booklet things too? That's part of what interests me.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I blog with WordPress, which is pretty common. I use what is called the "self-hosted" version, meaning I have my own domain name and I pay for hosting. This version means I can pretty much do what I want with it.

If you're super eager, this version of WordPress is what I would recommend. There are TONS of tutorials on the web. (I don't recommend blogs hosted on wordpress.com)

If you're not that into figuring out how it all works and just want to get started, I would got for a Blogger (blogspot.com) blog. They are probably the easiest to set up.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used typepad, you have to pay for it, but I love it. Super easy. I think blogger is so much easier now to customize, but it wasn't when I started blogging back in 2006.

I don't mind paying for mine because it keeps my mom updated and she's far away.

And yes, you can turn it into a book, blurb I think is the name of the company. Not 100% on that though.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love Wordpress, but it is not easy to customize if you're not familiar with css and stuff. I'd definitely recommend blogger for beginners.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, I'm a Wordpress user and love it, but you need to have knowledge of some stuff to customize it the way you want it. Blogger is pretty easy and there are tons of nice free themes out there!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I am code stupid and I'd rather not pay for a blog. I use blogger and haven't had an issue ever.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to agree with Vanessa that I love typepad! It's the most user -friendly in my opinion and you don't need ANY html knowledge to really make it what you want, but like she said, it is a pay site.

I currently use blogger and I think it's easy enough once you really get in and mess around with it. I started simple with one of Zoe's blog-in-a-box thigs, which gives you ALL the coding you need and great instructions to get you started!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Lots of good points here about Typepad. Easy to customize and very attractive themes come included. I'd consider it a good happy medium between Blogger and WordPress.. not sure why I didn't think of it right away!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the tips girls! I'm actually getting excited just thinking about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
I am code stupid and I'd rather not pay for a blog.
lol, that'd be me! Dh is good at codes and computer stuff like that, but he's never messed with blogs and such, not sure if he could figure that stuff out for me or not. I'm thinking I'll definately start with a free one. See how good I am at keeping up with it and such. I'm gonna have to check out one of the daily blog threads, and see what all of you girls' blogs look like!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have used blogger for a long while and love it.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have tried Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr, and Xanga. I have more of a photoblog on Shutterfly. I like some of the other platforms, but Blogger has remained the easiest to manage and definitely the easiest to decorate-with extremely little HTML knowledge. If you can handle decorating your Sweet Shoppe signature, you can do this!

Below, the RSS feed, is my blogger page. There is a link to a really helpful background/banner blog on my page that can help you decorate your site quickly if you wish.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I've been with Blogger for years. It's very customizeable with it's easy to use interface & there are tons of tutorials out there to tweek the XML to get you look. I have a custom blog now on blogger than I created myself just from doing tutorials to get the look I want. I also have my own domain name now. The only problem I have with Blogger is that they don't make it easy to reply to comments within the comment page but there are 3rd party plug ins for that
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also use blogger because it was easy to set up and free. I have since customized the look of mine completely though with help from tutorials out on the web.

You can see my blog at http://3bubbas.blogspot.com

Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would def. recommend blogger for beginners. It's easy peasy! I have a wordpress one where I own the domain and I also just have a free blogger one. I can't do anything on my WP one and I have a friend do it all for me, lol
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the tips girls!! This is gonna be my weekend project, messing around and getting this started! lol, I may be back with more specific questions.... But I'm definately gonna check out all your blogs and links!!