Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Question (Way OT) Those who have kids with milk allergies...

How did you notice that they had one? My youngest broke out in a huge rash on her tummy the first time we gave her yogurt, and her doctor said to wait 6 weeks and try again. So we did and the same thing happened. Her doctor then told us to try a soy based yogurt, so we did, and still the same reaction. Yogurt is the only experience she's had with milk so I'm wondering if maybe the rash wasn't caused by that since the soy yogurt caused it also. Her doctor wants her on an only formula diet until it clears up again then to reintroduce her to solids again slowly. But both the yogurts are the only thing to ever cause this rash. So I was wondering if those of you who have kids with a milk allergy ever had problems with soy yogurt too?

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

was she FF before? I'm just curious because you said she's neevr been exposed to milk- but the dr wants her on a formula only diet now.

anyway.. she could be allergic to both soy and dairy.. it happens. how old is she though? it may just be her body isn't ready for yogurt.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

most kids who have a dairy allergy also have a soy allergy. Mine were just fussy babies and reflux-y until I took dairy out of my diet (nursing) and then they were sweet angels. Neither of them ever got a rash when I introduced yogurt or anything like that though, it was just major reflux and super fussy, but they both grew out of it by around 12-13 months and now eat cheese like there is some kind of shortage or something, lol. I still try to limit it though because they still can be pretty cranky if they have too much. Hope you're able to figure it out. :hug:
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

She's on formula, but a soy one just because its the kind we've always used when they are under 1. She's about to be 1 and her doctor suggested to introduce her in small doses with yogurt to introduce her to dairy. (The same as he suggested for both of my boys - who did fine with it.)

Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

there may be "casein" in the soy yogurt... dairy consists of more than just cow milk and there are lots of hidden ingredients that are considered dairy. I would look at the ingredients.

Here's a list of things to look for:
http://www.godairyfree.org/Food-to-E...ient-List.html
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine actually had a severe reaction to milk, restricted airway. But she was not allergic to soy. We ate a ton of soy products for 4 years. Then she outgrew her milk allergy.

Good Luck honey. I know these things can be very hard to cope with and understand.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dd reacts to both soy and milk proteins. With the milk, she had a constant runny nose and congestion until I cut it out of my diet (she was nursing when we found it). With soy, it messes with her digestive system. What brands of yogurt were you giving her? It could be something else in them. Good luck, figuring out what they react to is really challenging.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

You can also try sheep's milk or goat's milk yogurts. They don't contain the same proteins that give people trouble.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

JP was allergic to both cow dairy (not goat, he did ok with that) and soy. His biggest symptoms were his bowel movements and the rash he'd get from it. AWFUL.

Honestly, if she's under a year, a formula diet is perfectly acceptable. I'd be wary of the soy formula though. We did that to JP after we figured out the milk allergy. He (and we) suffered through his horrid BMs and rashes for nearly a year until we figured that allergy out too. As soon as he went to goat milk--no problems. He started gaining weight, no more rashes, normal BMs. It was just this massive aha moment, yk? He has since outgrown both allergies.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The first time was Dannon and the second was YoBaby both time with pear since its something she had never had a problem with before.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Was it flavored? One of mine had strawberry sensitivity until he was older. He would also break out in a rash.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am almost positive there are milk proteins in the yobaby soy yogurt because I remember looking at it and getting mad, because what's the point of soy yogurt if it's not free of milk proteins?! I think the probiotics are cultured on milk. Pointless for those with milk allergies.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My bff's son was just diagnosed with this. He had what they thought was ezcema basically all winter around his mouth and he's been all stopped up, more than likely due to the allergy. I know the allergist told her to try soy milk but that a lot of kids with a milk allergy are also allergic to soy so they might have to use rice milk. He never broke out around his belly.

My ds has had some reactions to a couple of foods, but has tested negative each time. Both of the times he had reactions he immediately broke out into hives on his face, but his airway never closed up. Benadryl has taken care of his each time and we now just keep him away from these foods and keep benadryl with us at all times.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

neither yobaby or dannon are soy. However, stonyfield (who makes yobaby) has an o soy- and that has milk in it. So if that's what you fed her.. Then that's the culprit.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

the dannon was the first yogurt she tried. and now that you all mentioned it I checked the yobaby and yup its milk. I could have sworn the lady at the grocery store said it was soy (it was with all the other soy products). So I guess we'll try another.

The yogurt makes her break out in a type of really sore lloking pimply rash around her mouth, and makes her stomache red, and sort of rough feeling with little pimple things. I have a picture of her face and I'll try to get one of her tummy. The tummy looks like an extremely bad case of ezcema, but isn't.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana1n View Post
I am almost positive there are milk proteins in the yobaby soy yogurt because I remember looking at it and getting mad, because what's the point of soy yogurt if it's not free of milk proteins?! I think the probiotics are cultured on milk. Pointless for those with milk allergies.
As a mom of a kiddo with food allergies I feel your pain, but did want to point out that lactose intolerant (different than milk allergy of course) can eat the o'soy yogurt, so that is more who it is for. DH is lactose intolerant and cannot eat regular yogurt, but can eat that. So yeah...not good for milk protein allergies, but there is a reason.

It really does seem like she should stay on formula with fruits and veggies that she has handled well, and stay away from the common offenders (strawberries is one that I know of) then she will probably outgrow it. Sometimes I think their systems are just overwhelmed by the foods and after they have time to mature, they can handle them better (without overreacting). Hugs, it is a hard road to tread sometimes making the right decisions for our kiddos, and often frustrating. But they are oh so worth it!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
As a mom of a kiddo with food allergies I feel your pain, but did want to point out that lactose intolerant (different than milk allergy of course) can eat the o'soy yogurt, so that is more who it is for. DH is lactose intolerant and cannot eat regular yogurt, but can eat that. So yeah...not good for milk protein allergies, but there is a reason.
oh, hey! that makes sense. i'm actually either lactose intolerant or sensitive to milk proteins but since i had to give dairy up 3 years ago, i didn't even think about that. thanks for pointing it out.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yep, my son (2.5) has always had this exact reaction to both cow and soy proteins, and his allergy was so severe as a baby that he couldn't handle milk proteins of any kind, including breast milk. He was put on an amino acid based formula, and still drinks it now because he still can't have the lactose in milk (although he's outgrown the severe reaction and can have hard cheeses within limits). He still can't handle soy, either. He also had an allergy to anything orange (carrots, sweet potatoes, etc), anything purple (blueberries, eggplant) and strawberries, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others! Anyway my point is that I feel your pain, LOL!

It definitely is some sort of food reaction, and if both yogurts were dairy I would say that's the problem. If she's always handled soy formula then you're probably good to go with that. Do you have a Trader Joe's where you live? There are tons of good 'alternative' foods there, like soy based cheeses, etc.

::Also creating for::
The Artisan Notebook, The Lilypad, Shabby Pickle Designs, MScraps, Polly & Rufus, Joyce Paul, Busy Bee Designs and Tiny Toes Designs