Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Spring Cleaning?

So has anyone else jumped in to Spring Cleaning at their house? I'm so not an organized housekeeper nor do I even like to clean my house...but this time of year I always feel compelled to clean things out and redecorate.

I'm restyling my family room bookcases
I washed the drapes in the family room over the weekend and plan to iron today so DH can help me hang them tonight
I cleaned out half of my huge pantry and re-organized the non-food side (a couple big boxes ready to go to Goodwill now!)

I still want to do a few things in the master bedroom and bathroom to clean it up and maybe (Finally - we've only lived her 6.5 years) hang some pictures down the stairs.

So what are everyone else's spring cleaning projects??
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I didn't intend to do "spring cleaning" but this weekend I got fed up with the rubbermaid totes and laundry baskets in my room, so I seriously cleaned my room. On my "to do list" is getting the rest of the summer clothes out of storage, wash and sort them, and then get the winter clothes which are currently in stacks on my kids' dressers into them and back in storage. Sounds fun, eh? I have 4 girls so there is no way I can keep all seasons clothes in our little apartment at once, haha!

I've got one room down a day to attempt to do a thorough cleaning of. Too many toys and "baby" things lying around. My littlest is 2.5, I think it's ok to get rid of some baby toys, seeing as she prefers legos and barbies so "her" stuff is just wasting space. Sigh.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't do spring cleaning per se, but I de-winterize. We still have some snow on the ground but it was 65 yesterday so it's melting fast. I have a fairly large screened in porch so yesterday I took the heavy plastic down and swept. I got the furniture out of the garage and back on the porch (after washing it down of course!) Winter hats/gloves, coats, boots, ski gear etc, has all been put in the garage in their proper totes.

As far as inside, I do things like curtains and walls throughout the year so I don't always feel it necessary to do in the spring; it just depends on when the last time it was done (I usually do it about 4 times a year). Yesterday I did wash a few of my blankets/quilts that are used as throws throughout the winter to keep warm while watching TV or as extras at night on top of the beds. They just get stored in my laundry shelves because we use them year round for different things. I haven't taken the winter comforters off yet because it's still going to be down in the 20s tonight

As far as the kitchen goes, I'm crazy anal about my kitchen so it gets "deep cleaned" at least monthly and the cupboards are ruthlessly organized at all times (just ask my DD - it drives me nuts one something gets put in the wrong place!)

I'll have a lot of spring cleaning OUTSIDE once the snow melts. We had a LOT of wind this winter so there'll be a lot of branch cleanup. Hosing down the driveway to get rid of all the salt and dirt is in order also. The gardens will need to be cleaned up and I have some sashing that came off my garage that needs to be replaced too.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not really 'spring cleaning', but we have these dumb house inspections here and we have one tomorrow, so I've been cleaning like crazy. Can't wait for it to be done - LAST ONE EVER!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a fan of the cleaning and things get cluttered around here so fast after I clean I just can't keep up. I am either one extreme or the other.... I like being organized.... I LOVE to organize more than anything, but at the same time if a mess occurs I just let it go because I don't know what to do with it.

I have been in cleaning mode the past couple of days... not so much because it's "Spring Cleaning" time though. After a week not feeling well and in bed the guys really let things go so I'm trying to make things livable again, but we will be moving sometime before summer so I am trying to get a jump start on the decluttering and get in the purging mode to make that easier when the time comes.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've been doing a huge cleaning at my family house...old bookcases, unused clothes etc have been cleared. It feels so good! We're still working on our kitchen, hopefully will be done by the end of the week.

The problem with my room is I'm sharing it with a messy younger sister...I hope she can see the benefits of living in an organized, clutter-free place.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirahzakaria View Post
The problem with my room is I'm sharing it with a messy younger sister...I hope she can see the benefits of living in an organized, clutter-free place.
Good luck with that! LOL - I grew up living with a sister who thought the floor was the perfect place for everything I think it's because of her that I'm such the opposite; the more she cluttered the more I cleaned! Sadly, she is still a total slob today and it's the only bone of contention between us - just standing in her house makes me want to hyperventilate
Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After my big cooking session I tore apart my kitchen. Rearranged some appliances, washed all the counters, cupboards, and floors. Now it feels lovely in there!

One big thing I've been doing a little at a time since the holidays is to clean out the closets. Always seems like we are overrun with kids clothes, toys, etc... I've done most of them now, but still want to tackle a couple more cupboards in the kitchen.

My DH does 'spring' cleaning in bits throughout the year. He has tasks organized by month. This month my DH cleaned all the light fixtures and is spraying the 'Borax' ant solution outside.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really do "spring cleaning" but after the winter holidays I tend to do some extra deep cleaning and organizing projects and start to plan some household to dos.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm feeling like I really really want to clean and organize, but havent made it to anything yet LOL! I think I am going to start with our bookshelves and school books area..... Then move on to the kitchen or bedroom. My closet needs cleaned out soooo desperately! :/
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm tired just looking at some of your lists! No huge projects planned here, though I've got a long list of smaller ones. For the first time in months there are 2 days in a row that the kids are at school and I don't have to work. I've gotten behind on some of the normal stuff like laundry, so I'm spending today catching up on routine cleaning and organizing. Yesterday I tackled my desk, even emptying out all the drawers. Bathrooms and kitchen cleaning are on the list, too. We really need to do a toy clean out, but the kids have to help with that. The want-to-do list is always longer than the motivation!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have really been getting the spring cleaning fever. After being shut up all winter I love to open the windows up and revive the house. I follow a blog called idream of clean. She has a fabulous check list here:

http://www.idreamofclean.net/the-ult...ing-checklist/
Old 04-14-2015, 05:09 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Goodness. I never have the urge to clean. I wish I did get that urge every now and then. My house and my family would thank me.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
Goodness. I never have the urge to clean. I wish I did get that urge every now and then. My house and my family would thank me.
I get the urge to organize sometimes, but never to clean. When I clean, it's almost always because I've let it go too long and it really needs to be done.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
After my big cooking session I tore apart my kitchen. Rearranged some appliances, washed all the counters, cupboards, and floors. Now it feels lovely in there!

One big thing I've been doing a little at a time since the holidays is to clean out the closets. Always seems like we are overrun with kids clothes, toys, etc... I've done most of them now, but still want to tackle a couple more cupboards in the kitchen.

My DH does 'spring' cleaning in bits throughout the year. He has tasks organized by month. This month my DH cleaned all the light fixtures and is spraying the 'Borax' ant solution outside.
Kristi - I wish we had a monthly list of things to do. I was thinking about creating something like that for myself. That way I could tackle one big project a month and then a few smaller maintenance type things as well. My husband isn't great about doing jobs around the house, but I bet if we had a list it would get done. Great idea!!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Bonneville View Post
I have really been getting the spring cleaning fever. After being shut up all winter I love to open the windows up and revive the house. I follow a blog called idream of clean. She has a fabulous check list here:

http://www.idreamofclean.net/the-ult...ing-checklist/
I starting reading that list and it made me want to cry. Maybe I should have said organizing instead of cleaning. LOL! Wonder what it would cost me to have my kids do a bunch of deep cleaning for me??? Hmmm...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
I starting reading that list and it made me want to cry. Maybe I should have said organizing instead of cleaning. LOL! Wonder what it would cost me to have my kids do a bunch of deep cleaning for me??? Hmmm...
LOL! I think bringing the kids on would be a great idea. My kids have their set chores that they don't get paid for because it is more like their contribution to the household and learning responsibility type thing. But extra jobs like these can totally be a hey do this and earn this (money, extra game time, movie night out etc.)
Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Spring cleaning... yes! and organizing and de-junking and redecorating a la Pinterest style.

So far I've done each of the kids' rooms, the kitchen, part of the living room, part of my room, part of both bathrooms...today I'm tackling a huge stack of papers/mail, general houseclean, and more in my room.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My goal is to find a housekeeper to come in 1-2x per month. My only excuse has been I simply haven't had the time to find someone reputable. As far as decluttering, I go in spurts where I will do that. I don't really have any "big" projects looming at the moment.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're moving next month so I feel like I should really get started purging and organizing stuff but ugh, I so can't get excited about doing it.