Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default A whole chicken - what's your favorite recipe?

I am defrosting a whole chicken to cook for dinner tonight since I'm working from my home office today (I so love this new job!). My family thinks roast chicken is kind of blah. I need some new ideas on what to put on it or how to cook it so it's different.

I usually put the chicken in a roasting pan - throw some onions and celery in the cavity and then put potatoes and carrots around - sprinkle with Chicken Montreal seasoning and put some up under the skin as well and then bake.

What do you ladies do that your familes like? We're out of gas for the grill so that isn't an option but anything in the oven or crock pot is fair game.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've tried this recipe once before (we don't do whole chickens very often): Simple Whole Roasted Chicken. It's sooo good. The unusual blend of spices are so yummy. And I think the key is roasting it breast side down (on a rack) to keep it moist and flavorful. You can put veggies in the bottom of the pan, too, if you like to roast them with the chicken.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

how about a homemade chicken soup?

through the chicken in a soup pot and cover with water (bring the water a full inch over the chicken). Let it boil for about 20 minutes and skim off the fat that comes up...sometimes I deskin before hand which make there be less fat up top.

Then add in a whole peeled onion, chopped celery, carrots, parsnips and turnips and dill. Salt and let simmer for two to three hours.

Then just remove the chicken, pull off the bone and shred back into the soup. YUM!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my hubby's favorite is take lawery's season salt, put it all around and inside it... and then in the crockpot... tastes just like a a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store..

Here is another favorite... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-s...isserie-style/

Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
my hubby's favorite is take lawery's season salt, put it all around and inside it... and then in the crockpot... tastes just like a a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store..

Here is another favorite... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-s...isserie-style/

That sticky chicken looks really good Rebecca! Thanks for the recipe. Still not decided but I'm leaning towards sticky chicken.