Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I need ideas....

My daughter is currently at Basic Training for the USAF. She is just starting Week 4 and has 4 weeks left. Well, I write to her everyday and she gets lots of mail from the rest of her family too.

BUT......there are several girls who get little to NO mail. Sadly, some girls even ask her if they can open one of her letters just to have something to open! Breaks my heart!!! I have asked her for names of some of these girls so that I could "adopt" them for the next 4 weeks. She sent me the names of 5 girls (2 of which need alot of encouragement).

So, my question is, what can should/could I send these girls? I can't send care packages so, it all has to be letters.

Some of the things I send my daughter are: printings of hers and my facebook wall, a quote of the day in every letter, questionnaires, photos we have taken since she left and then in her letters I tell her about what is going on and how my day was the day before.

Of those things....I can send the girls motivational quotes and the generic questionnaires I know. But, I want to have more ideas than that....I have 4 weeks and would like to send each of them something at least 3x a week.
Any ideas on what I can talk to them about, more things I can print off and send, etc?

Any suggestions are appreciated. You girls always come up with great ideas.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Lots of hybrid cards with SSD products.

You have a lot of great ideas.

If you knew where they were from, maybe you could send some headlines from their local papers? Their horoscopes? Some cute journal prompt ideas for them to write about their experiences?

Hmmm... I'm not very good at this. I'm sure others will have amazing ideas.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nee Nee you are such an amazing woman! I have to say that first.... as for ideas, what about some tips on goal setting, ideas for starting a journal (maybe these girls don't really have one), or journal prompts that make them think about what a wonderful thing they are doing not only for themselves, but for their country?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

And... if you need help, I'd be happy to help out. I could forward some stuff or make a couple of little fun pages or write up a couple of random emails if you think it would help.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

That is so amazing of you! I think you should write a soap opera saga and have it continue over the 4 week period...LOL.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First, is there any way I can send any of them mail? I'd be happy to write to any of them... that might help lighten your load of wondering what to send.

If not, totally understand!!! I just thought I'd offer.

As for what you can send... photos of your area. I second the horoscopes. Fun facts.
Have you ever read Cracked.com? They have some really funny articles. Some have adult content, but they always have really random fun info... that might be fun!

You could ask them various questions about themselves, their hometown, etc. Hybrid cards would be fun, and have less that you have to write in them-- sometimes just getting SOMETHING, even if it's very little, is a huge help.

What about word puzzles? Sudoku? Crosswords? Those will print on flat paper just like a letter, but might give them something to do!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's wonderful of you to want to "adopt" them. You could put out a call here for us to make and send you cards, then you could forward them along. I bet lots of us would be willing to help.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, if any of you are willing to help.....I would very much appreciate it. The girls have beast week in 2 weeks which is where they live in tents and basically at "war". I would love for them to have some "love" before then. If anyone wants to help me, please send me a PM and I will give you the information. I just don't want to post their names publicly.

I appreciate the suggestions. It will help me very much. You girls are awesome!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would be willing to write them. Im not sure what to say either exactly. I guess it'd be kinda like a penpal situation which I have done years ago online with people in the military. I signed up on a website which paired you up with military members who didnt have anyone to write to.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to say a joke or funny story. I know that's kind of difficult because what is funny to one person isn't always funny to another. But then a joke might brighten their day?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tomorrow I am sending all 5 girls a questionnaire like I sent my DD last week (just changing a few things to make it more generic), a weekly horoscope, a Wordsearch, a motivational quote and a quick note to introduce myself.

I have had 2 girls who fabulously offered to completely adopt 2 of the girls who are needing the most encouragement. I can handle the other 3 I think but, if anyone is willing to send any little something at any time (you don't have to commit to doing it always) just send me a PM and I will send you their address.

I bet they would love getting just random notes thanking them for what they are going through in order to serve our country. They have it pretty rough and in 2 weeks they go through "beast" week where they are treated like deployed soldiers at war (living out of tents, etc.).

Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

NeeNee after 20 years of service, LOTS of encouragement woudl be the best thing you could send those girls..let them know they aren't alone and lots of people are "very proud" of what they have chosen to do. It is a hard choice to leave all your friends and family and join the military, but they will make WONDERFUL new friends and have the biggest "extended" family that they van imagine! I would like to write to a couple of them if you don't mind sendign me their address...I can't do 3x a week, but I would love to drop them a note or two when I can
Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Postcards and greeting cards. I got a motivational card from my brother and one from my great aunt while I was there. Loved those the most. Its just being able to open something, that's all. Mail is so important in basic. As someone who has gone through AF basic, I would be willing to send some mail, too, if you need help, Neenee.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
in 2 weeks they go through "beast" week where they are treated like deployed soldiers at war (living out of tents, etc.).
How funny, we used to call it Warrior Week. Things change so much.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What about some inspirational magazine articles you copy? I'm sure they are dying for something good to read.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't commit to adopting them or sending anything ongoing, but I'll send a card to anyone you give me the address for.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
What about some inspirational magazine articles you copy? I'm sure they are dying for something good to read.
You only actually get 5 minutes of 'free time' a day, so no time to actually read anything.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What if we did a thread (or even used this one) to let them know why we ... everyday people ... appreciate them? I am sure we all have moments that we stop and think how grateful we are to live in the USA. We could post our moments and let them know we are thinking/praying for our troops? Then you could send those thoughts to them as well?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's wonderful of you!

When my cousin was in the Marines my aunt did a similar thing with some guys in his group who had no one who wrote them. Basically she did it more as a pen-pals type thing. She really got to know them and is still in touch with them.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm....that is a great idea Heidi! I usually print off my Facebook wall and DD's Facebook wall for her to read. What if I created a group like Traci did for Flat Stanley and then you all can post on that wall words of encouragement, etc. and I can print that off for these girls? Would any of you be willing to do that?