Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Angry Easter bunnies!?! Aaaah!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Right now I feel more like crying. I'm not a happy girl.... so not a happy girl.

My daughter was doing her chores and went in to tend to the big bunnies and this is what she discovered. Seven. Brand new. Appear to just be a few hours old. That makes 11 bunnies in our house right now. We first discovered mama bunny was female when she delivered a litter of 10 stillborn bunnies. We thought she was male before that. We kept male and female separated and in completely different rooms for quite a while. The kids let them have a play date. In September she delivered a litter of 7. We kept 2 out of the 7. We still kept mama and daddy separated and had no plans for more bunnies. Again, the kids let them out at the same time. I had no clue until today. My daughter admitted to it after telling me she found babies. I didn't want more bunnies to deal with. They aren't easy to find homes for. We had already decided we wanted to rehome mama and daddy bunny because they just don't get enough attention (the two babies we kept get way more attention but they also like to be held more).

I guess I'll call on Monday (or Tuesday if the vet is closed Monday) and make an appointment to have daddy fixed. No one in our area will fix a female rabbit so the best I can do is make sure the male is fixed. Then I have to start looking for homes for them all. I'm not up to this again. It was hard enough the first time.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh boy! I guess the easter bunnies really are at your house!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I hope you can find homes for them all!
That happened to us when we were little, our parents bought my brother, sister and I a rabbit, supposed to be 3 females...but one was a male....we ended up with 20 bunnies
Then we went away and had our neighbor look after them, he was a constant practical joker and decided to let them have a playdate while we were away. ended up with 10 more!!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of bunny this easter
Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

OMG! I guess Easter bunnies really arrived to your home! I hope you'll find a home to all those cuties!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sure hope we can find homes for all of them too (GOOD homes). We'll see how they do. My husband was ready to haul them all to the local pet store and leave them (its a ma and pa store and they take in rescues a lot so not like a normal pet store) but I told him we're going to let them be until they are big enough to be moved and see how they do.

My kids will be excited. I'll take bunnies in to their classrooms again. Lat time I waited until the bunnies were older so they weren't all teensy and cute (but that litter had a few health issues and were under veterinary care) so this time I'll take them in sooner. The kids will enjoy that.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my these babies are LOUD. I don't ever remember hearing the other litter make noise. These guys are squeaking in there. Mama is covering them all up snug with her hair now so they should settle down. I hated that we had to move them but she delivered in her litter box in her little cage and there just wasn't enough room for her and kits.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh my goodness. You could market them as honest easter bunnies, BORN at easter!! That's got to count for something....uh....right?

good luck finding homes for them. Did you try kijiji?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure exactly what kijiji is, is it like craigslist? I think that's what I heard it was like. I tried that with our last litter and then felt bad and took down the post because I was afraid we'd get someone trying to adopt them that just wanted them for meat or wouldn't take good care of them. We found friends/family to adopt all of them. I doubt we'll find enough willing this time. I will talk to the lady at our vet's office. She breeds rabbits.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes! But they're SUPER cute.

This morning, Jeffrey came home from his soccer game, and there was a note:

"Dear Jeffrey. I need food, and water, and lots of love every day. Love, the Easter Bunny." And there was a cage, a bunny, and a bag of food. Um....

(It wasn't from me or my parents, so...?)

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Oh man so sorry your bunnies are having so many babies. I hope you can rehome them and definitely get Daddy fixed!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're definitely in trouble with these guys. They are less than 2 days old now and we found one had escaped from the nesting box and was almost out of the gate at the front of the enclosure. Poor mama bunny was just sitting there like she had no clue what to do. I went in, rubbed some of her hair on my hands and then picked up the little one and placed it in the nest with its siblings.

This bunch is definitely more fiesty than the last. I never heard the other ones make a peep when they were tiny. These guys, the day they were born even, were squealing like little pigs trying to get mama's attention at feeding time. Typically baby kits only get fed once a day but these guys have been fed more than that. I think mama is trying to keep them quiet.