Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W
Default Router shopping-Need help please

The laptop is here !

Thing is, I need a router and we are NOT independanlty wealthy,lol. I'd like it asap and have seen that WalMart has a really nice selection. Would it be prudent to get one there, because I'm sure that their prices are far better than at the big box stores like comp usa, best buy, office depot,etc or new egg, for example.

So hit me girls with your suggestions because I really want to use my new baby,lol. Btw, I didn't choose this, my dad did. It's a Compaq Presario. But it's all mine
Old 09-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, i don't really know much about routers other than to know that I will be needing one soon as well. Most desktop computers do not have wireless cards in them, so you will have to buy not only a router, but a wireless card for your desktop.

I saw at Costco that they had a wireless N router and USB card type thing (it's a receiver for wireless that just plugs into your USB port) for $130. I was considering buying it, and I probably will next payday because I will need one within the month.

The only thing I know for sure is that "N" routers are stronger than "G" routers and cover more distance.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Just a quick glance at the website but I would get this one or this one. The wireless N is faster but since it is newer your laptop might not supprot it without a card.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

If your laptop has a wireless card in it, which most do, it most likely won't support an N router.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

She won't need the wireless card for her desktop, if you keep the modem/router hooked up on the desktop and use the wireless on the laptop. That's what we do

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
Well, i don't really know much about routers other than to know that I will be needing one soon as well. Most desktop computers do not have wireless cards in them, so you will have to buy not only a router, but a wireless card for your desktop.

I saw at Costco that they had a wireless N router and USB card type thing (it's a receiver for wireless that just plugs into your USB port) for $130. I was considering buying it, and I probably will next payday because I will need one within the month.

The only thing I know for sure is that "N" routers are stronger than "G" routers and cover more distance.
Careful with that. We did the same thing.. upgraded from G to N and then the card would not fit in my new laptop. The internal laptop card only supported G and the N wouldn't fit in the slot, so we had to return all the N stuff and go back to G. So you might not want to pick up the router and all the cards until you have your laptop.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

With the 2 routers I've had I could use an ethernet cable to connect the desktop directly to the router. I just have to position the router close to the desktop obviously.

had a netgear that was pretty easy to set up. I have a Buffalo one now and like it even better, but I don't think they are available anymore.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We've got 2 desktops and my laptop routed together using Belkin N1. My laptop (Toshiba) came with the internal wireless card so I didn't need to get anything else for it, as soon as I set the router up with the host pc, the laptop recognized the network. Dh's pc in the next room has the Belkin N1 Wireless USB adapter because he didn't want to fiddle with installing an internal card.(this will also work with a laptop) We tried a different brand before this one and it was crap.

Looking at the back of the box is your best way to compare and determine what fits your needs. The Belkin N1 is ideal for streaming video, music, online gaming, web surfing, email and photos. The G Plus and G Plus MIMO don't mention streaming video or photos.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
Just a quick glance at the website but I would get this one or this one. The wireless N is faster but since it is newer your laptop might not supprot it without a card.
That first one looks like a good prospect.

Did I mention that this one had no instruction manual in it? It's a royal pita to find info at HP about it and I still have little info about it's actual configuration,lol. But it's doable. Like Grasshopper, and Luke Skywalker, I must learn patience
Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Our router is hooked up to Tony's desktop directly, and when I had my desktop built, I got a wireless card built in. So I use the wireless on my desktop and laptop, but DH is plugged in LOL
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had a D-Link G router for like 4 years now and it still works great. I bought it at Best Buy when they had a mail-in rebate so it was only $30. If you watch prices for just a month (if you can stand being plugged in that long) you'll find a good deal. That's what we did and we jumped when we saw it and were quite pleased. All of the wireless at my work also uses D-Link routers, so they must be pretty good (as we are an engineering firm and hire IT geeks to set up the network and everything)

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=474

is the replacement version of the one I have. There is even a $10 rebate on it so it'll only be about $40. Rebate good until the end of this month.

http://www.dlink.com/promotions/rebates/
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a linksys router and spent about $80 for it at Best Buy.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We have a Network Everywhere router, which is made by Linksys. Got it from Wal Mart. We've had it for years with no problem. It's plugged into the internet cable & sits up on the bookshelves. It recognizes every computer anyone brings into the house with no problems.