Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default um.. good weight loss advice?

So I have been reading this website there is a trainer here in Canada that has a tv show where he helps people lose weight.. anyways was browsing there the other day and this is probably the MOST absurd thing i have ever read about trying to lose weight.

I'm not even kidding about this.. lol. I can't stop laughing (and admit a bit angry that this is advice given from an actual trainer)

There is a Q&A on his blog. A lady is struggling to lose weight etc and asking for basic advice on how to get started. He gives all the normal answers that we hear etc and then this:

# Find some fitter people to hang out with. Hang out less with your chubby friends.

Seriously??!!

Sorry.. can't go for coffee. the trainer says i shouldn't hang out with anyone who is chubby.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've read similar advice, only it was given in a more positive way. Something like "surround youself with people who have the healthy eating habits you are trying to build".

The advice does make sense. If you're hanging out with people who have bad eating habits, it's easier to give in and eat poorly yourself. But, goodness, not hanging out with your friends? Seriously? It may be easier to diet if you don't plan lunch or dinner dates with people who aren't supportive of your goals, but those people aren't necessarily your "chubby friends". The worst offender could be your sweet Grandma who is always trying to get you to eat a piece of her homemade pie.

The trainer could have probably worded the advice differently. Or maybe he was going for shock value. You're not likely to foget his advice, are you?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

yea i suppose it good be could advice

and maybe its my experience lol and i hope fit girls don't take this the wrong way.. but alot of my "fit" friends are the ones that can eat what they like etc without having to do a lot of exercising kwim? soo I don't know..

IMO finding a group of friends with a similar fitness level and trying to work together to get healthy etc is something I would think would be helpful.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yea Ive heard that advice before. he just sounds ignorant. Surrounding yourself with supportive people who want to be healthy is the best advice I think. You dont have to be thin to be healthy and you can be thin and unhealthy.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard that before, but what kind of a person are you if you actually DO drop your chubby friends because they are chubby? Wacko.

Penny
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well. If my friends followed this advice, I wouldn't have any.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Is it Tommy? Or Paul? LOL

Either way, there's something to it. When I'm around people who eat well, I tend to eat well. If I'm with people who are over indulging or eating bad foods, I will too. I am not a person who can order a salad when everyone around me is eating burgers and fries.

I think being around likeminded people can help you be successful. That doesn't mean ditch your "chubby" friends, it maybe just means, don't go out to eat with them LOL! I know for a fact I'd be more successful with my running, if I had someone to run with.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

haha its paul.. he does have lots of good advice i will say that.. he just seems like such a jerk sometimes! haha

Maybe its because when I hang around friends its not usually involving eating so maybe that is why I think the advice is whack... we don't really have a restaurant where I live so hanging out rarely involves eating.

I just can't imagine ditching friends because of their own weight i suppose.

He has a video on his site for doing abs standing up and says crunches are worthless so I did like that little bit of info
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

while I can see what you all think he might be saying... he could have said it better, sigh...

I don't see that advice working for me though... I tend to eat horribly around my fit friends because I'm totally jealous and I'm an emotional eater.

The thing is... in the end it's all about working on yourself not just on the outside but emotionally to find the reason you're eating too much or not exercising enough...

oh, and there is total truth to crunches being worthless especially for women who've been pregnant.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRainbow View Post
Well. If my friends followed this advice, I wouldn't have any.
Exactly.

And hanging out with me doesn't mean I am going to rub my fattiness onto you. You can't catch fat.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

and how do you do crunches standing up? Off topic I know, but I've never heard of these!

Penny
Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

they're not crunches in the literal sense.. but any core body work while standing is going to be 1000000000000% more effective as you have to use large groups of muscles rather than trying to just target one area that you can't actually target it's all about working your whole body.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
and how do you do crunches standing up? Off topic I know, but I've never heard of these!
That's what I was wondering.
And who's Paul, i'm in canada and I have no idea
Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds to me like he's taking information gained from a study and turning it around to where it's no longer accurate. I believe I heard about this study a few months back -- that researchers have found that people tend to hang out with people who are around their same fitness level -- chubbier people tend to hang with chubbier people, thinner people...etc., etc.

Anyway, while looking at the results of any study is fine in and of itself, to turn that information around and create advice from it doesn't necessarily work.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

here is what he recommends for upright abs..

http://www.paulplakas.com/bodcast-episode-9/
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
haha its paul.. he does have lots of good advice i will say that.. he just seems like such a jerk sometimes! haha

Maybe its because when I hang around friends its not usually involving eating so maybe that is why I think the advice is whack... we don't really have a restaurant where I live so hanging out rarely involves eating.

I just can't imagine ditching friends because of their own weight i suppose.

He has a video on his site for doing abs standing up and says crunches are worthless so I did like that little bit of info
LMAO I figured it was Paul! He has good ideas, but he's very blunt at times LOL

I wouldn't ditch friends because of their weight, I mean, I'm fat myself LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! I think I can do most of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
here is what he recommends for upright abs..

http://www.paulplakas.com/bodcast-episode-9/

Penny
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that his point was that you have to hang with people who have a good life hygiene in general. He certainly sounds tactless. I mean, we all know chubby people who eat healthy and are active but struggle with their weight and skinny people that eat anything they want and don't gain. Life is unfair, lol!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well.... I'll only add that that wellness teacher in college said that we tend to stick around people who make the same/similar health and lifestyle choices that we do. That's why one of the things people going into early stages of rehab are told to disassociate with their friends who are addicts.

((totally not saying any of you are junk food addicts! lol It was just the comparison I remember our teacher giving.))

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like he means well, but says thing a little bit the wrong way.

I might have a weight loss solution which will work for all of us here!
Lock us up in a room with a computer and lots of Sweet Shoppe goodies and we will lose weight instantly as we don't have time to eat at all! We just want to play!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ya me and my runner friends eat ridiculous amounts of food, none of it good. I don't advise hanging out around us if you don't want to eat badly.

Although, we'll talk you into running...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard that advice too, only the delivery was a little more delicate than his. LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ahh, you gotta know Paul to appreciate how he worded it, he gets so frustrated with people and their excuses sometimes LOL. He also thinks elliptical machines are wack, and that fybromialgia is made up. I just take him with a grain of salt when I watch his shows or read his blog. He was heavy once, and now he isn't, and he knows what it took to get there, and to stay there, and I think it influences how he talks to others sometimes.