Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default help . . . Martha Stewart circle cutter

I am very perplexed and frustrated.

I am trying to use the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter to cut out pages for a CD album.

The problem I am having is that I cannot for the life of figure out how to line up the circle marker to follow the outline of my CD page accurately. It seems to go off by a little bit.

I'm thinking I am doing something stupid and there must be some easy way to follow a premade circle outline? Anyone know?

thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Sorry Mimi, I had the same trouble when I tried this with mine when I first got it. I haven't had the need to cut any circles out lately, so I haven't gone back to try and figure it out.

Part of the problem is that the center of the template isn't marked. So you can't center it on your piece to cut out.

I would just rough cut the circle with scissors, and then 1 page to the cd, flip it over, and use your kraft knife to get a nice clean cut around the edges.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ok, if an engineer can't figure it out then I feel better.

what I did was put the measurement point where I thought it should go then I twirled it around to see where it went. then I kept making little adjustments to the position until it seemed to go where I wanted. that kinda works but it also kind of a PITA.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

what if you do practice circle on copy paper then when you find the # that the correct size correspondes with mark it with a sharpie.... maybe C for CD sized circle....
Full Time Photographer & All the Time Mother
Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMD View Post
what if you do practice circle on copy paper then when you find the # that the correct size correspondes with mark it with a sharpie.... maybe C for CD sized circle....
oh the measurements are clearly marked. but this tool is not really set up to cut out a predesigned circle.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I mean I was actually watching martha stewart last week and she was messing with her circle cutter. there was a project she was making and she had had her cutter marked with 1 and 2 in perm marker to show her which measurement to use for the project (you know so she wasn't trying to take the time to figure it out on the air, lol)... So if you find the measurement that is the closest to what you need maybe do what she did...

of course i don't have one of these yet, i need to get one though... how much was it?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sarah, I got mine for $20 at Walmart. I'm in Canada, so the price is higher than the States, so it should be about $15 I'm guessing.

Check Walmart first... Michaels has them but they were $7 more. BUT if you used a 40% off, M's would be cheaper (depending on your prices).

Huge fan of:

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I mean I was actually watching martha stewart last week and she was messing with her circle cutter. there was a project she was making and she had had her cutter marked with 1 and 2 in perm marker to show her which measurement to use for the project (you know so she wasn't trying to take the time to figure it out on the air, lol)... So if you find the measurement that is the closest to what you need maybe do what she did...

of course i don't have one of these yet, i need to get one though... how much was it?
did she have the entire circle marked on her cutter? maybe I should try that . . .

I got mine @ Walmart for about $15.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

From what I remember, the cutter has numbers on it right? She marked two different numbers with a 1 and then a 2 by them in perm marker.

So maybe if you did a few practice circles, wrote the number used to make each circle on it, then found the closest fit mark that circle's number on the cutter with the marker... does that make sense? I feel like I'm explaining unclearly.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I actually measured the circle that I wanted to cut out, and then used the coordinating number on the circle cutter on a piece of scrap paper, and it was totally off. So that was frustrating.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
From what I remember, the cutter has numbers on it right? She marked two different numbers with a 1 and then a 2 by them in perm marker.

So maybe if you did a few practice circles, wrote the number used to make each circle on it, then found the closest fit mark that circle's number on the cutter with the marker... does that make sense? I feel like I'm explaining unclearly.
i feel dense. I think i know what you are saying but I do not see how that will help cut out a premade circle. the measurements are clearly marked on the circle itself so if I wanted to make a certain size circle I can do that. But I can't make the cutter follow a premade circle shape that is already drawn on the paper.

i wonder if I can find that Martha show you saw . . .
Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

hmm let me do some investigating, it would so help if I had one these things!! lol. Now that I think about it, it would be such a great handy tool to have!!

THATS IT! I'm buying one with DH's paycheck tomorrow, lol!!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Ok so it looks like it has the different increment measurements...

would it work if you measured the diameter or the CD and see if the same measurement is listed on the cutter tool?

Sorry if I'm suggesting things that you have already tried. I'm just trying to understand it too. If I'm going to be buying one I might as well try to figure it out with you, lol.

Last edited by SarahMD; 09-23-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I found the video of it... some how she had already measured the sizes she needed and marked them, that was what i was referring to.. but here is the link:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...taining-crafts

The picture of the craft there lets you click to watch a video...

As far as making a premade circle I'm not sure, my guess is just measure and trial and error - until i get one i guess that's the best help i can be, lol.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

thanks for the link! I will check it out later.

Let me know if you figure it out after you get one!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh Sarah, thanks for your help in trying to figure this out!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had this problem too. I knew which size of circle to make, I just couldn't line it up on the edge, since there was no center mark. I totally understand what you are dealing with! I just finally decided that I was going to make the circles a little bit smaller than the chipboard I was adhereing them to, and chose a slightly smaller circle - then I placed it on the edge, and you can kind of swivel the cutter around without cutting it, and then press down to cut, right? So I swiveled it around until I found a place on the circle where it would cut cleanly all around, and leave *about* the same amount of boarder around of my image. I decided for the future just to make the circles about half an inch bigger than I need them, and cut out the circle, trying to center my design the best I can, with a wide boarder of the background paper. This is the best solution I can think of...

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Wow... now I'm really intrigued with this tool... Something that seems so easy giving it's users a really hard time... Now I feel like I have to take on the challenge, lol!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie

i don't have the martha stewart cutter but if any of you paper scrapped and are familiar with the coluzzle cutters, their circle template has a size that fits PERFECTLY and they come already marked and SOOOO easy to use
Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have been struggling with this issue for awhile too. I have come up with a solution that works for me. I just couldn't bring myself to spend another $20 without trying to make this one work first.

I will try to explain it here, if you guys want me to post pictures I'd be more than happy to do so.

You are going to be marking your actual circle cutter with different size circles to make it easier to line up projects in the future. Here's how to create the different sized markings.

I'll start with a 3" circle.

1. Cut out a 3" circle using the circle cutter.
2. On a clean sheet of paper, "draw" a 3" circle by putting a pencil in the spot where the blade usually goes. DO NOT LIFT THE CIRCLE CUTTER
3. Now place the circle you cut out earlier on top of the cutter. (Be very careful not to move the cutter or this won't work.) Line it up so that it matches the drawn circle on the paper.
4. Using a thin Sharpie, trace around the cut circle that is laying on the cutter. Yes you are adding a permanent mark to your cutter.

The circle you just put on your cutter should intersect with whatever size you are working on (3" in this example).
Now when you go to cut out something that is 3" in the future, you can line it up with the drawn circle on the cutter.

It works for me.

I have done this for all of the common sizes that I cut - 2", 3.5", 4", and 4 11/16 (CD size).

Like I said before let me know if you want me to post pics.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, thanks for the tip! I can totally picture what you are saying.