Sweet Shoppe Designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default I am so heartbroken

Remember how I told you all last week that we adopted a pure-bred bengal cat from our friend who needed to rehome her due to her not adjusting to her home?

Since then I joined a handful of Bengal FB Groups and saw that the bengals in those groups were not like our bengal cat. They were active. All ours did was snuggle with us and sleep. She barely ate any of her food. When I called our friend, she told us she was still adjusting. She had a vet appointment last Wednesday, but it needed to be cancelled due to my husband needing out-patient surgery. Our friend was supposed to rescheduled on Friday, but that fell through as well. I became very worried that something was wrong with the cat and expressed my concerns with my husband who dismissed them at first. But by Friday he said I need to pressure our friend to get her an appointment on Monday because we needed to make sure she was okay. We were going to change ownership, microchip and medical records at this appointment, so while she was "our" cat, she still belonged to our friend through microchip and at the vet. I was so worried about our cat that Friday evening I ended up posting in the Bengal FB Group and they all said "take her the vet asap". We listened and took her to the animal hospital here in town. Our friend, who gave us the cat, thought we were just being paranoid and came to the vet to "talk us off the cliff of owning this cat" When she saw her cat, she knew something was wrong. We were at the vet for many long hours and all the news the vet came back was bad news after bad news. As a result, we sent off a bunch of tests and hopefully will find out, for sure, next Monday what is wrong with our cat. However the vet believes our cat is dying of FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis), which is fatal and there's no cure. She didn't think our cat would live through the weekend, and will be checking in on us later today to see if she needs more IV fluids.

It's been horrible. When we got home Saturday afternoon, we just told the kids that she had a 104 fever and was sick. We told them that we didn't know what was wrong with her (which we don't for sure), and will know more later next week. Then we told them they need to spend as much time possible with her, to encourage her fight through whatever is ailing her small body (if it's an infection).

Sunday morning my son came downstairs and saw the kitty on the sofa and sobbed as he hovered over her. He kept asking what was wrong with his best friend and if she's going to die. He would not let her out of his sight for most of the day and was very moody, often breaking out in tears when he pet her--which was a couple of times an hour. I finally got him distracted and gave her to a kid, to sleep on their bed in their room. We noticed around lunchtime that she no longer has the energy to walk up the stairs to the bedrooms or her litter. As a result she had two potty accidents yesterday evening and overnight--both in our daughter's beds (thank goodness for really good mattress covers!)

It's going to be a long week waiting and worrying about the cat. Last night I took the girls out to Walmart (just to get them away from their brother) and told them that while we don't know what's wrong with the cat, it's a real possibility that she will die. That news did not go over well. She is their first cat, ever! They had been begging for a cat for years, but due to allergies we couldn't get one until I discovered there were hypoallergenic cats that are easier on allergies. My oldest refused to leave the car, eat her ice cream that I bought her and refused to speak to me; she was so angry. She came home, locked herself in her room and sobbed. My middle, she just cried and cried, and cried in the car, at Walmart, even once we got home. It was so hard because she's the same one who cried for two days (last Sunday and Monday) because she wanted a cat her whole life and couldn't believe we finally got one!! Last night my middle declared she wasn't going to school--of course, both girls are in school today. But it's been an emotional week and weekend for sure. I didn't even get on my computer until just now to see what new releases that were released on Friday! (Good products, designers!!!)

This cat has only been in our lives for a week, but she's made such an impact on our lives. The kids have been so happy having a pet that loves them, loves to snuggle and doesn't bit/snip if you bugged her. They have all been going to bed without fighting me that they can stay up another hour all because they want to snuggle with the kitten and love on her. In just a week's time, she's been an angel, heaven-sent and I'm really heartbroken to think she's dying and there's a great possibility that she will no longer be in our lives after next week. I feel so guilty bringing a sick cat in to the family, but with bringing her in to my family, I was able to see signs that she was sick, signs that might not have been seen at my friend's house, had she kept the cat. I brought this heartache to our family and I feel terrible. I feel so guilty; I brought this hurt and pain on our family. Right now, the previous owners and our family are "co-owning" the kitten. We get to keep her at the house because we are home more than her family, but they are involved in her medical care, including if the decision comes down to putting her down. They have been over twice and yesterday they came over for quite some time to spend time with the kitten. Before they left our house, her son said to me that they want her cremated and they want to give us half of her ashes so we always have a piece of her with us. I told the mother, I didn't want ashes and if they want her cremated, they can keep all of her since they had her longer in their hearts than our family. Her response was "you know we are connected for life now, right?" We are sharing such an emotional time with another family over such a precious and beautiful kitten!!

This photo was taken last night before I went to bed. You can see in her eyes that she's sick. Her eyes are glassy and not open all the way.