Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default So...Homeschooling

I know many of you have seen me talking about this on FB, but I wanted more input and I know so many of you are awesome at homeschooling. We are thinking of taking our rising 3rd grade son out of his school and homeschooling him with our rising K daughter. There are a lot of reasons that we're so seriously considering this and we are seeing so many more pros than cons on our list. However, I know it's such a HUGE undertaking and I question myself. Plus, I think I must be slightly crazy that I'm this.close to getting 7ish free hours by myself everyday and I'm thinking of trading it in and taking on homeschooling.

So, talk to me about it. What do you love? What do you not-so-much love? Do you use a set curriculum and if so, what and how do you like it? What does your schedule look like? Anything you think I should consider that I many not be thinking of?

I've gone back and looked at the previous threads that have been here about this topic and have gotten some amazing info/links/ideas, so thank you for that! Just looking for anything else you'd tell me before we make our final choice.

Oh--guess I should add--DS finished 2nd grade above grade level. He's fine academically and socially. We have no issues with his school (we mostly love it, actually). He's very active in sports and outside activities. I am also a former teacher with my BS in Elem. Education and have taught K, 1, 2, and 4. We're looking into homeschooling for several reasons: more effective use of education time, freedom to travel as a family, freedom to teach topics of our choice, flexibility in our day to day schedule, ability to keep our children CHILDREN for as long as possible, ability to shield them from behaviors/attitudes/topics that we don't find acceptable, etc etc etc...

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just doing preschool with my 4 yo DS, but I have thought long and hard about taking my rising 1st grader out of school for many of the same reasons you listed. My DH is not in favor of it, though, so it remains a dream for me. But I am excited for you - you'll never get this time back, and they're only young for such a short time!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Since I'm just beginning to start this with my 4yo... I don't have any experience to talk too... just the little I started out with earlier this year... don't be surprised if the school day goes quicker than thought. I was set for 4 hours and by the time we got through everything, it took us an hour and 20 min... and that was with snack time. But again - pre-k... pretty basic stuff. it was a purchased full curriculum... This coming year I'm "building my own"... I think it will give me more control over the areas that I think J is ahead in like phonic compared to math, which we really hadn't started.

I would recommend trying to see if there is a homeschooling convention yet this year for your state... so much good information and a chance to hear from others that have "been there" for your state.

Oh, and I wanted to add...that the reasons you listed are the same reasons that DH and I have for our decision, too.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As I said in a recent thread, I have decided to do a free online public school called Vilas Online through the state of Colorado. Since I have 3 elementary age boys, I just couldn't see myself doing it all on my own. I like the support and reassurance of having curriculum already done for me. You may want to look into online public school in your state.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i have a friend who was homeschooled growing up, because she was so involved with theatre, and it gave her the freedom to spend time doing shows, but not miss any "formal" school. she ended up coming back to public school for senior year, because her family was worried about her not getting into college (she actually did go to college for theatre). but she always says that homeschooling was the best choice her parents ever made.

i TOTALLY agree with rebecca's suggestion for finding a homeschooling convention. or even a local group. they'll be there to help you through any transition, or if you need advice. (:

Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I did homeschooling for pre-k, K and 1st grade and then we put our son in public school. He was all about structure and workbooks and such more than unit studies alone. Very type A. It was fun though he was really difficult to work with toward the end and wanting to go try school.

Due to the fact that I now live in the boonies and there is a long waiting list for the one pre-k I liked for El, I will be homeschooling her this year also. I loved Bob Jones and Horizons. We did a combo of workbooks, since he loved them, and unit studies that I came up with on my own for science and art and such. He played sports (sometimes 2 at a time), did AWANA and Sunday school so he got more "socializing" than a lot of kids haha. El is going to do either soccer or cheering, up to her, AWANA and Sunday school so she'll get plenty of chances to be around other kids.

I'm just trying to gear myself up for it! No idea what curriculum I'm doing. I need to head up to Mardel and look around. She is the total opposite of her brother so lots of hands on and experiments and lighter on the written work for her. I'll be going to college this fall too so it'll be interesting to see how it all works out!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a friend who homeschools in California. She is connected with some type of 'homeschooling' charter school where the kids meet together once a week. And then the 'school' provides the curriculum for her to do at home. I would definately check and see what type of homeschool support is available in your state.