Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default Xmas Eve/Morning Food Traditions?

Last year we just played Christmas by ear since it was our first as a blended family. This year, I want to try out some new traditions.

We don't get the kids until after supper on Christmas Eve, so its just me and DH. Then we have them until after breakfast on Christmas Day. (We have 50-50 custody, just FYI.)

What do you eat on Christmas Eve and on Christmas morning?

One idea I had for the dinner is spaghetti carbonara for two, candlelit picnic-style in front of the Christmas tree.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

We are doing lasagna, salad and garlic bread for Christmas Eve this year. It seems to change every year. Last year my sister cooked a turkey and sides. The year before we had Chicken Tortilla Soup.

We'll probably have muffins, coffee, cereal and oj for breakfast.

Christmas Day (late afternoon) we are having what we consider a "traditional" dinner.... Basically Thanksgiving dinner with Prime Rib instead of Ham and Turkey Breast instead of the whole Turkey. It will come with all of our usual sides...

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We don't have any set traditions, but I'm going to try these Gingerbread Pancakes for Christmas morning this year.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom's side of the family gets together every year on Christmas Eve and does a buffet type thing of appetizers and desserts and all that yummy stuff

Not sure what we'll do for Christmas morning yet... we'll probably eat at my parents when we go there to exchange gifts.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

growing up Christmas Eve was always "Christmas" at my Dad's parent's home. Now that they are gone, we still continue to celebrate on Christmas Eve the years we have the kids. Last year we didn't have the kids so we went to the Christmas Eve service and then had Jack In The Box (cuz it was the only place open)

Our "Christmas Breakfast" when I grew up was always a large buffet that my parents put together and our family & friends came to our house. I remember cinnamon rolls, eggs and ham, hashbrowns or home fried potatoes. The few years we have done it as adults we have mimosas as well.

Not sure that helps, but it might.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

we always have a BIG pancake breakfast on Christmas Eve! I cook all breakfast foods imagineable! Then donuts for breakfast on Christmas Day.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We eat with my family on Christmas Eve... just a typical potluck.

On Christmas morning I do monkey bread... LOVE IT! I love that I can make it the night before and then pop it in the oven as soon as we get up. The smell is SO good and it's quick and easy and YUMMY!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually work Christmas eve, so we usually do appetizers and make them easy but tasty. Like this year i have some goat cheese wrapped in a cinnamon cranberry sauce that we'll put on some baguettes. That's just one thing. I have a few more things I'm thinking of, and then the boys love Trader Joes meatballs in their General Tsao sauce, so I might whip some of those up too. It's just going to be the 5 of us...my oldest is in Texas and can't come, and no other family.

Since Christmas day will be my first day off in a long time (and my boys are older so no one actually gets up for breakfast), I'm just going to have cinnamon rolls (from a can!!) with coffee and OJ.

Our tradition seems to always be appetizers on Christmas eve and then something sweet and easy Christmas morning. No big meal for just 4 of us though...my other son will be with his gf's family on Christmas day.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We've done a tamale & other tex-mex fare for Christmas Eve as long as I can remember. This will be the first year that I won't be doing it We'll be traveling on Christmas Eve..and won't be able to do it. I may make DH let us stop at Taco Bell for supper :P

Christmas morning has never been a traditional meal..just joining in with whomever we're spending the morning with if we're on the road. This year we're doing an egg/hasbrown casserole to pop in the oven that morning before we open presents. We're not doing a traditional meal that day as we'll be waiting for more family to arrive the next day, so we'll do a typical meal the day after - Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole (from scratch...not out of the can, lol) and the like. We'll do a big birthday cake at some point on Christmas Day for the Jesus party.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing special for Christmas Eve/Day dinner. But, Christmas morning, for as long as I can remember, homemade doughnuts! Can't wait for Friday!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We don't have any traditional meals. If we're with mom's family, it's generally Tex-Mex. If we're at home, then whatever I feel like cooking.

Breakfast is generally DH's homemade waffles if we're at home, or whatever mom wants to make when we're at her house.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Christmas Eve is our "Christmas" with Darik's side of the family. We typically have prime rib and all the "typical" sides. Christmas morning I make Breakfast Casserole for myself and the girls, and then some pancakes since Darik doesn't like cheese!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

On Christmas my husband makes breakfast. Usually eggs and bacon or sausage and pancakes. Christmas afternoon we have basically what we eat for thanksgiving. Turkey or ham plus all the sides. Christmas eve we usually have pizza cause its quick and easy.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For Christmas Eve dinner we ALWAYS do homemade pizza. It's a fun tradition.

Christmas morning, breakfast was always cinnamon rolls (you know, in a can). This year with our own little family, I think I want to start doing a casserole instead...or in addition.

And Christmas dinner is just something big, we're doing pineapple glazed ham!

Last edited by Sarah8914; 12-21-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve we usually do finger food-y type things.

Christmas morning, we have sausage egg casserole, cinnamon rolls.

Christmas dinner: Ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, broccoli salad, rolls, and dessert.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I cook a ham and scalloped potatoes for Christmas Eve. I make turkey with all the trimmings on Christmas Day, Tony makes his famous chocolate cheesecake. Mmmmm.

Christmas morning, after the gifts are opened, Tony and I make breakfast for everyone together. We do eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, hashbrowns, toast...it's a huge feed and keeps everyone full until we have the turkey for dinner.

Since there are only 5 of us, our kids are small eaters, and I make a turkey AND a ham, we eat left overs for about a week afterwards LOL.

Oh, and this year on the 23rd (also known as Tib's Eve here in Newfoundland...I don't know why it's called that, it's just an extra excuse for us Newfies to party LOL) I'll be starting a new tradition. I'll be making my mom's awesome chili recipe and some nachos. Mmmmm.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

We spend Christmas Eve w/ my MIL so ham, mashed potatoes, etc. Late lunch.

Christmas breakfast is a yearly tradition at my parents. Everyone comes over. We have hashbrown casserole, egg casserole, hot fruit, monkey bread, mimosas.. It's one of my favorite parts of the day.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve is going to be spent with the IL's and we are doing soup and crackers.

Christmas Morning is cinnamon rolls. Sometimes homemade and sometimes pillsbury.

I have no idea about Christmas dinner. lol It's just us here at home and I don't know what to make. *cry*
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The only meal I'm sure about is Christmas morning. Will be making Gina Miller Baked French Toast. My son will actually eat it. And I will make bacon just for myself. I don't know why but the rest of my family has turned anti-bacon .

Hmm, I should probably think of a menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve we have a big dinner of ham with all kinds of sides.

Christmas morning I pop a batch of overnight cinnamon rolls into the oven for when we're done opening gifts. Then the rest of the day we eat leftovers and snacks like veggies w/dip, cheese & crackers, mixed fruits, pumpernickle bread w/spinach dip, leftover ham etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve for us is usually leftovers from Christmas lunch at the IL's house sometime before we head to church.

For Christmas morning I carried on my mom's tradition and make a sausage/egg casserole and sticky buns. I pop it all in the oven when we get up to open presents and it's done by the time we're ready to eat. Even better is that I can put it all together early and stick it in the fridge so there is no prep work on Christmas morning. I don't want to spend time in the kitchen while the kids are enjoying Christmas morning.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you peeps should post some of these recipes!!! For the breakfast food especially! I might try something new!!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ever since I was little we've had Wife Saver for breakfast on Christmas morning/brunch. My Dad always makes it and it is soooooo good!

This year my parents are away though, so I'm either gonna have to make it myself or go without. LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve we're at my mom's usually and she does a soup buffet thing. Chili and fixings, a couple other soups. This year, they're predicting a blizzard here Thursday, so we might end up staying home.

Christmas morning we're usually trying to get dressed and on our way to my in-laws, so we grab whatever my mom has in the house. I went to the store and bought Pillsbury cinnamon rolls just in case we're actually here this year.

Is it bad to pray for an awful snowstorm so we can just stay home the entire week? I'm in no mood to drive all over Kansas.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Wow - so many ideas and traditions. A few years back, my ex and I started a tradition of Italian Thanksgiving and Brazilian Christmas (black beans, rice, greens, cornbread, oranges). Those ideas don't really work for my situation now, but maybe they will for you!

For Christmas Eve, I'm leaning towards the pasta - something comforting and fairly simple. However, it may not be the romantic picnic I've envisioned since the boys' mom rarely sticks to the assigned times.

For the morning, I'm thinking about fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon (for everyone else), sausage (for me) and a Sara Lee coffee cake - unless anyone has a tried-and-true recipe for butter streusel coffee cake??

However, I'm torn and wondering if I should just make a breakfast casserole. I think the full breakfast would go over better, but it certainly takes more time.

I think we're going to be driving around central IL visiting various people the rest of the day, so I expect our "dinner" will consist of the various sweets they force us to eat at each stop (minimum 3, likely more). We had our big family dinner yesterday - ham, pork chops and lots of sides.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
Ever since I was little we've had Wife Saver for breakfast on Christmas morning/brunch. My Dad always makes it and it is soooooo good!

This year my parents are away though, so I'm either gonna have to make it myself or go without. LOL

What is "wife saver"??
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve - we've got about 3 different things we do:

- lasagna with garlic bread (typical for years it's just us and the kids on christmas eve)
- a fancier holiday meal (only done twice I think)
- a large variety of appetizers and christmas cookies (our favorite and what I did the last 2 years- last year I made 10 different appetizers and we snacked on them all afternoon / evening)

Christmas morning

We used to do cinnamon rolls but I don't have it in me to get up early and make them so we do breakfast casserole now.

------------------------------------

I think the idea of pasta is awesome- especially if it's just you two. For christmas morning the big breakfast is really awesome but it takes so long to cook - make sure you don't end up a slave in the kitchen while the kids and your dh are lounging kwim? You want to get to enjoy the holiday too and be a part of it. So if you cook all that, make them help.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We use to have all the fixings on Christmas Eve, Turkey, etc. And I might bring that back in the future. But the last couple years we've done steaks & fried shrimp. We're doing that at my inlaws this year. Its our first year living near family for Christmas.

Christmas morning is always Gingerbread Waffles that I make, sausage & OJ.

For dinner on Christmas we're going back over to my inlaws to have dinner with my SIL & BIL. I'm making White Chili and cornbread. We're staying in our PJ's all day.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We go out to dinner on Christmas Eve. Then we drive around looking at the holiday lights

We do breakfast casserole or baked peach french toast for Christmas brunch (my kids get up before 6am on a normal day & closer to 5 on Christmas so we have a very early bowl of cereal before gift opening). They both can be assembled the night before & then just popped in the oven an hour before we want to eat.

Since we are at home for Christmas this year we're having prime rib, roasted sweet potatoes, asparagus & salad for dinner. If we were at my folks we'd have ham, noodles & mashed potatoes & green bean casserole.

Last edited by Stacey42; 12-21-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Since in Germany you celebrate on Christmas Eve, I do fancy meals on all three nights and although it is a lot of work, I enjoy it. This year we have planned stuffed turkey breast on Christmas Eve, ham on Christmas Day and filled pork filet on Boxing Day. Christmas Day morning we will have a nice breakfast with pancakes with fresh strawberries and blueberries, scrambled eggs, etc. as well as a glass of sparkling wine.

my blog
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Christmas Eve we go to my grandparents'. We usually have some sort of pasta with a tomato based sauce and garlic bread and desserts.

Christmas Morning we usually have sausage gravy & biscuts and eggs. This year I'm thinking casserole instead. That way, I can assemble it the night before, put it in the oven when we get up, it'll bake while we're opening gifts and when we're ready to eat.. it'll be ready.

Christmas Day Evening we'll have a traditional dinner- ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green bean casserole, rolls & desserts.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My Christmas is kinda funny this year. We celebrated with my dad's family last weekend and we ate pizza. Then on Christmas day we will celebrate just the 3 of us and for breakfast I will make pillsbury cinnamon rolls. For our meal, I have a request for turkey breast, homemade mac & cheese, stuffing, mashed potatos and gravy. We also need to get cupcakes for the reindeer because that's what N wants to leave them. Then we will celebrate with my mom on New Year's weekend and we always do appetizers which I love. You can just munch on that throughout the day. Its fun.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My parents make crab legs and shrimp on Christmas eve. I can't remember when they started that tradition, but enjoyed it growing up. I guess it is because it's one of those things you don't eat everyday.

Christmas day my mom usually made a ham, with some sides.

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We don't have set dinners for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but Christmas breakfast has been "cinnamon bears" for as long as I've been married. It's sort of like monkey bread and very easy to do. You take Pillsbury biscuits, dip them in melted butter, then roll them in cinnamon sugar. We make a drizzly "icing" to put on top when they come out of the oven. So NOT our healthiest breakfast of the year, but it's been a tradition too long to stop now!

My Blog: Life as MommyMo

Proud to create for:
The Daily Digi, 9th and Bloom, Jenn Barrette, Leora Sanford, Fizzy Pop Designs, Tracie Stroud, PixelQueens, Wendyzine and Kelley Mickus
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We usually do Christmas Eve dinner with DH's family (aunt, uncle, cousin, cousin's wife and two nieces) at a Japanese restaurant (tepenyaki).

For Christmas breakfast, I usually do French Toast, bacon and eggs.

Sometimes I will do a breakfast casserole (hashbrowns, egg, bacon and cheese).
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
For christmas morning the big breakfast is really awesome but it takes so long to cook - make sure you don't end up a slave in the kitchen while the kids and your dh are lounging kwim? You want to get to enjoy the holiday too and be a part of it. So if you cook all that, make them help.
If we made the full breakfast, DH would probably do most of it. I would monitor the addition of cheese to the eggs (I prefer late in the process), but he's the bacon and potato-fryer. And then we would both clean up. I'll clean the dirtiest of dishes, but not the bacon grease.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by makabe View Post
We don't have set dinners for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but Christmas breakfast has been "cinnamon bears" for as long as I've been married. It's sort of like monkey bread and very easy to do. You take Pillsbury biscuits, dip them in melted butter, then roll them in cinnamon sugar. We make a drizzly "icing" to put on top when they come out of the oven. So NOT our healthiest breakfast of the year, but it's been a tradition too long to stop now!
I'm not a big fan of regular monkey bread, but this option sounds great! I wonder if you could do it with the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls instead of the biscuits.. and then it comes with the icing!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Christmas Morning we usually have sausage gravy & biscuts and eggs.
I hadn't thought of biscuits & gravy. That sounds awesome!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For Christmas Eve, we always get new pajamas and slippers. We open them, then have hot chocolate and take some photos. We always watch White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve as well. We also have homemade tamales and enchiladas for dinner. Yummo!

On Christmas Day, we always open our presents, then we have a nice big breakfast of buttermilk pancakes and sausage. We also spend the morning playing games, this year it will be Twilight scene-it! LOL Then we usually eat our big Christmas dinner around 2:00 and spend the rest of the day with each other. I usually get a Charles Wysocki puzzle, and I'll probably be working on that. =)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For dinner we wouldn't have anything special, but we'd have this strata for breakfast that my mom called the Christmas Morning Wife Saver. You make it the night before, put it in the fridge and bake it the next morning. It was made with white bread, eggs, ham, spinach I think and lots of cheese. Yum-o.