Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2017, 02:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: What makes you want to buy a kit/template?

With the new releases that went live, my next question is... What makes you want to buy a kit or template?
Are you attracted by a theme or rather a color scheme? Or maybe even a designer? Does a kit have to have certain elements before you buy it?

For me, a kit has to have a variety of flowers, the more the better.
And I'm always attracted by Halloween kits. If I had the money, I think I would buy every single Halloween kit.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mostly theme.and the colors have to match my photo's.
For templates i have some favorite designers.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Colors! I love gorgeous color combinations!
For templates, it has to be designs that are unique and hard to imitate and those with so many photos on them! I am a one or two photos scrapper.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been shopping a long time, so unique themes that I haven't seen too much before usually gets my attention. Although, I sometimes buy just because it's pretty and I want it. lol

Lately, I've been attracted to templates with lots of horizontal photo spaces. I noticed that I need them a lot when scrapping vacation albums where I need to include the scenery as well as people. It's rare that I turn my camera vertically, so most of my photos are horizontal.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For kits, color is the first thing I look at. I like clear, saturated colors, and I like it best when all colors are represented. I have a hard time scrapping with monochromatic kits or pastels. Then I look at the word art and elements. I like a kit to be versatile, even if it's heavily themed.

For templates, I look for multi-photo layouts that don't end up looking over-crowded. I take lots of photos, and I like to scrap lots of photos. Cindy's templates have always been my favorite.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For kits, color is the first thing I look at. I like clear, saturated colors, and I like it best when all colors are represented. I have a hard time scrapping with monochromatic kits or pastels. Then I look at the word art and elements. I like a kit to be versatile, even if it's heavily themed.

For templates, I look for multi-photo layouts that don't end up looking over-crowded. I take lots of photos, and I like to scrap lots of photos. Cindy's templates have always been my favorite.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For kits, I have to like the colors and feel like they'll match my photos. They have to have enough non-floral elements for me to scrap photos of my boys (unless I'm only planning to scrap my daughter with it, in which case, bring on the flowers!) Theme is a little harder to pin down. There are certain themes I use often and can buy lots of kits for, like birthdays, everyday moments, siblings, older boys, and travel. For other themes, like Halloween and school, I buy 1 or 2 kits a year. Other times I buy something because I have the perfect photos for it or because I think I'll get a lot of use out of it. If I love it but don't know that I'd really use it, I wishlist until I have the right photos for it.

Templates...they're my weakness. I buy more than I need. I like big photos (or a mix of big and little photos if there are a lot of photo spaces). I like templates that have a moderate number of layers; enough to be interesting, but not so many that it looks time consuming or crowded. I prefer my photos to be rectangular or square.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I collect Fourth of July and Christmas kits.

Otherwise, it's usually whatever strikes my fancy. I have a daughter & a son and we have all four seasons & celebrate almost all of the major American holidays so I can make pretty much anything work with the pics I have. My kids don't do sports yet but I'm pretty sure my stepson has done almost every major sport so I can use those, too, when needed.

I generally do not enjoy Halloween kits since they tend to be witch face green, purple, pumpkin orange, and/or black but I make sure to drag my kids to 3-4 Halloween events every year so I have pics to use with them.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Theme mostly, that's why it's sad that so many kits are no longer very themey.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm always curious what makes other people buy a kit! I rarely buy things (My monthly allowance is only $20, and that has to include coffee with my girlfriends, so it does NOT go far.), so I have to be totally sold on something to buy it.

For a kit, designer is the top consideration for me; I buy from a handful of designers whose style I already know I love. The second thing I look at is the color scheme, and then I look at the patterns and ask myself if I could really see myself using them. Mostly I pin stuff to buy when it's on sale.

I almost never buy templates, since I'm on Cindy's & Crystal's teams, and they are my favorites. If I do buy a template set, it's because I feel like it's my style, and I think that since my style is stuck back in like 2010, this rarely happens to me, lol.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Unique elements/papers and striking colors.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The themes, the colors, and sometimes when I see sample layoutsm, they make me want to really buy that kit.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For kits, the designer is my number one thing. I have a couple that I buy everything I can from because I know they fit my style and I will use them over and over. Outside of that, it is color/theme. I don't like monochromatic and I don't typically like kits that are so themed that I can't make them work for other purposes (with the exception of Halloween and Christmas kits).

For templates, it is totally designer for me. I will sometimes buy from someone who isn't my go to - but it has to really speak to me. I've found that just because I like the way a template works, there are some designers' templates that I really struggle to use. When I use templates, it's for the ease so if I have to work extra hard to make it work for me it loses some of the benefit.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For kits, the designer is my number one thing. I have a couple that I buy everything I can from because I know they fit my style and I will use them over and over. Outside of that, it is color/theme. I don't like monochromatic and I don't typically like kits that are so themed that I can't make them work for other purposes (with the exception of Halloween and Christmas kits).

For templates, it is totally designer for me. I will sometimes buy from someone who isn't my go to - but it has to really speak to me. I've found that just because I like the way a template looks, there are some designers' templates that I really struggle to use. When I use templates, it's for the ease so if I have to work extra hard to make it work for me it loses some of the benefit.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It has to be something that I'd scrap, or have photos that I know I need scrapping. It also has to be something that is my style of scrapping. I'd prefer a discounted bundle--getting it all in one purchase/download link, rather than picking out what I want; that always overwhelms me and I often find myself not getting the collection, kit, etc. And the biggest factor is how much money do I have in my Paypal account. No money = no new products
Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to buy from the same designers, but when I do buy from someone new, first is the color scheme, flowers and foliage are the second aspect to snag the attention and then I look at the papers.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Unique themes in a kit, something that I know relates to our family life (or a particular set of photos I want to scrap; but I like versatility in colours too).

Speaking of colours, I much prefer brights to pastels and kits with gorgeous colour combinations will immediately draw me in from the preview page if the theme already hasn't. As we're Australian, we're off-season to most of you here so I find myself looking for versatile seasonal kits (rather than snow, or palm trees, or sportselated kits).

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 09-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I tend to buy less of kits but more of tools. So paint brushes, photo masks, styles. Things that make it easier for me to scrap on my own. I love a good themed kit too, for me being specific is a good thing. I like taking a themed kit and figuring out other uses for it, but I really hate scrapping themed photos with a generic kit unless I have to. Also colors are a pretty huge deal for me.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started out buying whatever caught my eye, but ended up rarely using most of my kits. So now I mainly just buy from two designers for kits and two designers for templates. I've had to restrain myself to those two as my bank account couldn't handle all the shopping. As far as elements that drag me in, I will say flowers and colours are a big factor. Wordart, journal cards, themes and papers are things I look for when I shop, but as I have only two designers I buy from I usually end up with all their kits. Templates on the other hand, I love a good journaling template, I make a lot of scrap theraphy pages and they are perfect for that. As for picture templates, I love the multi photo ones, but also those for specific themes are a favorite.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Colors go first, then the uniqueness of the elements. Of course, the more flowers, the better for me I also like creative word bits/word arts. They just complete my layouts. To me, Blagovesta is the best when it comes to twisting a theme and including fun, unique word bits. I love her sense of humour
--
Mama to Albert