Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Silhoutte/Photoshop Question

Hi everyone, I am very new to digital scrapbooking and hope that you all can help me. I have a frame that I purchased from a kit. I opened in photoshop and took note of the dimensions (it is a .png file). Then I opened it up in my silhouette studio software so I can print and cut (want to add some dimension to my digital layout) . Well, although the dimensions are the exact ones from photoshop it always prints a little larger or smaller -- not exact. What am I doing wrong???

Lillian
Old 07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have you checked your printer settings? Make sure that when you select Borderless it does not automatically enlarge it. Also if you are doing print and cut do the printing from the studio software to get the most precise size and cut. HTH!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Silhoutte/Photoshop Question

Thank you for your reply. When you say check your printer setting to make sure it is not enlarging it, where would I look for that?

I do the print and cut from the silhouette software. I just go into photoshop to check the size I used in my layout and so that I can mimic that size in the studio software. =)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari Koegelenberg View Post
Have you checked your printer settings? Make sure that when you select Borderless it does not automatically enlarge it. Also if you are doing print and cut do the printing from the studio software to get the most precise size and cut. HTH!
You're right it is enlarging my overall 12 x 12? I tried googling what I could change so this won't happen but can't find anything. I have an Epson Stylus 1400 and am on a MAC if that helps. If you could guide me in the right direction that would be GREAT! =)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When you go to print there is a box that says printer settings...I always make sure that the settings I have in there is correct, and how I want it.

I have a tutorial here on how to print:

http://mydigitalartstudio.com/2011/0...ayout-at-home/

my settings are on there too, the principles are exactly the same when you use the Silhouette Software to print.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hi! Thanks for the link it is very helpful.. however, I don't' have that "do not enlarge" option at all. I found something that has to do with expansion and believe that is what it is.. it was on max, put it on mid and still cut off some. I am printing now and put it on min.. if that doesn't work, then I am stumped... =(
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

ok. so after spending an hour with technical support -- they blame it on a soft are issue. I have tried to put expansion settings on minimum. AND nothing.. it still gets enlarged (cut off) by a little bit when selecting borderless. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Uhm someone suggested somewhere cannot remember now that they make the cutting lines a wee bit smaller than the original image to ensure a better cut. I think contacting Silhouette would probably be your best bet...its funny though cause I have a cheap epson and i don't have that problem at all...my cuts have always been exact (except when I had some software issues with the Silhouette). Hope you get it resolved because that just sounds so frustrating.

Also just an FYI have you tried not using the borderless option and see if that might work?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

It is very frustrating and it wouldn't be a big deal if it was an element but frames have to be exact.. I have tried printing (not borderless) and it is fine that way BUT, there is a 1/2 inch or so of white around the entire paper. I don't like the look of it all. I know I can trim it and then mount it on card stock but the scissors/paper cutter and me don't have a good relationship.

I contact Red River Paper to see what they would say since I bought the 12 x 12 from them and they are usually pretty good. AND he said that yes, the Epson does have that Expansion problem and I should try the following:

You may have to do a slight cheat. Try to determine how
much of the image is getting cut off. Try and be as accurate as possible.
Then, reduce the 12x12 layout by that amount. For example, if you are
loosing 1/4 inch then make the file 11.75" x 11.75". It may sound weight
but I think it will work without any loss of print quality.

But I am not sure where in photoshop I would do this? Canvas size, image size?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would change it in image size since it is the image that is 12x12?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

And if I change it there, when I go to print, do I scale to fit media so that there isn't a border? If I don't do that, then it creates a border around the 12 x 12 -- and then it brings me back to not printing borderless... you know?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Don't let it scale or anything keep the image at original size.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

ok.. just tried it and cropped it to 11.75 the image and printed on 12 x 12 and it has a border around it. =(
Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari Koegelenberg View Post
Don't let it scale or anything keep the image at original size.
Have you tried what Mari said here and uncheck the Scale to Media option? I think that probably is causing the problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I did try that -- but it still leaves a small area around that does not print. =(
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a Silhouette so I can't help you with that but I do have an Epson Stylus printer (the RX595) and I've run into this when printing borderless too. No matter what size or settings I choose, the final image is always cut off or scaled slightly larger than it should be - usually by about 1/8" all around. I think it's actually by design to guarantee you get a true borderless print (most printers do this) but I do understand how annoying it can be!

Is there any way you could scale the frame down a little and add a digital paper or color fill behind it? That way when you print, the frame won't get cut off but you'll still have a true 12x12 image without adding it to card stock.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

It's funny because EPSON swears that I am out of my mind. lol and blames it on photoshop.

I do add digital paper and now have to make sure I don't place any elements to the edge because they will get cut off slightly. It just stinks to have it increase the size of everything. I like to cut out certain elements on my silhouette and use on my layout and having to figure out sizes, well sucks. =(
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried printing with a program other than Photoshop? Since I most print pages for mini albums, I didn't worry too much about the sizes being exact bit it might be worth testing printing with another program to see.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've printed from memory mixer and from the preview on the mac. Same result. =(

By the way, I ran into your site today out of coincidence looking for templates.. you have BEAUTIFUL work! =)