Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's Talk Dogs...

After the whole cat allergy thing, we are now considering a dog. We've never had a dog before and I do not know much about them. We are hoping for something that is small, doesn't shed much, will play with my son, but also be chill, I am not a fan of dogs that jump all over people and are overly excitable. So tell me about your dogs and why you think that breed is good. Or tell me what you think would be best for us. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know poodles don't shed and they are very smart. I personally have a LONG HAIRED sheds everywhere dog, so not much help.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

We have had german shepherd mixes, a golden retriever, and, currently, a yorkie-poo (yorkie-poodle mix). As much as I LOOOOOOOOOVED our Golden, he shed EVERYWHERE. And he was so big (100+ pounds) that he kind of outgrew our tiny house. We ended up giving him to a doctor couple who had no kids at home, so he was SO much happier.

Our Yorkie-Poo is PERFECT. He doesn't shed. He's about 13#, a total lap dog. He's super smart & learns quickly.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well....
My dog
  • is overly excitable
  • jumps on people
  • is large
  • sheds a lot

But she sure is great. She's a golden retriever.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just be sure you absolutely know what you are getting into if you've never had a dog before. They are sooooo much different than a cat. I'm STILL second-guessing our decision to get a dog 7 months ago. I kind of want my life back.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I will say this.
My parents always started with puppies, and while puppies ARE cute, they are sooooo much work. John and I now always go with rescue dogs. We got Scarlet through a rescue group (http://www.magrr.org/) and it worked great for us. Scarlet had been given to them - as opposed to abandoned - when her previous owners decided that she didn't fit their lifestyle. She was already housebroken and had semi-learned some doggy manners. As first time dog owners I highly recommend trying to find an older dog that has already been taught his/her doggy manners and is housebroken.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Just be sure you absolutely know what you are getting into if you've never had a dog before. They are sooooo much different than a cat. I'm STILL second-guessing our decision to get a dog 7 months ago. I kind of want my life back.
yes...a few years ago DH bought a baby bassett hound on a whim..he was adorable and cute and I thought we'd just deal with it. and then he grew and grew until he was about 80 lbs, smelled like a hound and proceeded to eat literally my house...when he started chewing on the white posts on my front porch I told DH it was either the dog or me lol

So we found him a good home (and still see him often) and then spent 2 years researching and looking for the perfect dog for us. We ended up adopting a 2 year old shitzu mix and he is the BEST dog. So calm and loving with our kids...doesn't bark too much, was already house trained which was a HUGE PLUS. Perfect size..not too big or too small. Grooming is fairly easy...all things I wanted. He just transitioned right into our family like he'd always been there...but like I said we took a LOT of time deciding what we wanted.

And I may never get a puppy again..having one already trained and past that chew everything up puppy stage was awesome.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Miniature or a larger toy poodle. This is why:

1. Soft medium-length hair that doesn't shed very much
2. Love being cuddled, sitting on your lap, don't need much in the way of exercise
3. Very smart (stay away from the frequently inbred toy & teacup variety, they are not as smart)
4. Easy to house train, obedience train
5. Good with kids
6. Generally healthy dogs

I will caution you to stay away from the -oodle trend. Just because something is mixed with a poodle doesn't automatically give it the poodle's great traits. A great example of this is my in-laws maltipoo who is one of the most annoying dogs I've ever known (and I love dogs). Bad with the kids, health problems, not non-allergenic (I'm allergic to her), barks constantly, piddles when she's excited. All traits associated with the over-bred Maltese.

ETA: Just read Kristin's post about her sweet Yorkie-poo. I will say that there are good -poodle dogs out there, but the thing is... you really don't know for sure until they're older.

Last edited by YepBrook; 04-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
We've only had fish and reptiles! We know nothing about pets in general. I have always said a dog is like another child and I only want one child, but I grew up with no pets and I do not want that for my son especially as an only a child. A cat had seemed perfect, but that's a no go now. Gerbils and such kinda weird me out. I like to look at them at the store, but could never touch one. Birds are too loud and I could never grab one of those either.

Last edited by lovely1m; 04-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I really want to get one that is like a year from a rescue for all the reasons you mentioned, but then I think there's normally a reason dogs are given away and its normally cause they have some sort of issue. So I wonder then.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I really want to get one that is like a year from a rescue for all the reasons you mentioned, but then I think there's normally a reason dogs are given away and its normally cause they have some sort of issue. So I wonder then.
Yeah sometimes, but then our dog's owners were moving and couldn't take him with them so there are cases like that also. And a lot of times it's just people getting dogs and not realizing how big a commitment they are and just taking them to shelters because of that. I'd definitely look into your local shelters...I know ours was really great about contacting us when they had dogs come in that were similar to what we were looking for..and the people who work there can usually give you good ideas of the dogs personalities etc.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not all animals given to rescues are for behavioral issues. Sometimes it's the family moves and can't take the pet with, or a child is allergic and can't handle it, or something has come up.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We did get a puppy because yes, we all wanted a cute little puppy! And basically he is a good dog, and he was easy to house-break and crate-train. But it has been a TON of work. And he IS chewing up a lot of things but our trainer (we went through 2 training sessions 6-weeks each) said puppies teeth until 10 months. He's 9 months old now, so we shall see.

I, of course, am the main caretaker of him because I work at home and am with him all day. My boys lovelovelovelove him, but except for being the pooper-scoopers (which I refused to do from the start, although I am the vomit-cleaner), they don't do as much for/with him as I was hoping.

And like you Mari, I did this for my children. I did not want to hear "we were never allowed to have a dog" from my boys when they were all adults and on their own. Ours is an Aussie/Rottie mix of some kind from a shelter, so he IS a very active dog, but the boys wanted this type of dog.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably go for an older dog. You can find dogs in shelters that are great dogs.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Well in defense of the dogs, I'd say a lot of times the owner is the issue, not the dog. Either their family circumstances changed or they weren't realistic about the amount of work the dog would be or do enough research to make sure that breed would be a good fit for their family. I think as long as you do your research and are honest about how much of a commitment it'll be, you'd be fine.

I don't know if this is an option in your area, but some breed rescues will let you be a dog foster parent while the dogs are waiting to be adopted. I don't know what the requirements are but it might be a good way to test the waters before making a full commitment. My sister & her boyfriend have been doing it for cats and it seems like it's been a good way to learn what life with a pet would be like without a long term commitment. Of course, you may fall in love with them and then have to give them up but it could be something to look into.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Its totally the owners fault most of the time, but what bad habits did they teach the dog in that time period. I looked at the local shelters some here and emailed them. They look good and we are in no rush so can wait a long time. I would much rather give a dog a home that needs it then pay hundreds for a puppy from a store.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you are able to often times the shelters will take your name/interest for the type of dog you are interested in.

If we ever get a dog (which i can't really see happening) I'd go that route.. because at least you are able to see the personality etc and know for the most part the type of dog.. with a puppy you really have no clue!

I don't think I could do a puppy.. i'm done with babies.. and anything else that isn't potty trained or doesn't sleep through the night *lol*
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We got a llhasa apso from the shelter many years ago. She was the homeliest looking dog there but I tend to lean toward the little uglies because my heart breaks and I'm afraid no one will want them. The shelter thought she was a breeder dog for a backyard breeder - she had had so many litters that her little teets never went back to their normal size. They think she had so many litters and they were done with her and someone dumped her. :-( She had no socialization skills and was not the smartest dog you've ever seen by far. BUT....what she lacked in those areas, she totally made up for in love and devotion and was the best. dog. ever. I think she totally knew that she was saved and appreciated every minute of her 7 years with us. I say go shelter all the way!!!

Another shelter thing...I truly believe that YOUR dog will call you. When I found Maggie, I went to the shelter almost every day (high turnover) for a few weeks I think and knew that when I found my dog, she would call to me. Many days I left alone but I was right..I waited...and she called me.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Stay away from bull dogs. We had one. She was so STRONG she knocked over my HUGE leather couch and destroyed my house.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Does that include French bull dogs, Kjersti? I saw a mix dog that was so stinky cute that was 1/2 French bulldog. I for sure do not want one that will destroy my house.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Ok I'm fresh into this topic as I bought a border collie pup 4 weeks ago, DH didn't want one but DD did, we both grew up with dogs and I wanted the enjoyment my dog gave me growing up I wanted that for DD.

I knew it would be hard work but oh my days I never knew it would be this hard. Max is 14weeks and is the most adorable little fluffy thing, he doesn't chew at all, he plays lovely and has a lovely temperament, but he just isn't getting the whole wee and poop outside, I have lost count the amount of wee & poop I have cleaned up off my floor. I have spend a couple of days just in tears wondering if I made the right decision on getting a puppy. I'm in the stage of crate training him now and hoping this works cause I don't know what else I can do.

I would defiantly consider an older dog if you don't want to have to go through housebreaking a puppy
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a bull terrier. She's amazing but is white and sheds a lot twice a year. She is big and strong but she's never destroyed anything because of it.

I had a chihuahua who died last year and she was evil and tried to bite people and chewed anything she could! I'd never have another small dog.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a fan of Chihuahua's either! Especially for kids... They are snippy and so fragile. My SIL has one and it broke its leg jumping off the bed.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
Stay away from bull dogs. We had one. She was so STRONG she knocked over my HUGE leather couch and destroyed my house.
That was another problem with the bassett hound...he was so strong and heavy that...he wanted to play with the kids but they were so small he'd just knock them down. I was afraid he'd hurt them. AND when he'd jump up on you he was as tall as you b/c he was so long lol

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think one of the best things you can do before getting a dog is to research breeds like crazy... pick up a book like this one from the library and whittle it down to the breeds that are best suited to your lifestyle.

Based on your preferences:
small
doesn't shed much
playful
but also be chill
not overly excitable

I would definitely say that although they are small, a terrier is probably not for you. They are feisty & excitable, tend to bark a lot, and can be snippy with kids. My friends have an Italian Greyhound and they love him. He's a small, cute, quirky dog. I have never heard him bark and he never never jumps up on people. He's great with their son and fun to play frisbee & catch with. I know there are rescue's for them where you can foster one or adopt.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ohh! You should get a dog like my mom has. I've grown up around these dang things, but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called. This is a serious "duh" moment going on for me. It's the Lady and the Tramp dog. lol
Hers are a little high maintenance, but not overly so, and that could just be because they are hers. They can be fun and playful, but they have no problem just chilling and snuggling. They don't shed and are medium sized. They CAN develop health problems if they aren't properly cared for and there is a chance for congestive heart failure, but out of the 5 she's had only one ever got it and she was lazy and overweight, and even then she lived to be about 16.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

cocker spaniel!
http://www.puppyfind.com/cocker+spaniel.php
They ARE great dogs, and I think one day we might just get a puppy one, ya know, when all the kids are bigger. (We have to go puppy because of Scarlet.)

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
Ohh! You should get a dog like my mom has. I've grown up around these dang things, but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called. This is a serious "duh" moment going on for me. It's the Lady and the Tramp dog. lol
Hers are a little high maintenance, but not overly so, and that could just be because they are hers. They can be fun and playful, but they have no problem just chilling and snuggling. They don't shed and are medium sized. They CAN develop health problems if they aren't properly cared for and there is a chance for congestive heart failure, but out of the 5 she's had only one ever got it and she was lazy and overweight, and even then she lived to be about 16.
Cocker Spaniel? My aunt has one, Missy. Sweet dog. They can be prone to in-breeding (and the weight/heart problems you mentioned) and have piddle problems, but everyone I know that has one loves them to death. They have great personalities.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes because of the inbreeding it's really important that you either go through a rescue group just for cocker spaniels or you go through a very reputable breeder.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh... LOL. I posted waaaay after you. That's what I get for taking almost an hour to reply to a thread.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We just lost our cocker after 13 years last spring. He was a sweet dog...he didn't like kids too much but he tolerated them. I think it's b/c I got him as a puppy before we got married so for a while he was used to being the baby. You have to groom them a lot b/c their hair tends to mat very easily if you don't but he was a very sweet tempered dog. Our biggest problem with him was that he loved to dig holes in the yard.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

FWIW, we have German Shepherds...one is 17 months and the other is a pup we got 2 weeks ago. She's 14 weeks. They are amazing, smart dogs but they are bigger and they do shed. They also need quite a lot of exercise. The puppy does chew a lot, but we make sure to keep large bones around for her so whenever we catch her with something she shouldn't have, we trade it out for the bone...she's catching on. They're also very quick to learn right from wrong. We put our 1st through a one-month training course and found it invaluable and we'll be doing the same with the puppy as soon as she's old enough.

Before we got the new puppy, we tried rescuing a small dog from a shelter and that didn't turn out so well...he was a biter. We had to take him back and I swore I'd never do that again. I like the idea of giving an abandoned pet a good home, but with kids, it scares me to death not knowing exactly what you're getting. For me, the amount of work a puppy takes is worth it to be able to train them ourselves and establish from the start who the bosses are.

Good luck with your decision!!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

German Shepherds are actually my favorite breed of dog, but way bigger than I am willing to handle in my house.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

What do you guys think of this one?
http://toolkit.rescuegroups.org/java...8&key=yFeytnxJ
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can you go meet him? I think it's really important with an older dog to make sure he reacts well to you and your son.

We found our puppy online also and then went to meet him and his siblings to see which one we would want. We said we wanted Henry, but left him at the shelter to get neutered and shots. Then the boys worried all week that someone else would take him, so we had to go back the next week and get him to foster. We couldn't adopt him until he was neutered and had all his shots.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

He's in a foster home. This shelter uses foster homes. They will bring the dog over for a visit or you can go to the foster home to visit. After you decide to use them, then you get them for a trial period for 2 weeks where you can decide if he does/doesn't work for your family. He's 11 months old, so he's not a puppy, but not older. Anyone have any ideas on this mixed breed?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since they tell you which 3 breeds he is, you can check them out here: http://www.puppiesndogs.com/breeds to see the characteristics.

I'm a newbie to dogs, so I don't have any experience with those breeds - maybe someone else will have some advice.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

our sweetie is from a shelter. he was 4-6 years old when we got him. he is sooo cute and really clinging onto me but without the bad side of this, he is okay with being alone when we are away.
i had the wish to have a dog about 1.5 years before we actually got one and that was good because i could take in every information about educating dogs and think a lot if i really want it.
i am happy that i did it now. fabbi is a wonderful dog.

i also would advise to take a grown-up dog. and older than a year, because i heard that this is a little difficult time for dogs around a year old.
and you will now what he is like, if he sheds and so on.
smaller dogs can get very old, over 15 years up to 20 years.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In defense of the Chihuahua... I have a Chihuahua mix that I got via a coworker. My dog was living in his crate, let out only to do his business for several months before we got him because his former owners were living with friends and the friends had their own dog and wouldn't let them bring what is now my dog inside. He only barks at my DH, only bites at my DH and is my little protector. He's totally laid back, has never ever chewed anything that wasn't a toy or food, and sleeps all day. I've had him now for ten years and I know my time with him is getting shorter and I know I'll never ever find a dog as good as him.

My son is about to start volunteering at the humane society and I'm really afraid. I would adopt fifteen dogs if it wouldn't make me look like a crazy person.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We got our dog from a shelter. She was about a year old & a plott hound/random mix. She is what I call "a dog sized dog", meaning she is what I think of when I think of a dog, about 40lbs and about two feet to the top of her back.

I didn't want a dog. Did . not. want. a. dog. Because I know how this whole 'let's get a dog' thing would go. The three people who want the dog are the three people who are gone all day and I was the person home all day so guess who would be dealing with the dog all the time? I flat out refused to deal with a puppy or any dog that cannot stay outside for periods of time. No shedding, no grooming & any training would be a family affair. After about 6 months of looking the guys found Athena at the shelter. She was an outdoor dog (inside is not interesting to her, it just smells so much more interesting outside I guess. we live in the country, with lots of free roaming hound mix dogs around) but housebroken & already knew a few commands. She was very very excitable the first few weeks but eventually settled.

She does shed a bit but no more than the cats. She has an odd habit of barking at thunder & insists on going outside when it thunders so she can bark at it. She is ridiculously lovey. She chased away a bear twice. (plott hounds were bred to hunt bear & boar)

I think shelters are kind of haphazard around here but they do try very hard to find out if the animal is good with other pets/kids/inside/outside/etc before they put them out for adoption so you have a fairly good idea of an personality quirks ahead of time.