Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Babysitter rates?

Just curious what the going rate ( i guess?) is these days.. we have a teenager coming to watch the kids while DH go skiing and just sorta wondering what the typical price / hour is?

We asked her and she said she doesn't have a rate... hehe
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would say somewhere between 3 and 5 dollars an hour? IDK when I babysat I charged 1 dollar an hour per child

ETA:I was CPR certified as I had a niece who was a preemie and on a heart monitor so I had to take the classes in order to take care of her. Still only charged 1 dollar an hour per child. I do live in the country though and most of the parents who had me babysit were people who did not make much money

Last edited by jessica31876; 01-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're gone for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on Wed nights and our babysitter gets $25. We're generous with sitters though. I used to be one... I know what it's like! lol!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We don't ever get one, lol. Our friends pay $8-12/hr for two kids for a qualified babysitter (teenagers, CPR certified, taken babysitter classes).

Last edited by Misty Cato; 01-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I pay our babysitter on average $8 per hour. Sometimes it is a little more, sometimes less honestly depending on the amount of cash I have and what bills I have. I have three kids between 5 - 9.

Now, during the Summer when I have someone come into the house to play with the kids while I work, I usually do about 5 - 6 per hour then.

HTH!

Amy
Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hmlentz

I pay our sitter 8-10 per hour. It depends on how experienced they are and if the kids are awake. I do have 3 kids though. And they are high energy. No sitting around coloring for hours. These kids will wear out a sitter. And I expect them to be up and playing not sitting in front of a tv. Our "favorite sitter" is a lifeguard who is almost a big brother to my kids. He gets 10 until the kids go to bed and then it is 8. It's a tough one...
Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

$7-10 an hour for 2 kids plus $5 for gas money since we live in the boonies & anyone coming here generally has to drive a bit. Depends on whether the kids need fed or whether it is day or night. $7 to sit & watch a couple movies with them at night, $10 if it's daytime & the kids are really active.

We actually pay a bit above teh going rate because we suck at advance planning & I like to 'encourage' the sitter to be willing to take a last minute request. Put off her Friday night plans for a couple hours in exchange for decent money in her pocket. We're always home by 9pm & she can take off with $35-40 for her evening.

Last edited by Stacey42; 01-08-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I pay 5$ for 1 child which is a bit high, but she's totally worth it... spends all her time playing with my daughter. Most kids charge about 4$ per hr for 1 child.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have always wondered this, too. Never just hired a babysitter before, but have had friends watch him recently. All refused to take any money from me. I know one of the drop in place in town charges $5/hr/child.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a sitter (CPR certified, first aid trained, skilled in infant and child Heimlich, etc) it honestly depends on the family.

I sit for a low income family that pays me $1/hour total. I sit for another family that is well off and they pay me $15/hour. Another family I make $2/kid/hour. I just go by what they pay me, so I have NO idea what the going rate is. Sorry I'm no help. I make a little bit more for a family I sit for where the kids have major food allergies and serious health problems, because there is a lot more effort and monitoring involved with their kids.

I do know some sitters in my area actually set a specific rate, and they tell the family when called "My rate is." I personally will take what I can get. I know which families tend to pay well, and which tend not to pay well, and choose my jobs based on that, or based on how well the kids behave

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Around here, it's about $10 per hour for a qualified sitter.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have never had a set rate, but I have been known to pay some girls like $40 for watching 2 of my kids for about 6 hours {when we went to a party or something}...other than that I have a 17 y/o DD until she has a vehicle and I can't depend on her. it's all her....
Old 01-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I paid $7 this summer for a teen to watch our 1 kid. She's also a friend of the family.

Oh...and as a comparison: The drop in nanny from the certified nanny service gets $12/hour. That's set by the service we hire the nanny from. We also pay a daily rate to the nanny service for each day we hire her.

Last edited by kristijoy; 01-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we moved last summer to boston and i haven't had a sitter here b/c we have an au pair living with us ... but where i lived in chicago we paid our babysitters $12/hour, which was the same price charged by the nanny service that we used a lot. we lived near a college, so all our babysitters were in college or recently graduated ... i probably overpaid a bit b/c i always rounded up too .. LOL ...

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The teen sitters here all seem to charge $9/hr, Canadian. (CPR, babysitting course)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Depending on the night/hours we usually pay between 7-10 an hour.

We really love our babysitter and want to keep her happy so we tend to hang around the $9 region. There is nothing worse than not having family/good friends to be able to call on to watch your precious kids when you "have" to go out for a work related function. That is when the best babysitter is priceless.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

We just moved, so I haven't figured out the going rate in our new state, but we paid $10 an hour when we lived in WA. We paid $8 when we only had one kid, but upped it when we had my youngest. We fell into the category of keep your babysitter happy- I want her to WANT to come and WANT to do a good job. I feel both of those are aided by a higher hourly wage.

robin
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

seems like the balls in your court if she doesn't have a rate. i think $5/kid an hour is all around reasonable... if it's at least 2 hours... I'd say... Its weird though, sometimes I feel like I should pay a sitter more because I have 3 kids. The sitter I used to have didn't even charge me (credit card kid) but I felt bad for her working for free so I'd kick her $15 or $20 (she usually watched them over night after bed times)....
Full Time Photographer & All the Time Mother
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinforman View Post
We just moved, so I haven't figured out the going rate in our new state, but we paid $10 an hour when we lived in WA. We paid $8 when we only had one kid, but upped it when we had my youngest. We fell into the category of keep your babysitter happy- I want her to WANT to come and WANT to do a good job. I feel both of those are aided by a higher hourly wage.
thats very true.
Full Time Photographer & All the Time Mother
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I offer 5$ per hour per kid. I have two kids and usually average 3 hours out on date night or such. So usually about 30$. Our local daycare/drop in service usually is around 12-15$ per hour per kid. So yes I look cheap, we come from KC where everything is pricey it seems. Over here its usually about 8-10$ for CDC(daycare). We are not rich folks and if I'm paying 30$ for babysitter, 30$ for dinner, 15$ for a movie, plus gas and snacks... it adds up to quick. Guess that's part of the reason we only do date night once a year. If grandma watches them its free
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For two kids I pay $10 per hour if they drive. $7 per hour if they don't and I have to go get them.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmomma View Post
I offer 5$ per hour per kid. I have two kids and usually average 3 hours out on date night or such. So usually about 30$. Our local daycare/drop in service usually is around 12-15$ per hour per kid. So yes I look cheap, we come from KC where everything is pricey it seems. Over here its usually about 8-10$ for CDC(daycare). We are not rich folks and if I'm paying 30$ for babysitter, 30$ for dinner, 15$ for a movie, plus gas and snacks... it adds up to quick. Guess that's part of the reason we only do date night once a year. If grandma watches them its free
Getting $30 is a lot more than what I got from MOST families. Guess that's a KC thing But I don't mind it at all... I'm happy with $30 for a night, especially when a lot of times I get $10-20 for watching 5 kids for 5 or 6 hours... I think what you pay sounds perfect!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I pay mine $10/hr, for 3 kids. My kids are older, and really don't need much "sitting", but it keeps them happy, and they keep coming back whenever I ask. I use two teenagers (whichever is available for me when I need them), and they never say no. They usually just get a couple of hours on Tuesday and Thursday when I have to go skating, and mine and Tony's schedule overlap.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My cousin babysat all day and into the evening for us on Saturday, three kiddos, we gave her a $100 bill. I think that was fair, as she fed them two meals, supervised and/or gave baths and put them to bed.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresta View Post
My cousin babysat all day and into the evening for us on Saturday, three kiddos, we gave her a $100 bill. I think that was fair, as she fed them two meals, supervised and/or gave baths and put them to bed.
erm, need a babysitter? I could totally do it for that amount.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
erm, need a babysitter? I could totally do it for that amount.
hehe!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn