Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What kind of phone service do you have?

My son went on a band trip to California last month and it caused us to go over our monthly data limit (and pay an extra $15) on our AT&T plan. Not too bad, but it got me wondering if I should switch us to an unlimited plan.

So, what does your phone service look like and are you happy with it?
Is your family all on one plan?
Who do you use?
How much data do you get?
Do you still have/use a land line too?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have AT&T as well. My hubby, daughter and I are all on the same plan. I believe we get 15G/month or something like that. Occasionally we will go over and that drives me crazy because it usually means my daughter has used her phone too much while away from our wifi. We no longer use a landline. The only people that ever called were telemarketers and the blood bank asking for my donation when I'm overdue.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have verizon... and there are four people on our plan - hubby, me, my mom and my step dad. We have been with verizon for years! We think of changing, but other companies seem to have spotty coverage in our area. One would think that after all this time that wouldn't be a problem. But sitting in my house, a quarter mile from an interstate and I only have 2 bars.

I don't know the info on our plan - but it's one that the four of us would never use all the data in our plan in a month. Though, 90% of the time we are on wifi

We haven't had a landline in like 7 years? Maybe even longer... yes, has to be longer - we didn't have a fax machine after Jake was born and I was still hosting open houses for a local realtor. So, that means more like 10 years.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live in Canada and we don't have the options you have. Let me correct myself, we have options they are just very expensive. I am with Telus and on a corporate plan that includes both my son and I, saves me some money per month.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So, what does your phone service look like and are you happy with it? Yes and No. We are happy with the plan we have, but living in near/in the mountains, our reception is terrible which leads to 95% of our complaining!!

Is your family all on one plan?
Hubby and I are on the same plan, yes.

Who do you use?
AT&T

How much data do you get?
5GB because it's the smallest family plan they allow, even though we rarely ever go over 1.5GB. We are on a carry-over plan. Anything we don't use from the prior month gets added to our current month, up to a year. We are in the process of losing 3+ GB every month because we just don't use our phones very much.

Do you still have/use a land line too?
Yes! We have a landline for the kiddos to be able to use when we go out and for a more reliable phone conversation with my parents, who we talk every day!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 06-08-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, what does your phone service look like and are you happy with it?
We use Straight Talk, and have for 7 years. We're happy with it. We've lived in 4 different states with it and minimal service issues. Kids don't have a phone yet, but my husband and I each use a 45$ unlimited plan. Our smartphones are cheap androids so we don't use much data on them, mostly when we're on the road and need info or weather update. And we have no landline.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I switched in September from AT&T to Time Warner (now Spectrum cable) which has unlimited data. What a difference in speed!!! I used to have to leave the room when downloading my scrap purchases. Now it's done in seconds. I just recently switched to unlimited with Verizon for our cell phones. I love not nagging the kids to not watch YouTube on car trips.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have Verizon and there is 2 of us on one plan (hubby and I). We don't use all of our data.

We do still have a landline but I am not sure why since the only calls we get are telemarketers or donation calls.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a little bit of everything. DH gets a cell through work and the kids don't have phones yet, so I'm the only one on my plan. I get a limited amount of data (4 GB?), but I've never gone over. The only time it's even been at all close is when we're on vacation and I'm taking and uploading a lot of photos, using Google Maps and the Internet a lot, etc.

My cell plan is through AT&T. I'm a klutz and drop my phone all the time, so I switched to AT&T because they're the only ones that have the Samsung Galaxy Active, which can stand up to my abuse. Our oldest will probably be getting a phone in the next year or so, so I'll need to start looking into family plans then. There are plenty of months when I use the talk time on my phone for 10 minutes or less, and he's going to be the same, so we'll definitely prioritize data.

We still have a landline. It's for a lot of reasons--we still need it for the kids, especially when our oldest is home alone. It's bundled with our internet service, and for a long time it wasn't much more to have both than just internet (I don't think that's true anymore, unfortunately). And then there's the real reason we'll probably never give up our landline--DH and I aren't really phone people, and we both hate the idea of people constantly calling the phones we carry all day. People who might need to reach us, like family, schools, work, and close friends, have both numbers. But we generally give out the landline only. So far so good--almost all our telemarketing and fundraising calls still go to the landline, which is much more easily ignored.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have Verizon but not the traditional plan. I paid for my phone upfront (which was used so cheap $$$) and then only pay $45/mo for 5GB which I never even get close to using up since I use wifi whenever possible.

My husband has Straight Talk with a $50/mo unlimited plan.

We've priced out getting a traditional plan together with Verizon and it would be more let alone if we got new(er) phones to go with it.

I don't remember when we last had a landline. Maybe 2008 or 2009? The only people I know personally who have one are my parents & I call it a few times a month because my mother is notorious for not answering her cell phone or having it charged.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I switched from AT&T to Verizon 2 years ago and much prefer them over AT&T. The AT&T coverage always sucked even right here in town (I'd have to go outside to make phone calls when I'm right smack in the city and not near one single mountain or hill, etc.) They also had terrible customer service. I'm much happier with Verizon.

It's just me and Cheyanne - both iPhones with 8 GB of data. We usually don't go over but we did last month (but I keep it in safety mode so no overage charges). She had a lot of track meets where she was using the data on the long bus rides and during the long down times at the meets. Usually we have a couple GB of rollover data each month.

No land line for about 10 years or so... I rarely talk on the phone and since it was through the cable company it would go out when the internet went out and of course if the power went out the landline didn't work either, so cell phones are actually more reliable for us.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I live in Canada and we don't have the options you have. Let me correct myself, we have options they are just very expensive. I am with Telus and on a corporate plan that includes both my son and I, saves me some money per month.
Ditto. Our plans suck. And they don't reward people who stay with the same company, getting a new phone takes forever and is super expensive (as are the plans!) We aren't on a corporate plan though.

We pay about $180 a month for 2 phones, we share 4 GB of data and have unlimited text and Canada-wide calling (which we don't use lol)

Old 06-09-2017, 10:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and we no longer have a landline either

Old 06-10-2017, 12:22 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

We are with Verizon. Three phones with shared data. We typically don't go over but we have been losing our wi-fi connection in our own home lately. UGH! So my son was watching videos on his phone and didn't realize he wasn't on wi-fi. For the last 2 months we have gone over our data because of that. I'm not sure what we will do to solve that. I need to figure out how to boost our home wi-fi or something. We have been with Verizon for about 5 years, but we might switch to a cheaper company once our current contract ends in September.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
We are with Verizon. Three phones with shared data. We typically don't go over but we have been losing our wi-fi connection in our own home lately. UGH! So my son was watching videos on his phone and didn't realize he wasn't on wi-fi. For the last 2 months we have gone over our data because of that. I'm not sure what we will do to solve that. I need to figure out how to boost our home wi-fi or something. We have been with Verizon for about 5 years, but we might switch to a cheaper company once our current contract ends in September.
I read (at least on iPhones) that there was a setting to boost the connection when WiFi is unavailable or not strong by using your carrier's data when you don't even know it. Before I went to unlimited data, I turned this feature off so that I didn't use data accidentally.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have unlimited text and talk, but not data. Four of us share a Total Wireless plan and I pay $100 a month for our service. We chose it because we actually get reception at our house. We did not with our old carrier. We rarely use much data as we always have wifi accessible.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I will wait to see if the prices come down at all on unlimited data. Right now, we've only gotten close to the limit a few times and it's only $15 for an extra GB if we go over (compared to an extra $45 per month for unlimited data).

Our bigger expense right now is that my son dropped his phone while out biking to see some friends the other day. It was run over by a car and is totally ruined. Right now, I have him using an older phone I had already paid off and wasn't using. I'll have to see how long I'm going to punish him with that phone before getting him a new phone.