Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2023, 12:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas decorating

Next Christmas question...

When do you start decorating for Christmas?

I'm amazed to find Christmas already going up in stores right after school starts!

I usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not a Black Friday shopper, so I use that day to take down fall decorations and start on Christmas.

BUT, this year I am starting now. Our youngest graduates from college on Dec 16. We have lots of family coming (we live in Idaho and all of our family is still in CA). SO, I am going to be Clark Griswold this year. lol! I brought our big tree in yesterday. At least one of the smaller trees will come in today, and then the bins of decorations will come in.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

After sinterklaas ( saint nicolas) wich is dec 5 th
Old 11-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've already started!
Old 11-07-2023, 02:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

WE are hosting THanksgiving this year so we will decorate the day/weekend after Thanx.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nov. 12th or the weekend just after that. Our Thanksgiving is in October, so I wait until Remembrance Day is done. I like to put it up early and take it down before New Years lol

Old 11-07-2023, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Only after St. Nicholas Day, December 6

Old 11-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Definitely after Thanksgiving. I try to start right after, but sometimes I'm so busy that it's about a week before Christmas before I start decorating. I used to go all out; now it's minimal, because I don't like packing it all up.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

After Thanksgiving, typically the Sunday after, we do go out Black Friday shopping usually and then Saturday is the Michigan/Ohio state game, DH will not bring my tree up that day! LOL! I'll probably put the outside up this weekend or next though, just before the weather gets too nasty.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:33 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Usually after Thanksgiving if I decorate.

Not sure how much will get done this year since I'm still recovering from surgery and currently have the flu.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like to go get our tree the first weekend in December and put up all the decorations over the next week. Then everything comes down some time after January 6.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

congratulations to your son for graduating! What a great accomplishment!

We usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year, the vote is for a real tree which we will hopefully cut down on Sat after. I moved my fall/Thanksgiving decorations to a shellf and hook near my front door, with the idea that I will put up the Christmas decorations (minus tree) shortly! My youngest has already decorated her room for Christmas. Each of the girls has their own tree and decorations, so I'm sure they will each be decorating when they get home from College!

We are listening to Christmas music already and have watched a couple Hallmark/GAC Christmas movies!
Old 11-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will be doing it soon.

I put my Halloween decorations up mid Sept, took em down Nov 1st, then is basically Christmas around here til Jan 1st. lol

TV yule log flickering (my husband loves that one lol), holiday baking here and there, definitely Christmas music and I last night I watched my first Christmas horror movie. It was pretty good. I love that holiday horror movies are now a genre! I can not wait to see the Thanksgiving one lol!

I'm also doing cross stitches for everyone this year. Now that they are adults I make them something each other and then they get a bit of money to help with their bills. I have all but two cross stitches left to go. Most of them are pretty snarky lol
Old 11-07-2023, 10:09 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I usually do it the first week of December.

Congratulations on your son's graduation, sweetie!
Old 11-07-2023, 10:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're in the Philippines, where Christmas is celebrated in all the -ber months, so I compromise and put my tree up around the first of November. We're late this year because Joel is out of town, and there is no way that I am putting up the tree AND decorating it.

I'm decided to give up my dreams of decorating the tree as a family because NO ONE, not even me, likes it, and just decorate it myself, but I will absolutely require everyone to dress up at some point and take a family picture in front of it.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have absolutely no Thanksgiving rituals or traditions besides having lunch with my immediate family for a couple hours that Thursday so I tend to gloss over it and launch immediately into Christmas on November 1. Hubby took me Christmas decor shopping tonight as a matter of fact.

I received a gift card from work after I got married this fall so with Hubby's blessing to use it all on myself, I bought a 7 foot rainbow unicorn Christmas tree and hot pink lights for my office. It was delivered today so I'll have him put it up this weekend when we put up the rest of the decorations. We don't usually put up decorations until Thanksgiving weekend but I just feel extra cheer-y & extra grateful this year and want to revel in an extra-long season. Having been married to a Grinch for 14 years and now being married to someone who loves Christmas almost as much as I do just makes me so happy!

We will go to the tree farm the day after Christmas to cut down our tree & decorate it once we get home. We will decorate my parents' tree sometime Thanksgiving weekend depending on how everyone's schedule works out.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Leeandra- your tree sounds SO fun! I can't wait to see pictures!

If you follow me on any social media- You know that I'm ALL ABOUT CHRISTMAS! I've had a countdown posted every few days! It's 48 days until Christmas!

We usually decorate sometime in November. If we are home & hosting Thanksgiving, I try to wait, but sometimes am pulling stuff out that same evening. We aren't hosting this year, so I've slowly been putting stuff out. I think the big tree might come up from the basement this weekend. We have a CRAZY busy November & December, so it may take me some time to get it all out- and then I like to have time to enjoy it. We will also be gone the weekend before Christmas and then the week after, so I need more time! SO- now it is! I'm all about a big old Griswold Christmas!
Old 11-09-2023, 03:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So ... I started decorating Monday and finished up Tuesday evening! It's a little earlier than usual, but I was tired of seeing the fall stuff I had out. (And will, no doubt, be tired of the Christmas stuff by time the holiday rolls around - lol).
I usually put everything away on December 26!
Old 11-10-2023, 12:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's so fun to read about everyone's traditions! I can't wait to see all of your layouts this year!
Old 11-10-2023, 04:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Growing up we waited until the first week of December so I always followed that. Now I dread setting up the decorations so I let my teen do it. I know it's very grinchy but I just never have the time and then I gotta take it back down in a month anyway. I always wish that Christmas actually fell in late January when winter is in full cold and I need something to look forward to and more separated from Thanksgiving and New Year's. Maybe I wouldn't feel so stressed about it all then.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Won’t be until after thanksgiving- we host both thanksgiving and Christmas, otherwise Christmas would be up already. I’m so ready to decorate…
Old 11-10-2023, 11:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Decorating begins after Thanksgiving as soon as I can get my husband to bring in the decor from under the house. Takes me a couple days to really switch out fall to holidays mostly because my back doesn't like it when I'm on my feet for hours. LOL. (Or maybe that's not so funny but hey, that's my life)